Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 23-05-2006, 03:20 PM

Default Anyone going to the World Cup?

I know whre not in it but it would be a great holiday anyway. I have some time off at the start of July so i might head to Munich for one the semi-final games. Even if i don't get a ticket it would still be a great experince.
Old 23-05-2006, 03:33 PM

Ya me and a buddy are thinking about heading over for 3 or 4 weeks in a camper van and try & take in as much of it as possible, anyone have any ideas on where you can hire camper vans, and do ye think it would be easy enough to pick up tickets for the early games?
Old 23-05-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy Wagon
Ya me and a buddy are thinking about heading over for 3 or 4 weeks in a camper van and try & take in as much of it as possible, anyone have any ideas on where you can hire camper vans, and do ye think it would be easy enough to pick up tickets for the early games?
I was reading in the Times on Sunday that nearly every single camper van available for rent in Europe has been snapped up for the World Cup, so I'd say you've missed the boat there lad.
Old 23-05-2006, 03:45 PM

This was on Ananova last month:

Fans buy up vans for World Cup trip
Thousands of supporters have rented or bought everything from classic VW camper vans to huge seven-berth, American-style motorhomes. British eccentricity, a love of football and prices at German hotels have combined to create this impending motorised invasion.
'We're fully booked in June because of the World Cup, and are turning away six people a day,' said Peter Maynard of Elite Motorhomes, in Banbury, Oxon, one of Britain's largest operators. 'Our entire fleet of 37 vehicles is already booked and there's no availability at all for motorhome rental across the UK in June.'

Jonathan Graham, a Suffolk builder, and three mates will head to Germany in the 1968 VW Bay Window Type Two van he bought for ’800 a decade ago. 'We all like the idea of a camper van, especially with the VW's German links,' said David Finn, one of the friends. 'It gives us the chance to do something a bit different.'

Joanne Ezekiel, of the German National Tourist Office in London, said that 15-20 per cent of the many hundreds of fans she has spoken to are travelling in a motorhome. 'We didn't have much interest in camper vans and campsites before the World Cup, but now we're getting a lot of inquiries,' she added.

A Football Association spokesman said: 'England fans always travel to tournaments in huge numbers and show remarkable creativity in finding means of transport to get there.'
Old 23-05-2006, 03:48 PM

Fcuk........
Old 23-05-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy Wagon

I know a guy who is renting one in Holland and then driving around Germany. He booked it about 2 months ago tough. I checked out hostels and they were not full but that is for the semi-final so no one knows who is playing yet. The group games would be a different matter i would say.
Just buy an old hiace and throw a mattress in the back. Sorted!
Old 24-05-2006, 08:46 AM

headin to frankurt for what i hope will be a quarter final clash of brazil vs spain. No tickets or anything but we'll soak up the atmosphere. The milk bottle tan is gonna stick a mile out
Old 24-05-2006, 02:17 PM

Wink

Me and a couple of mates are re renting a camper in Belgium - check www.dicar.be

Very close to Germany - not a sniff of tickets yet - have been trying for 3 months and its not looking good - most of them gobbled up by sponsors and even those ones seem to be mainly with countries that have qualified. These things have a knack of working themselves out though (or so I'm telling my wife).
Old 24-05-2006, 02:18 PM

I'd love to share a camper van with a few young guys who are up for a bit of craic
Old 24-05-2006, 02:33 PM

We're old