Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Music Forum
User Name
Password

Old 17-09-2010, 07:57 PM

thought it was brilliant myself!! really didn't know what to expect, but while i was watching it i thought, 'yeah, this is it'!!

smashing guy, he stayed back for ages talking to folks, really sorry to be missing his seminar tonight

hats off to de barra's!! fair play for the footage sparkle.
Old 18-09-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar View Post
thought it was brilliant myself!! really didn't know what to expect, but while i was watching it i thought, 'yeah, this is it'!!

smashing guy, he stayed back for ages talking to folks, really sorry to be missing his seminar tonight

hats off to de barra's!! fair play for the footage sparkle.
Brilliant? Come off it. I often wonder do people try and convince themselves they 'get' these things in order not to reveal the truth - that it's a disappointment.

I'm a huge SY fan, and I love a bit of noise. My record collection is immersed in it, but last night's performance could not be enjoyed musically. Sure, he manipulated white noise for a bit, but it was just that - noise. There was hardly any background trickle of melody - he just stood there, swinging and bashing at the thing. I met him after - a lovely guy, and even he admitted it was a bizarre show. It was interesting, but dreadful to listen to. Not at all surprised, btw, as I know, like Branca, he's into the more avant-garde style of performance art, but it was just a collection of sheer noise, and little else. You weren't the guy in the Husker DU t, were you?
Old 18-09-2010, 01:41 AM

Things aren't there to be "got". Like James Brown said, what it is is what it is.
Old 18-09-2010, 01:54 AM

[QUOTE=quincyk;343766 0]Brilliant? Come off it. I often wonder do people try and convince themselves they 'get' these things in order not to reveal the truth - that it's a disappointment.

i often wonder the same things too quincY, and often i think you're right. but i was genuinely blown away by that last night, and watching the few mins of sparkle's footage there again re-inforces it.

I'm a huge SY fan, and I love a bit of noise. My record collection is immersed in it, but last night's performance could not be enjoyed musically. Sure, he manipulated white noise for a bit, but it was just that - noise. There was hardly any background trickle of melody - he just stood there, swinging and bashing at the thing. I met him after - a lovely guy, and even he admitted it was a bizarre show. It was interesting, but dreadful to listen to. Not at all surprised, btw, as I know, like Branca, he's into the more avant-garde style of performance art, but it was just a collection of sheer noise, and little else. You weren't the guy in the Husker DU t, were you?[/QUOTE

i'm not sure if it was a 'musical' performace tbh. certainly not in any conventional sense. i think he took the idea/spirit of the guitar being the centre of attention, which is what the fest is supposed to be about, and as a performer took a step back and let the instrument do the talking.

love sonic youth myself, and jaysus i'd have loved to hear a tune or two, but that was something we'll probably never see again. not sure if he could ever do that again, really.

there were folks leaving after 10 mins. wft were THEY expecting?

and i don't have a husker du tee-shirt!
Old 18-09-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
Things aren't there to be "got". Like James Brown said, what it is is what it is.
I know that, but people feel the need to interpret things, even if it isn't necessarily true.

I love SY, ranaldo is my favourite singer for them, but last night, he thrashed at a guitar that dangled from a ceiling all night, whilst some art visual was played behind him, and finished making what can only be described as a manipulation of sheer noise after about 50 minutes maximum, 20 quid was taking the piss, tbh. I'm open about music - open to all sorts - but let's not kid ourselves here; it was interesting, yes, and unforgettable, but not for all the right reasons.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:59 AM

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...ll-867037.html