Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 20-06-2018, 05:09 PM
Senior PROC Member

Dara having a dig at Ronan Mac in his article in the times, basically saying that he was not about trying to bully some Kerry players in his playing days but that he was very selective about the target of his bullying avoiding the hard chaws of the Kerry team and only picking soft targets--still a fucker!
Old 20-06-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an liathroid beag View Post
Dara having a dig at Ronan Mac in his article in the times, basically saying that he was not about trying to bully some Kerry players in his playing days but that he was very selective about the target of his bullying avoiding the hard chaws of the Kerry team and only picking soft targets--still a fucker!
I have to say it was a snide comment to leave in but not untypical, surprised the toimes ghost writer went with it
Old 20-06-2018, 05:52 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior footballer View Post
I have to say it was a snide comment to leave in but not untypical, surprised the toimes ghost writer went with it
that man is a pure prick and we shouldn't even be bothered discussing his opinion - he was a great player but a bit of a prick and I would have a lot less time for him than either of his two younger brothers. Dara was a dirty, cynical bastard who was also very selective himself in who he targeted and I never saw him getting stuck into the likes of Pearce O' Neill for example but instead preferred to target Nicholas who was a very clean footballer for a midfielder.

I hope Ronan Mac doesn't rise to this crap. Let the Cork team do his talking on the field and if they are good enough then fantastic but if they are not then go away and prepare to improve for next year - we are going in the right direction and nobody in the country is overjoyed that Cork are finally waking up as a football county but most especially, Kerry. Too many ex Kerry footballers in the media now so it is all lopsided opinion but let them talk away and Cork should keep their mouth shut.
Old 20-06-2018, 06:04 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightHalfBack View Post
that man is a pure prick and we shouldn't even be bothered discussing his opinion - he was a great player but a bit of a prick and I would have a lot less time for him than either of his two younger brothers. Dara was a dirty, cynical bastard who was also very selective himself in who he targeted and I never saw him getting stuck into the likes of Pearce O' Neill for example but instead preferred to target Nicholas who was a very clean footballer for a midfielder.

I hope Ronan Mac doesn't rise to this crap. Let the Cork team do his talking on the field and if they are good enough then fantastic but if they are not then go away and prepare to improve for next year - we are going in the right direction and nobody in the country is overjoyed that Cork are finally waking up as a football county but most especially, Kerry. Too many ex Kerry footballers in the media now so it is all lopsided opinion but let them talk away and Cork should keep their mouth shut.
Pierse O Neill had his measure and Dara could not hack it and usually got sent off! He perfected the art of the knee into Nicolas Murphys kidneys as he always jumped behind him for a high ball-still a fucker-- his two brothers were gentlemen in comparison with him
Old 20-06-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel CNC View Post
Ok Westy - fair point. Duly noted.
You might however pass your final point there to Darragh, Tomás , Bomber etc who are prone to pen an article the week before an AI final or semi final involving Kerry that might as well have been written directly to referee warning them to watch out for shenanigans at kickout/tackle/steps taken, etc by Dublin/Mayo/Tyrone etc.

Usually goes along the line of "AN Other is a good, strong minded ref and he'll need to be because (insert Kerry opponents here) have a tendency to..... "
I'm fairly sure I'm on record here as saying that 98/99% of stuff written in the media is rubbish that should be ignored. That includes Darragh, Tomás, Bomber and a whole lot more..great players, but clueless as managers (Bomber did win 1 Senior county 15 years ago to be fair) and average analysts of the game. At best. The odd good yarn but that's it.

Any sensible person would treat the stuff in the media for what it is - hot air or spoofing. Look at Jim Gavin, no point listening to anything he says to the media as he has perfected the art of saying a lot, but saying nothing. The likes of Fitzmaurice then would put you to sleep listening to them. Forget the media bullsh*t. It's irrelevant.
Old 20-06-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothewest View Post
Sorry now, but this is absolute horsesh*t. Moaning about refs 3 days before the game? Do you honestly think that all the refs from the 4 provinces gather and say "I love Kerry so lets give them as much leeway as we can"?
If you do then I suggest you've been watching too much Fox News.

There have been a hell of a lot of big games in last few years that the refs have made a lot of poor decisions against Kerry, but that's just referees for you. They are inconsistent, some of them don't really know the game very well IMO (a lot of them never kicked an O'Neills I'd say) and some of them develop sizeable egos too.
John Bannon wrote a few columns in the Examiner slating refs, when he was an absolute clown himself.
The referee only gets moaned about when teams lose as an excuse to cover incomptence usually. Lot of Kerry fans did it in 2011 I remember, going on a crusade against Joe McQuillan. He made a few bad calls, but Kerry had control of that game and f*cked it away themselves, that's the reality.

Let's dispense with this notion that any county gets better/worse rub from refs. Take the ref out of the equation and get on with the game.
Wouldn't disagree with any of this.
It's all pretty fair IMO.

