Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Music Forum
User Name
Password

Old 31-03-2010, 02:02 PM

Thumbs up Slow Club (Uk) | Sherkin Island Sat April 17th

Slow Club will be playing a very very special show in the Jolly Roger on Sherkin Island on Saturday April 17th! Doors will open for the show at 9pm
The Event will take place in the Marquee & tickets are priced at E12 & will need to be booked in advance!
You can do so by calling 02820379 or go to the face book page & send a message!
Its gonna be a big one so book early to avoid disappointment...... ..
There will be special ferries running on the night from Baltimore to Sherkin & back again after the gig at about 1.30am

Check out a bit about the band here!
http://www.myspace.com/slowclub
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNM45m_iNuY

"Could they be the UKs answer to The White Stripes? Charles And Rebecca Are Slow Club. They hail from Sheffield and are a sort of one man band. Only with two people. He strums guitar and sings and she plays drums and all sorts of weird instruments, like water-filled glass bottles, spoons and the back of a wooden chair. And sometimes an organ called MIles. Not something you get to see and hear every day. The effect is rockabilly and somewhat folksy but thankfully their songs are fairly jolly affairs without a bit of teenage angst in sight. Slwo Club are touring - don't miss them" [The Independant On Sunday]

"Slow Club are another boy/girl duo but instead of valium'd-up rock n'roll they make sacharine folk-pop that turns your usually miserable scribe into a radiant ray of positivity. Like, I almost smiled and everything. They're on tour with Tiny Dancers in June"

"Slow Club inject a simple joy and uncomplicatedness into their work which is completely compelling"
[Music Week Playlist]

[The Fly Ones To Watch]

"In a city still jam packed with derivative monkey bands, Slow Club stand out. Call them 'folk' if you must, but songs such as 'Sunday' and future single 'Me and You' are so gut-wrenchingly beautiful that the term sells them short. No, singing percusionist Rebecca and guitaris Charles are more than folking troubadours, they're a musical revelation. Tonight in a jam-packed theatre 'Sumer' is pure heart-bursting pop, propelled by odd absurdist chair and table thwacking. Equally brilliant is debut single 'Because We're Dead'; imagine Nico playing with Bob Dylan if they were raised in Sheffield. Don't call this club Slow, call it special"
[NME Radar Gig Review]

"On paper, Slow Club should be really annoying. Their stage show is, after all, impossibly twee: they hop and skip; they giggle constantly and percussionist Rebecca even plays a chair and bottles instead of a proper drumkit. They thank the audience after each and every song, expressing their surprise that people have bothered to stay for their set. It should be cloying but it isn't because their earnestness is entirely genuine. If they had more confidence, though, they'd know the reason the Brudenell is doing brisk business tonight is becuase, on a sodden January evening, Slow Club's sunny folk-pop melodies are precisely what the weatherman ordered. The songs themselves mostly deal with the oft-visited topic of adolescent romances 'Me And You', 'Thinking Drinking Sinking Feeling'). but approach them in a novel way. There's enough quirky lyricism and off-the-wall metaphors to keep things genuinely interesting, even when they start to sound a bit too much like Tilly and The Wall doing a song for a teen movie. Still, with their debut album scheduled for mid 2008, we can't think of many better ways to soundtrack this summer." [Rob Webb NME Gig Review
Old 31-03-2010, 02:29 PM

the jolly roger , now there is a place i havent been in a while , love the place, wont make it to this but i will be during the summer
Old 31-03-2010, 04:36 PM

Loads of great gigs planned over the summer! Place was buzzing last summer getting 300 + for gigs in the jolly!
Old 31-03-2010, 05:00 PM

roll on d summer
Old 01-04-2010, 12:25 PM

Just added to the line for this show!
Corinne Brown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gn-H...layer_embedded

Corinne Brown is just 21 years old and lives in Woodford, Clondaklin. She's an aspiring singer-songwriter and grafitti artist.
She says: "I was born and raised on The Beatles as well as Joni Mitchell and Neil Young, but my dad has been my primary musical influence. He's deaf and could never play an instrument himself, so he put his passion into his kids by putting us through music lessons."
As well as playing guitar Corrine also plays violin,saxophone, trumpet and drums as well as a passion for piano.
In the summer of 2009 Corrine began writing & playing her own unique music & later that year she posted some of her newly written tracks on the internet which received a massive response with her songs getting well in excess of 1000 hits a week as well as a constant stream of new subscribers to her web pages which continue to grow! (See below)
Corrine say's "Everything and everyone inspires me. My friends and family and situations are where I take my music from"
Old 01-04-2010, 06:06 PM

great spot.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:47 AM

Come visit!
Old 08-04-2010, 04:13 PM

Bump, 1 week to go, tickets going well for this one!
Old 13-04-2010, 07:46 PM

Bump!