Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 28-03-2015, 11:10 AM

Cork cannot afford to sleepwalk into this merger fiasco! It'd be the end to the city's ambition. Cork needs imo...

- A Metropolitan Council running the extended urban area as a decent sized European City region focussing on metropolitan issues

- A County Council focussing on rural development, agri-food, energy, tourism and town issues.

These are very different challenges. I don't want rural councillors from west Cork having a say on city centre issues no more than I want urban councillors dealing with rural issues in deepest north cork.

A merger would be a disaster especially for Cork city and metropolitan area. It will get swallowed by county issues and by the real disdain and antipathy that many politicians in the county have for the city would undermine any hope that the city has to up its game and prosper. We may as well close the city centre down if the City is abolished.

Cities are supposed to be recognised as such and to be ambitious, proactive and forwrad looking. No other European city of 250,000 would allow this to happen [a dissolution./merger]. Well, apart from those trailblazers in Limerick and Waterford that allowed their cities to be abolished without a whimper...that's who Cork should follow.......
Old 29-03-2015, 12:31 PM

I'd say it will most definetely go the way of Metro Cork Council, possibly even Metro and Harbour. It will be sold as the setting up of two new Councils rather than an increased City and Shrinked County.

Even if politicking comes into it, then Corks main Government TDs are City men so we know which side they'd come down on.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:51 AM

It's back in the news:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoi...es-336451.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoi...ew-336455.html
Old 12-06-2015, 01:53 PM

It's a nonsense argument from Nash, for which she has no facts to back up what she's saying.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:33 PM

Great piece there. Fair play to the Cork Business Association for coming out and speaking sense. The city needs to stand up for itself and not allow itself get swallowed up by the County, effectively allowing Dublin to further diminish the city and its powers.

It's an opinion piece, but which seemed to be fairly robust and well informed. Not sure I'd criticise it for an absence of 'facts,'.

It's a very important contribution to the debate.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mire View Post
Great piece there. Fair play to the Cork Business Association for coming out and speaking sense. The city needs to stand up for itself and not allow itself get swallowed up by the County, effectively allowing Dublin to further diminish the city and its powers.

It's an opinion piece, but which seemed to be fairly robust and well informed. Not sure I'd criticise it for an absence of 'facts,'.

It's a very important contribution to the debate.
How is the county swallowing it up ?.
Old 13-06-2015, 05:10 AM

I don't think her article was too bad and I would agree with the sentiments.

Blackie the county and city have different needs, to lump a city in with a county and vice versa is ludicrous, each has different priorities for its development and each needs to lobby central government for different reasons etc. etc. etc. A Cork metro council and another council for the remainder of the county is the most logical option as many have said on here.
Old 13-06-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesider View Post
I don't think her article was too bad and I would agree with the sentiments.

Blackie the county and city have different needs, to lump a city in with a county and vice versa is ludicrous, each has different priorities for its development and each needs to lobby central government for different reasons etc. etc. etc. A Cork metro council and another council for the remainder of the county is the most logical option as many have said on here.
X2 city + harbour council and then the remainer to the county council.
Old 13-06-2015, 11:43 AM

Do ye think that the city boundaries should be extended to include Ballincollig, Douglas, Glanmire, Carrigaline etc?
Old 13-06-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORKBHOY View Post
Do ye think that the city boundaries should be extended to include Ballincollig, Douglas, Glanmire, Carrigaline etc?
Absolutely, they are in effect suburbs of the city. My sister lives in Ballincollig and as they are now in the north west constituency all of the policy issues are alien, just doesn't make sense at all.

Btw with the above I am probably making the assumption that with a metro cork the constituency borders would have to change as well.