Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 25-03-2014, 11:45 AM

This may save Shatter. Pity.
Old 25-03-2014, 12:13 PM

His temporary replacement is a woman. We live in interesting times.
Old 25-03-2014, 12:17 PM

I think it will save Shatter, yep.

I think it'll be something along the lines of "I was going on the information that was presented to me and did the right thing at all times". I doubt there will be an apology, going on Shatter's previous form.

As I've said before though, the public in general now thinks Shatter's a nasty piece of work. Varadkar comes out smelling of roses by comparison. Future FG leadership in him perhaps?

As an aside, it seems to be viewed as a major weakness in politics to admit to having made a mistake. Oddly, it seems that cover-ups and attacking as-a-form-of-defence are preferable. Not just FG either, across all parties. It's like the old "gentleman" rules of war, where once you make a snap decision you stand by it forever. It's at contrast with how most good businesses I've interacted with operate: flag a mistake and learn from it. There's a thesis in there somewhere.
Old 25-03-2014, 03:20 PM

Off the top of my head;

Connor Lenihan called Turkish people 'Kebabs' - zero consequences.
Jim McDaid says people who take their own lives are 'selfish bastards' - zero consequences.

Alan Shatter is minister for justice while the Garda Commissioner (after 5 hours of questioning) makes an offhand remark about leaking the personal details of people who had penalty points quashed - he says its 'disgusting' to make public people's personal details public.

Now - you might agree that this warrants the Commissioner's resignation - but if you do - do not make any argument for data protection ever again,

But how the feck is shatter responsible for that?

Double standards all over again.
Old 25-03-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcork View Post
Off the top of my head;

Jim McDaid says people who take their own lives are 'selfish bastards' - zero consequences.

Alan Shatter is minister for justice while the Garda Commissioner (after 5 hours of questioning) makes an offhand remark about leaking the personal details of people who had penalty points quashed - he says its 'disgusting' to make public people's personal details public.

Now - you might agree that this warrants the Commissioner's resignation - but if you do - do not make any argument for data protection ever again,

Jim McDaid drove up the wrong side of a busy dual carriageway pissed out of his tiny mind - zero consequences.
Old 25-03-2014, 03:28 PM

He retired.

He did not resign.

" In the best interests of An Garda Síochána and my family, I have decided to retire."
Old 25-03-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh1152 View Post
He retired.

He did not resign.

" In the best interests of An Garda Síochána and my family, I have decided to retire."
Semantics.
Old 25-03-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORKBHOY View Post
Semantics.
History will record "retired after 41 years of service"...
Old 25-03-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcork View Post
Off the top of my head;

Conor Lenihan lost his seat is is politically toxic and has gone to Russia of all places (apt for a former Fianna Failer with all the mafia style Russian behaviour)

Jim McDaid never missed a chance to say or do something stupid and then make yet another public apology.

Alan Shatter is suffering a death by a thousand self inflicted cuts.
Old 25-03-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh1152 View Post
History will record "retired after 41 years of service"...
But his wiki google will say"disgusting"