Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Music Forum
User Name
Password

Old 21-12-2007, 04:02 AM

Default Nunataks

Great band in their day but i am not sure if their music survived the test of time having listened to the Kaught at the Kampus e.p. recently.Some crack seeing them in the 'ARC' back in the old days though
Old 21-12-2007, 11:38 AM

i'd be inclined to agree with that (going on recordings alone, bearing in mind i never saw either band), fgdtts sound like a better band, as if nunattax were the rough draft and fgdtts the developed idea (for those not in the know, fgdtts featured two (or was it three? help me out here jim comic or p mcd) members of nunattax)
either way, the background to these bands is a vital part of cork heritage in general, not just musical
Old 21-12-2007, 01:54 PM

Ditto that.The only pity is that Donnellys life was cut off so early.I wonder what he would have gone on to do.Something very interesting no doubt.I remember him well.He was a good friend of my sister and a regular visitor to our house.We grew up 5 houses apart.Lovely bloke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor a View Post
i'd be inclined to agree with that (going on recordings alone, bearing in mind i never saw either band), fgdtts sound like a better band, as if nunattax were the rough draft and fgdtts the developed idea (for those not in the know, fgdtts featured two (or was it three? help me out here jim comic or p mcd) members of nunattax)
either way, the background to these bands is a vital part of cork heritage in general, not just musical
Old 21-12-2007, 02:25 PM

i remember as a kid seeing donnely on 'anything goes' one sat morning singing 'white cortina'

after that, i kept spotting him around town

bald head, brown suit & a strange gait!
Old 21-12-2007, 02:32 PM

The very man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj complex View Post
i remember as a kid seeing donnely on 'anything goes' one sat morning singing 'white cortina'

Old 21-12-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor a View Post
(for those not in the know, fgdtts featured two (or was it three? help me out here jim comic or p mcd) members of nunattax)
two i think, though i could be wrong

---------------------------------------
CMJ Print
https://www.facebook.com/Choc-A-Bloc...7028939951391/
Old 21-12-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcork View Post
Great band in their day but i am not sure if their music survived the test of time having listened to the Kaught at the Kampus e.p. recently.Some crack seeing them in the 'ARC' back in the old days though

i think ricky's guitar work would stand comparison with almost any post-punk band, 'tis awesome

CMJ Print
Old 22-12-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj complex View Post

intriguing, inspiring character, no doubt about it
Old 22-12-2007, 01:54 PM

The late Bill Graham of Hot Press was a big supporter. There was an article in HP about the Cork music scene at the time and a classic picture of Finbarr with a candystripe haircut. He was, AFAIK, Cork's first "punk" though I stand to be corrected on this.

As part of a scene, the music was relevant but not everything. I remember him willing people on to spit at him and sticking his head further into the crowd to ensure he was covered in it.

FGDTTS were a different kettle of fish altogether.

Ricky Dineen was a very important part in this whole process and was Finbarr Donnelly's friend, who was in his band, which was brilliant.
Old 22-12-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyboy View Post

As part of a scene, the music was relevant but not everything. I remember him willing people on to spit at him
is that a confession?

CMJ Print