Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 09-06-2016, 06:06 PM
Senior PROC Member

I don't think there are loyalists here. Certainly IRA critics and some SF critics by extension.
The problem with this topic is that whatabouttery is always just around the corner.
The only distinction I would draw in this instance is that the collusion is between loyalist paramilitaries and the British establishment in the North, in this case the RUC. In reality it highlights the plight of nationalist and republicans and while in no way condoning or justifying republican violence, goes to show that it wasn't just the opposing community they had to deal with but the people nominally there to provide them with government and policing and security.

Edit - and the Earl's post above proves my point.

6 fellas watching a USA 94 match or the people who were disappeared. There should be no equivalence or whatabouttery here. It was all wrong.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcaigh32 View Post
I don't think there are loyalists here. Certainly IRA critics and some SF critics by extension.
The problem with this topic is that whatabouttery is always just around the corner.
The only distinction I would draw in this instance is that the collusion is between loyalist paramilitaries and the British establishment in the North, in this case the RUC. In reality it highlights the plight of nationalist and republicans and while in no way condoning or justifying republican violence, goes to show that it wasn't just the opposing community they had to deal with but the people nominally there to provide them with government and policing and security.

6 fellas watching a USA 94 match or the people who were disappeared. There should be no equivalence or whatabouttery here. It was all wrong.

Well at least the RA eliminated their informers in contrast to the action of the government...who imported arms for their touts.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Exactly
Old 09-06-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muintir View Post
Well at least the RA eliminated their informers in contrast to the action of the government...who imported arms for their touts.
I am sure that is comfort to Jean McConville's family.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarlofPearl View Post
I am sure that is comfort to Jean McConville's family.
I have no doubt that you will apply the same comment to the victims of Dublin/Monaghan, Finucane & Nelson families & all of the victims of the British murder machine in Ireland.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muintir View Post
I have no doubt that you will apply the same comment to the victims of Dublin/Monaghan, Finucane & Nelson families & all of the victims of the British murder machine in Ireland.
Of course I will but I not a supporter of SinnFein talking out my hole when they were responsible for half the shite up there.
You just lost
Old 09-06-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:

Excellent post.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
For every time collusion is proved in an inquiry there are countless other instances which go without comment. Will an RUC officer, present or past see jail time for it? Not a hope.
Villiers is, as you would expect, very Tory on her views on the North and the peace process. The Tory government have, without any protest from Enda, deprioritised the peace process and actively sought to undermine the institutions by decreasing the block grant.

Long and short of this is, the families of the victims now know as fact what they have known in their hearts all along. After that, Brexit will take care of the news cycle on this and it will be forgotten about in a couple of days.
But hang on a second C32-y Steady your high horse fella.
Is this not a typical example of the murky waters that Northern Ireland waded in during the the troubles. There are countless examples of families eating humble pie who have lost loved ones either directly or indirectly to either loyalist or republican paramilitaries, The British army , The British secret services , The Irish state and even perhaps the Irish defense forces (I can't recall a clear cut contemporary example tbh).

Point being C-32y it's all very well getting indignant about ex - RUC officers never seeing the inside of a cell, but don't forget the Good Friday agreement which is sort of a holy grail for you. That allowed inmates free who in some cases were serving life sentences for the mass murder of civilians. Many of those guys who carried out unspeakable acts of terror on in many cases innocent civilians and non combatants are free men. NUTS! So you cribbing about Nordy Plod and Paras haven't never done time is frankly laughable.

But as you are quick to point when the argument arises about Republican Paramilitary violence during the troubles is that it is all in the past and that post Good Friday former paramilitaries have made the transformation to socially democratic politicians. Adams and Co are not be quizzed about their links to and indeed direct involvement in PIRA activities during the troubles. Nope they are to be applauded for bring peace to Northern Ireland post Good Friday. There is of course credit due to stopping carnage. Who could argue with the result that is present day mostly peaceful Northern Ireland.

But doesn't the Good Friday Agreement wipe the slate clean for the Unionist Paramilitaries and indeed even the RUC and by extension the Brits? C'mon C32-y look who Mortin could have a chuckle with and look who Sinn Fein share an assembly with , and for the most part function with. Surely what is good for the goose is good for gander?
Old 09-06-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:

Rebelicecreamman approves this message.(broadly).

I do wonder at what point the protagonists in NI have to take ownership of the process and run with it, though. I thought that time was long since past.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:37 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strict66 View Post
But hang on a second C32-y Steady your high horse fella.
Is this not a typical example of the murky waters that Northern Ireland waded in during the the troubles. There are countless examples of families eating humble pie who have lost loved ones either directly or indirectly to either loyalist or republican paramilitaries, The British army , The British secret services , The Irish state and even perhaps the Irish defense forces (I can't recall a clear cut contemporary example tbh).

Point being C-32y it's all very well getting indignant about ex - RUC officers never seeing the inside of a cell, but don't forget the Good Friday agreement which is sort of a holy grail for you. That allowed inmates free who in some cases were serving life sentences for the mass murder of civilians. Many of those guys who carried out unspeakable acts of terror on in many cases innocent civilians and non combatants are free men. NUTS! So you cribbing about Nordy Plod and Paras haven't never done time is frankly laughable.

But as you are quick to point when the argument arises about Republican Paramilitary violence during the troubles is that it is all in the past and that post Good Friday former paramilitaries have made the transformation to socially democratic politicians. Adams and Co are not be quizzed about their links to and indeed direct involvement in PIRA activities during the troubles. Nope they are to be applauded for bring peace to Northern Ireland post Good Friday. There is of course credit due to stopping carnage. Who could argue with the result that is present day mostly peaceful Northern Ireland.

But doesn't the Good Friday Agreement wipe the slate clean for the Unionist Paramilitaries and indeed even the RUC and by extension the Brits? C'mon C32-y look who Mortin could have a chuckle with and look who Sinn Fein share an assembly with , and for the most part function with. Surely what is good for the goose is good for gander?
Did you not read my post?
I specifically said it's all wrong.
I agree with you entirely.
What I usually do is bring balance when it's on one side. In this case I did the same from the other side.