tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
FootFall Up Yer Arse. - Page 54 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #531  
Old 28-06-2019, 07:22 PM
Eye Pod Eye Pod is offline
PROC Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
The overwhelming amount and quality of evidence
Can you link to the evidence please or paste it here?

By evidence I mean something that can be verified. Ancedotes don't count.
Reply With Quote
  #532  
Old 28-06-2019, 09:56 PM
Mister X Mister X is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 439
Default Faith

You mean like a Price Waterhouse Cooper Report? Or one by a Government Department? An OPW Report? Exactly what type of evidence are you seeking?
More importantly what are your credentials to verify reality? Are you properly Calibrated? If so to what level, Accredited or just Traceable?
X
Reply With Quote
  #533  
Old 28-06-2019, 11:18 PM
TheEarlofPearl TheEarlofPearl is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 12,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
You mean like a Price Waterhouse Cooper Report? Or one by a Government Department? An OPW Report? Exactly what type of evidence are you seeking?
More importantly what are your credentials to verify reality? Are you properly Calibrated? If so to what level, Accredited or just Traceable?
X
https://www.grammarly.com/blog/capitalization-rules/

You're welcome
Reply With Quote
  #534  
Old 29-06-2019, 12:35 PM
CaptainSensible CaptainSensible is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
I wouldn't want you on a Jury! It is Tourist Season. That is exactly the same false evidence City Hall has used to claim Footfall is up. To be frank, it is a Trumpesque Lie. The overwhelming amount and quality of evidence shows Panaban and the other City Hall initiatives against Motorists, has emptied Patrick Street in the afternoons, for at least 9 months of the year.
X
How many parking spaces were available on Patricks st?

Not too many I'd venture, therefore the Pana ban has resulted in the emptying of cars from Patrick street, not pedestrians, therefore I fail to see how banning a huge majority of cars which had practically nowhere to stop on the street could affect footfall and hence business, unless all those shops have a drive thru service.
Reply With Quote
  #535  
Old 29-06-2019, 07:10 PM
Eye Pod Eye Pod is offline
PROC Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
You mean like a Price Waterhouse Cooper Report? Or one by a Government Department? An OPW Report? Exactly what type of evidence are you seeking?
More importantly what are your credentials to verify reality? Are you properly Calibrated? If so to what level, Accredited or just Traceable?
X
You sound like you're having a nervous breakdown m8. Calm down.

For example, has any shop with CCTV or footfall counters (Merchants Quay, Debenhams, Dunnes, Marks and Penny's all have them) come forward to say footfall is down in their stores?

Something along those lines. Some Mickey Mouse trader in the market claiming his turnover is down isn't much good. His revenue could be down for a myriad of reasons, including the fact that he or she has failed to be continually competitive and entrepeneurial. They might be a bit shit at marketing themselves or not active on social media...except to Panamoan of course.

Panaban might be playing some part in some traders revenues being down but only footfall figures can credibly prove it to any degree. Anything else is just speculation or a feeling...which is based on a preconceived bias that the trend of eliminating or reducing private vehicles from city centres allows them to thrive isn't working. #Oslo
Reply With Quote
  #536  
Old 30-06-2019, 10:17 AM
King Silkbeard King Silkbeard is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 3,300
Default

Some football on today night be a good match.
Reply With Quote
  #537  
Old 01-07-2019, 10:33 PM
Mister X Mister X is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 439
Default Contributors

It would appear you have not skimmed through this thread Eye Pod. There are pictures of closed shops, do you know how many? Consider why..... think of extremely high rates, exorbitant or non existent insurance due to flooding and insane public liability scamming. Online shopping. No incentive for anyone to come and spend time in the lovely plazas. No coffee shops, restaurants. No toilets. Needle Park, dangerous people hanging around. There are pictures of almost empty streets in dry weather at prime times of day. You consider 'Footfall' as more valid evidence? The only Footfall figures presented were by City Hall, measured at the height of the Tourist Season. They compared that to mid winter and there's your evidence, Footfall is Up. Believe that or get real. Panaban is just one of many contributors. City Hall has been attacking the presence of vehicles for decades. Vast areas of road (and plenty of on street parking) have been replaced with vast swathes of slippery when wet paving.
They are presuming pedestrianisation is good because it has been done in many Cities very beautifully. But those Cities have Metros and efficient Bus networks. Many are also flat with extensive Cycle lanes and the weather to make that practical.
X

Last edited by Mister X; 01-07-2019 at 10:47 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #538  
Old 02-07-2019, 05:41 AM
Stacky Stacky is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 35,984
Default

Very few cities of Corks size and topography have Metros (underground trains) and Cork has a very extensive bus network as well as suburban rail bringing people into the heart of the city. When the LUAS type tram system happens in the future there will be even less need for single occupancy cars taking up space.

Cities of the future will be places for the comfort and enjoyment of the pedestrian of all ages, the finest places in the world are cities with entire networks of car-free streets, like Lisbon, Copenhagen and Talinn in Estonia.

