Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 14-04-2018, 12:52 AM
Senior PROC Member

Rugger has benefited massively from it Billy.

It would largely eliminate cheating overnight.
Old 14-04-2018, 09:58 AM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Billy Davies View Post
Don't mind me, Dan. I just hate change. I'm old skool.
You're right Billy. Until they can make decisions very quickly, keep it out. I don't want two minute stoppages in the game just to decide the outer corner of Mata's knee was offside.

Football needs to flow. VAR in its current format will ruin it.
Old 14-04-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
You're right Billy. Until they can make decisions very quickly, keep it out. I don't want two minute stoppages in the game just to decide the outer corner of Mata's knee was offside.

That's basically it. It's not like Rugby at all where things are generally black and white. No way it should be used for fouls. Only offsides.
Old 14-04-2018, 01:38 PM
Senior PROC Member

It's going to have teething problems but ffs it's inevitable that it will be introduced. Completely regressive move by the premier league clubs.
Old 14-04-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Agree totally..It will destroy the game. .football's a free flowing game unlike rugger..part of the fun is getting decisions for and against over the years..var would have destroyed the happiness of Diegos hand ball or 66 linesman goal or Clive Thomas in 78 Argentina. .i live football for all these things even when they go against me..I don't want American football with time outs to check decisions. .
Old 16-04-2018, 11:04 PM

Location: Sitting in my underpants eating Meanies watching Jerry Springer repeats

A penalty was awarded after players had already left the pitch for half-time in Mainz's Bundesliga win over relegation rivals Freiburg on Monday.

Referee Guido Winkmann called both sides back from the dressing room after consulting the video assistant referee (VAR) system and penalising Freiburg for handball.

Mainz midfielder Pablo de Blasis scored the penalty to put the hosts 1-0 up.

The second half was delayed by fans throwing toilet paper onto the pitch.

It was not related to the penalty decision but instead a protest against Bundesliga fixtures being played on Monday nights.

De Blasis scored a second on 78 minutes to secure victory, taking Mainz above Freiburg on goal difference and eight points clear of automatic relegation, while putting the visitors into the relegation play-off spot in 16th.

Mainz initially had the penalty appeal turned down after right-back Daniel Brosinski's cross deflected off Freiburg centre-back Marc-Oliver Kempf's hand and was saved by keeper Alexander Schwolow.

As the players departed the pitch, Winkmann was told to consult VAR and ran over to the other side of the pitch to watch the replay on a monitor.

Winkmann overturned the decision and awarded the hosts a penalty before having to recall the entire Freiburg side and the handful of Mainz players who had left the pitch.

Following a delay of over six minutes De Blasis scored the penalty in the bottom left corner and Winkmann blew again for half-time, during which the unfortunate Kempf was substituted.

De Blasis added a lucky second as his shot rolled over the line after hitting the inside of the post, with Schwolow out of his goal having passed the ball straight to Mainz midfielder Robin Quaison.

Potentially one of the most vital goals in the fight at the bottom, but a new low for VAR.

The ref maybe shouldn't have sent them off as quickly, it depends on how quickly VAR contacted him.

The problem is not the technology, it is the process. I can't understand why referees are involved in the decision-making process at all, if it is to be used for clear and obvious errors, surely the VAR has to tell the referee what the decision is.

In this case you've got a couple thousand fans off to the bar and they come back thinking it is 0-0.

I still think the penalty is debatable.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43791511
Old 17-04-2018, 09:03 AM

Jokeshop stuff
Old 17-04-2018, 09:55 AM

great stuff - no point rolling out something that's not yet ready

The gobshites running FIFA should take note and reverse their decision to have it this summer
Old 17-04-2018, 10:57 AM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco 2005 View Post
great stuff - no point rolling out something that's not yet ready

The gobshites running FIFA should take note and reverse their decision to have it this summer
Na.

Let the whole world see how shit it is. It'll be abandoned by the last 16.
Old 17-04-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Na.

Let the whole world see how shit it is. It'll be abandoned by the last 16.
With a bit of luck a big nation gets shafted by a dodgy VAR decision in the 96th minute.