tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Cheltenham - Page 10 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 15-03-2019, 07:33 PM
Gregory_Mike Gregory_Mike is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,317
Default

Mullins finally tastes Gold Cup joy.

Another note, it's now time for Paul Townend to replace Ruby as #1 jockey for WM. Ruby really needs to retire, while he can still get out in one piece. Unfortunately, his vanity and arrogance will probably not allow this to happen.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 15-03-2019, 07:38 PM
an liathroid beag an liathroid beag is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 14,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory_Mike View Post
Mullins finally tastes Gold Cup joy.

Another note, it's now time for Paul Townend to replace Ruby as #1 jockey for WM. Ruby really needs to retire, while he can still get out in one piece. Unfortunately, his vanity and arrogance will probably not allow this to happen.
I agree with you--he is past his prime
__________________
A woman drove me to drink!-and I forgot to thank her!
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 15-03-2019, 07:55 PM
Cloudy O'Ranieri Cloudy O'Ranieri is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 15,835
Default

Surely he can find one last hotpot mare to jump off at the last before he retires.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 15-03-2019, 08:03 PM
Gregory_Mike Gregory_Mike is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy O'Ranieri View Post
Surely he can find one last hotpot mare to jump off at the last before he retires.
Sponsored by Paddy Power of course.

Pretty interesting research below, very telling indeed about Ruby "jump off at the last" Walsh.

https://www.attheraces.com/article/570435
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 15-03-2019, 09:10 PM
Cloudy O'Ranieri Cloudy O'Ranieri is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 15,835
Default

I notice John Duggan did ok in the end. His own behaviour and gambling behavioural advice can sometimes be questionable at best but I'd be fairly sure the actual Horse selections he has put up, over many years now, have been profitable to level stakes.

He tipped up Aurora's Encore a few years back to win the National at 80/1, for one, as well as plenty other very decent priced winners at various festivals down the years.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 15-03-2019, 09:53 PM
Happyhonkaman Happyhonkaman is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 19,250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy O'Ranieri View Post
I notice John Duggan did ok in the end. His own behaviour and gambling behavioural advice can sometimes be questionable at best but I'd be fairly sure the actual Horse selections he has put up, over many years now, have been profitable to level stakes.

He tipped up Aurora's Encore a few years back to win the National at 80/1, for one, as well as plenty other very decent priced winners at various festivals down the years.
Would you seriously consider someone who spends endless amounts of time watching and researching something, only to break even / just about be profitable worthy of giving people advice?

Really? What kind of fucked up reality is this?
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 15-03-2019, 10:02 PM
Cloudy O'Ranieri Cloudy O'Ranieri is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 15,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
Would you seriously consider someone who spends endless amounts of time watching and researching something, only to break even / just about be profitable worthy of giving people advice?

Really? What kind of fucked up reality is this?
Wut?

First of all, I'd say his radio tips are reasonably well up.

Secondly, since when is being break even or being in modest profit a bad thing from betting?

Like anybody else, I disagree with people letching on to bookmakers as sponsorship bedfellows, and his carry on on the radio and other media can be fairly cringe at the best of times but there's nothing stopping people stripping all of that back and making judgement calls on the most basic part of his musings.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 15-03-2019, 10:07 PM
Happyhonkaman Happyhonkaman is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 19,250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy O'Ranieri View Post
Wut?

First of all, I'd say his radio tips are reasonably well up.

Secondly, since when is being break even or being in modest profit a bad thing from betting?

Like anybody else, I disagree with people letching on to bookmakers as sponsorship bedfellows, and his carry on on the radio and other media can be fairly cringe at the best of times but there's nothing stopping people stripping all of that back and making judgement calls on the most basic part of his musings.
Dan, I’m not a gambler as well you know, but in any other walk of life breaking even is the absolute base level of business, it’s the minimum requirement and considered nothing near success. Are you seriously suggesting it is?
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 15-03-2019, 10:30 PM
Cloudy O'Ranieri Cloudy O'Ranieri is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 15,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
Dan, I’m not a gambler as well you know, but in any other walk of life breaking even is the absolute base level of business, it’s the minimum requirement and considered nothing near success. Are you seriously suggesting it is?
Betting/gambling is different, depending on outlook. If you see it as a leisure activity, breaking even absolutely IS a great result, without question. Imagine if you could have a few pints every week, go to the cinema, watch your favourite team, or whatever, for free over a lifetime.

If you see it as a more serious pursuit then, certainly, very long term breaking even or small profit would be a bit frustrating.

Breaking even, making a small loss or small profit over a four day period, or even quite a more significant period, is absolutely not a disaster by any means.

This is possibly where the breaking point could be for some people: they get frustrated and lose the run of themselves, make bets that they wouldn't usually at stakes that they wouldn't usually, and it can get out of control. But, it doesn't have to. That's where the discipline comes in.

If you don't have a "walk away, tomorrow's another day" attitude towards the game then it isn't for you.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 15-03-2019, 11:03 PM
finbarrog finbarrog is offline
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy O'Ranieri View Post
Betting/gambling is different, depending on outlook. If you see it as a leisure activity, breaking even absolutely IS a great result, without question. Imagine if you could have a few pints every week, go to the cinema, watch your favourite team, or whatever, for free over a lifetime.

If you see it as a more serious pursuit then, certainly, very long term breaking even or small profit would be a bit frustrating.

Breaking even, making a small loss or small profit over a four day period, or even quite a more significant period, is absolutely not a disaster by any means.

This is possibly where the breaking point could be for some people: they get frustrated and lose the run of themselves, make bets that they wouldn't usually at stakes that they wouldn't usually, and it can get out of control. But, it doesn't have to. That's where the discipline comes in.

If you don't have a "walk away, tomorrow's another day" attitude towards the game then it isn't for you.
Are you the same Dan like Beamish or One?
Imagine a winning Jockey from Midleton won the Gold Cup. He could have been dropped because of what happened in Punchestown but people had faith in him.
Keep that in mind when you like salting our sports people in Midleton. Denis Leary wrotea good song about people like yourself.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 03:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.