And bad refereeing decisions do affect all counties. Not surprisingly I haven't seen the Dubs on the wrong end of too many for the last while.
"He who controls the narrative.."
Dublin play excellent football. But to be fair to Fitzmaurice (was it last year or the year before) they have a nasty side when necessary.
And have tended to get away with a lot.

That to my mind goes back to support.
And the influence that support can have on an outcome. Particularly on a big occasion. How it can influence referees. And not to mind giving your team a lift when needed.

One of Dublin's biggest assets is the support they get. Home and away.
And it has had a huge influence on match day.

I saw it first hand in the 2016 semi final. In my view (and I was about 25 yards from it and had a perfect view) not only should Kerry have been awarded a free in but I thought it was a stonewalled sending off for Kevin McMenamin when he poleaxed Crowley.
The problem was no one moved. There was hardly any reaction by the crowd nearest the incident. Because they were all Dubs.
Gough later claimed he didn't see it.
And you'd take him on his word. I don't think he did see it.
But if 10,000 Kerrymen jump up and go ballistic you make him at least think about a decision. As it was he just waved play on.

Another example. Last July v Mayo
I, and another 300 Cork people, made up the crowd of about 14k in the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick. As in 13,700 from Mayo. At one point The Donch kicked one of his loopers. And everyone including yours truly could see it was about 2ft wide.
Problem was the twit of an umpire pulled the flag.
Well I never heard the most feral roar as the entire Mayo support went mental.
Deegan immediately went into Brannigan who directed the umpires to cancel the point.
A game that went to extra time. And ultimately we lost by a single point.

That's a long-winded way of saying the abysmal and frankly disgraceful support our footballers have received down the years has had a much bigger impact in my view on our poor record in crunch games.

Yet the reputation persists:
"Oh they always let you down"
"Ah they throw the towel in too easy"
"They haven't a hope of winning the All Ireland"

The great irony of course is that all 3 descriptions above could just as easily be laid at the hurlers door across the last twenty years who've let us down now on I don't know how many occasions at this stage.
Yet people still back them in their droves.

And sadly our biggest failing will come back to haunt us once again on Saturday night. When another utterly disgraceful home crowd fails to turn up and get behind the team.

I'm still hopeful. But wouldn't be holding my breath..
Old 20-06-2018, 11:16 PM

Great stuff here. Look Dublin have got more decisions in their favour in big games then any other county in the last few seasons.

An outplayed Chiarrai in 2016 would have got a draw or more if Gough gave the deserved free in and sent McManamin off. McQuillan screwed Maigh Eo in 17. I was banned from Res Dubs for suggesting Dubs aren't all that and a bag of chips.

Back to Saturday and this will be a serious tough game for Chiarrai. Looking forward to seeing Clifford in action again and the full forward line excites me, but some reservations about our defence still and pace in particular.

Interesting Cork team named but I think McCarthy has a few tricks planned and will not be surprised to see some changes.
Old 21-06-2018, 12:31 AM

I like the team. Sam Ryan is awkward, sticky and quick on the turn - I have high hopes for him as a corner back and if he can come through it Saturday, he will be flying it. Crowley is better at half back. Loads of football - only used in corner because of needs must be this guy has too much football to be back there.

I think we might see White go back to half back and Cronin could be sweeper. Collins will come out as a half forward then with Connolly and Rourke inside. The 2 half forwards will drop deep but carry ball. We’ve no shortage in size.

I would worry about the lack of match fitness on the bench. Hurley, Kerrigan, Loughrey, Driscoll and O’Neill have all carried injures. Not sure CON is ready at all. Would have selected a fit Vaughan or Sherlock on bench.

We’ve also got no free taker for frees in the right side but Connolly will take them all I’d imagine. I just want to see us go hard at it and give it a go. Nothing worse than seeing the shite we saw last year in Killarney!
Old 21-06-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
I like the team. Sam Ryan is awkward, sticky and quick on the turn - I have high hopes for him as a corner back and if he can come through it Saturday, he will be flying it. Crowley is better at half back. Loads of football - only used in corner because of needs must be this guy has too much football to be back there.

I think we might see White go back to half back and Cronin could be sweeper. Collins will come out as a half forward then with Connolly and Rourke inside. The 2 half forwards will drop deep but carry ball. We’ve no shortage in size.

I would worry about the lack of match fitness on the bench. Hurley, Kerrigan, Loughrey, Driscoll and O’Neill have all carried injures. Not sure CON is ready at all. Would have selected a fit Vaughan or Sherlock on bench.

We’ve also got no free taker for frees in the right side but Connolly will take them all I’d imagine. I just want to see us go hard at it and give it a go. Nothing worse than seeing the shite we saw last year in Killarney!
Bang on great post !
Old 21-06-2018, 08:54 AM

Jesus, Kerrymen complaining about biased refs. Will ye ever get bored with the half-cute olagón-ing nonsense...