Pedestrian cities are growing in popularity in many top regions around the world. The incredible beauty, enjoyment, and convenience a network of connected pedestrian streets and squares provides to the residents on a daily basis is unsurpassed. Being able to walk to a mix of shops, restaurants, cafes, little squares and open-air markets within car-free neighbourhoods and employment/leisure centres delivering the highest quality of life from a polluting car oriented (storage and movement) city to a people friendly one. Bruges in Belgium as well as Bordeaux in France which was a traffic choked hellhole and now a clean walk-able city. Lisbon, Budapest and Prague are all highly pedestrianised, much larger than Cork and way more hilly than Cork.


Which of Cork's many fully pedestrianised streets would you return car traffic and car parking to Mister X?

Careys Lane?
French Church St?
Paul St?
Winthrop St?
Cook St?
Princes St?
Marlboro St?
Opera Lane?

Last edited by Stacky; 02-07-2019 at 07:25 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #539  
Old 02-07-2019, 09:38 AM
Eye Pod Eye Pod is offline
PROC Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
It would appear you have not skimmed through this thread Eye Pod. There are pictures of closed shops, do you know how many? Consider why..... think of extremely high rates, exorbitant or non existent insurance due to flooding and insane public liability scamming. Online shopping. No incentive for anyone to come and spend time in the lovely plazas. No coffee shops, restaurants. No toilets. Needle Park, dangerous people hanging around. There are pictures of almost empty streets in dry weather at prime times of day. You consider 'Footfall' as more valid evidence? The only Footfall figures presented were by City Hall, measured at the height of the Tourist Season. They compared that to mid winter and there's your evidence, Footfall is Up. Believe that or get real. Panaban is just one of many contributors. City Hall has been attacking the presence of vehicles for decades. Vast areas of road (and plenty of on street parking) have been replaced with vast swathes of slippery when wet paving.
They are presuming pedestrianisation is good because it has been done in many Cities very beautifully. But those Cities have Metros and efficient Bus networks. Many are also flat with extensive Cycle lanes and the weather to make that practical.
X

You're tying yourself up in knots. You're citing insurance and online shopping among the cause for some closures. Is it the Panaban's fault or not that businesses are closing? I've read the thread and you're attaching most if not all of the reason for all businesses closing in the city centre to the Panaban.

Incidentally the language you use like "attack on cars" is pathetic. You wouldn't see the likes of that from the dunces on the Echo's facebook page.

City council provide thousands of spaces for cars in car parks and a park and ride facility and you're saying removing cars from Pana is an "attack". You've clearly never been properly attacked in your life. Maybe you should hang around your beloved "Needle Park" for a few hours.

Shops close and open in every town and city all the time. OK, the footfall data isn't available or you don't trust it.

Every city has a percentage of empty premises so you're looking at very circumstantial evidence that the Panaban is having a negative effect on the city. In Cork is that percentage greater or less now than it was before the ban? My sense is that it is less or at a big stretch the same. When places close many of them are quickly replaced if they've reached the end of their lease.

To be able to definitively say the cause of the shops closing is the Panaban you need far more than a photo of a closed down business. That's like photographing a dead body and concluding it was murder without any signs of harm on it.

You're clearly biased so any photograph you choose to take of the streets is not only untrustworthy but completely lacking in any credibility as evidence for your argument.

Any of us could stand on Patrick Street and wait for a moment where there is the least or the most amount of people on the street, snap it and then claim this is proof that footfall is down or up.

You're Cork's Comical Ali.
Reply With Quote
  #540  
Old 02-07-2019, 10:18 AM
jimmym jimmym is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 21,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Pod View Post
You're tying yourself up in knots. You're citing insurance and online shopping among the cause for some closures. Is it the Panaban's fault or not that businesses are closing? I've read the thread and you're attaching most if not all of the reason for all businesses closing in the city centre to the Panaban.

Incidentally the language you use like "attack on cars" is pathetic. You wouldn't see the likes of that from the dunces on the Echo's facebook page.

City council provide thousands of spaces for cars in car parks and a park and ride facility and you're saying removing cars from Pana is an "attack". You've clearly never been properly attacked in your life. Maybe you should hang around your beloved "Needle Park" for a few hours.

Shops close and open in every town and city all the time. OK, the footfall data isn't available or you don't trust it.

Every city has a percentage of empty premises so you're looking at very circumstantial evidence that the Panaban is having a negative effect on the city. In Cork is that percentage greater or less now than it was before the ban? My sense is that it is less or at a big stretch the same. When places close many of them are quickly replaced if they've reached the end of their lease.

To be able to definitively say the cause of the shops closing is the Panaban you need far more than a photo of a closed down business. That's like photographing a dead body and concluding it was murder without any signs of harm on it.

You're clearly biased so any photograph you choose to take of the streets is not only untrustworthy but completely lacking in any credibility as evidence for your argument.

Any of us could stand on Patrick Street and wait for a moment where there is the least or the most amount of people on the street, snap it and then claim this is proof that footfall is down or up.

You're Cork's Comical Ali.
The city council even run the park n ride bus right up merchants quay and up
Pana but that is still not good enough for the moaners,
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




Eoghan Depaor

Brú Bar & Hostel, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼







All times are GMT. The time now is 01:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.