tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Cork Hurlers - Page 2 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password
Closed Thread

Old 22-10-2008, 12:19 PM

Players’ representatives on the coaching selection committee never made sense. It was always going to compromise the players & it was a masterstroke by Frank Murphy. It is a disaster for Cork hurling. If Gerald Mac can’t command the respect of the existing group of players then he has no hope of developing our emerging talent. It is plain to see that the Cork hurling team has gone backwards over the past 2 years. There is no clear direction or strategy. The good performances we had this year were down to the individual skills & honesty of effort from our players and in spite of our piss poor management. The consolation I had after our defeat to KK was that at least Gerald Mac would retire and we still had the nucleus of a good team…we are now doomed for another 2 years. I have no doubt come championship time our players will represent the Blood ‘n Bandages with their customary pride, passion & skill. However I believe All Irelands are out of our reach while the current management team remains intact. Depressing…Inept government & inept Cork hurling management – it is time to emigrate! Conor and his footballers may be the one shining light for 2009.
Old 22-10-2008, 12:24 PM

Mass retirements might not be necessarily a bad thing.

We are gonna have to start blooding young fellas at some stage.

No one wants to see anyone go who is still capable of making a contribution but if someone wants to retire because of personal issues then fine.

We are where we are now and have to get on with it..
Old 22-10-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelred View Post
I would not be surprised if the bulk of the present side just decided to walk. Ultimately, until there are serious changes at board level and that includes club delegates, we will be going nowhere

Youre right there.
Old 22-10-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAvon08 View Post
Players’ representatives on the coaching selection committee never made sense. It was always going to compromise the players & it was a masterstroke by Frank Murphy. It is a disaster for Cork hurling. If Gerald Mac can’t command the respect of the existing group of players then he has no hope of developing our emerging talent. It is plain to see that the Cork hurling team has gone backwards over the past 2 years. There is no clear direction or strategy. The good performances we had this year were down to the individual skills & honesty of effort from our players and in spite of our piss poor management. The consolation I had after our defeat to KK was that at least Gerald Mac would retire and we still had the nucleus of a good team…we are now doomed for another 2 years. I have no doubt come championship time our players will represent the Blood ‘n Bandages with their customary pride, passion & skill. However I believe All Irelands are out of our reach while the current management team remains intact. Depressing…Inept government & inept Cork hurling management – it is time to emigrate! Conor and his footballers may be the one shining light for 2009.
Sad but true we can write off the next two years.How can you compete with the cats with 1 hand tied behind your back.Oh well we might scrape a win against waterford.
Old 22-10-2008, 12:48 PM
PROC Member

The whole situation was summed up well by a previous poster on another topic...

In 4 years under Donal O'Grady and John Allen we won 2 Munster Championships and 2 All-Ireland while contesting 4 All-Ireland finals. The County Board and Frank Murphy took a back seat to the Hurlers and the management.

Frank Murphy and the Co Board are again in the driving seat and have been since Gerald McCarthys appointment and we have lost 5 Championship games.

Even the most successful managers in the past are only ever given a 1 year extension and now Gerald is given two! Something stinks.

But fear not. Frank is where he wants to be (in control) and if it is good for Frank it must be good for Cork GAA.

The dictator MUST go. Surely he can see he is bad for Cork GAA.
Old 22-10-2008, 12:51 PM
PROC Member

Just thinking, the two selectors posts will be very interesting.

If Teddy McCarthy is given one, it will be done to rile the hurlers. I'd say Frank would love one himself!!
Old 22-10-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Banker View Post
Just thinking, the two selectors posts will be very interesting.

If Teddy McCarthy is given one, it will be done to rile the hurlers. I'd say Frank would love one himself!!
Im sure bob honohan can be fitted in somewhere.
Old 22-10-2008, 01:09 PM

I have to say I'm totally and utterly depressed by it all. Kilkenny will be half way to 40 before we even get our act together.

Frank and his executive of yes men sit in their Ivory Tower and don't give 2 fucks about Cork hurling or football. They are engrossed in their own self-importance. They are there to administrate, not to rule. Its not a hard theory to grasp. This would NEVER happen in Kilkenny.

Donal Og and John Ga abstained from the vote so it was 5 to nothing in favour of Gerald. A mass revolt from the grass-routes up is the only way to bring change. But they probably wouldn't even hear that cry from their narcissistic world above
Old 22-10-2008, 01:18 PM

Gerald rejected the pleas of 9 players and took the job anyway.
Old 22-10-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youghal Exile View Post
Gerald rejected the pleas of 9 players and took the job anyway.
The players agreed to this system.

If they strike I won't support them and neither will most people.