Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 23-05-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmona View Post
Did 14k with him at 4min/km which would have been very hard on my tod.
That's a decent session!

Sounds like you are in top shape for that HM. I was going great guns (relatively speaking) until hammy hamster nailed me on Sunday. Cue some seriously violent dry-needling on Tuesday night. So, back for a light spin tomorrow and we'll see how that goes.

Am entered the Half in Cork. Pace will depend on recovery from the above
Old 23-05-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmona View Post
You've been keeping a bit quiet lad. Any plans for the next few months? And don't be talking about 4 and 1/2 mile races in Carrigaline now FFS.

Real racing. 10ks, Half Marathons, even the 42.2k distance..........
Things were going well race-wise since Boston (close to PB for 5 mile & 10k) but I couldn’t walk properly will knee pain so decided to call a halt and get it sorted. Dry needling on Mon & the stretches I was told to do helped a lot. Still messed up any hopes of the JB 5k and I was also not willing to waste the price of a Cork half entry.
Will continue physio/exercises but need to find a new target too (risk of a lack of focus increased after I decided to part ways with the coach was giving me online advice/plans as it wasn’t worth what I was paying for it)
Old 23-05-2019, 06:32 PM
Senior PROC Member

Yeah, the old focus and lack of it is always a danger. Pick a decent race or two in Autumn and give 'em a lash. At this stage you should be well able to design your own schedule. Although for a marathon I think I need something structured. For anything less I'm happy to make up my own plan. Have never paid a coach but wouldn't mind a club set up.
Old 24-05-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackpoolTerrier View Post
Lads,
Who's lined up for Cork on Sunday fortnight?

smurf - HM (1:30 pacer)
BpT - HM

tomasY, you're surely lined up for a sub-3 in the full?

Anyone on relay duty?

smurf - HM (1:30 pacer)
BpT - HM
Markyboy - HM

Some great PB's, running and descriptions from the other night. Excellent stuff!
Old 25-05-2019, 06:48 PM

A bit away I know but the Norwegians have 14 degrees, cloudy and very little breeze.

https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Cork/long.html
Old 26-05-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyboy View Post
A bit away I know but the Norwegians have 14 degrees, cloudy and very little breeze.

https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Cork/long.html
It's amazing how the weather has flipped over the past three days even - well hot and muggy out there this morning -even when we were starting at half past seven.

The HM itself doesn't start until mid-morning so it will be a sweatfest for sure. A bit of misty rain like today would do no harm at all. However, most of the long-range sites are starting to talk about 19 degrees, humid and broken cloud by the middle of the day. Carnage on the straight road!

We had a decent spin this morning - 15 miles including the HM course with the last five around or slightly under the 7:00 mark. We even ran up North Main Street and around to the finish line. Christ that North Main St. stretch is treacherous underfoot. As you run the course you are once again reminded how it was draw by someone with a pen, a ruler, and a desk job in City Hall - it's non-stop pulls, drags, ramps, detours and 90-degree bends but sure it doesn't pass any churches so 'twill be grand
Old 26-05-2019, 11:47 AM

Jesus I forgot about North Main St ...
Old 26-05-2019, 04:10 PM
Senior PROC Member

Errah, by the time you're in the North Main St you know you're almost there.

A major factor for me was getting to the turn down the lane off Model Farm rd. Any time in a marathon, especially in the second half/last third, that you're running away from the finish is mentally tough. I remember using the lane and then the Straight Rd as huge motivation. Downhill (slight, but we'll take it), westerly breeze at your back, hopefully!!, and headed towards home.

No comment.
Old 26-05-2019, 06:54 PM

First year I ran Cork doing 15 miles of a relay, I know 🙄, coming around onto the straight road I told this American lady doing the full, “once you hit the apartments by the lights on Wester Road you’re as good as finished” Longest stretch of road ever. Never got any closer to the bastarding apartments.
Old 27-05-2019, 01:11 PM

Whats the general consensus on the marathon plans? Having not followed one in the my last few outings, I was thinking of dipping my toes back in, just for the structure and so the missus can follow what Ive planned.