tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Cork Senior Hurling County Championship 2011 - Page 61 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
i was at the youghal-courcey game yesterday. standard wasn't great, particularly in the first half. it got exciting towards the end, but overall neither team looked like senior standard. JBM was standing behind me. he didn't look overly impressed with proceedings. bill cooper for youghal played well in midfield. In fact, he could be an option there for cork. he has certainly got the athleticism for it. leigh desmond played well in patches. he looks to have the ability, but tends to drift in and out of games. youghal would have been better served if they had opted for direct hurling. there was way too much hand-passing/short passing in tight space which was always going to give the advantage to courcey.
If that's the basis for selection, we'll put the physical trainer midfield and all

Hurling combined with speed and athleticism are the credentials of every top class Hurling midfielder in the country. Cooper has athleticism but neither the Hurling nor the speed for IC level against the top 3/4 teams. Simple fact of the matter!

Pa Cronin and McLoughlin were the best pairing we had in 2011 by a distance in my opinion. David Drake and maybe Naughton (with a return to form) are the only other candidates at the moment for me!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMagic View Post
If that's the basis for selection, we'll put the physical trainer midfield and all

Hurling combined with speed and athleticism are the credentials of every top class Hurling midfielder in the country. Cooper has athleticism but neither the Hurling nor the speed for IC level against the top 3/4 teams. Simple fact of the matter!

Pa Cronin and McLoughlin were the best pairing we had in 2011 by a distance in my opinion. David Drake and maybe Naughton (with a return to form) are the only other candidates at the moment for me!
one of the lessons from the season just gone is that any top IC team needs a number of options at midfield. when cronin was out for the galway game it just proved how limited we were. naughton is not a midfielder. he is far too easily muscled out of it against any physical side. i saw him play a league game in parnell park in 2010. he was forced onto his right side a few times. there was one freshair shot and a few scuffed ones. at this day and age it is essential that any IC player should be able to play off both sides. bring him on as an impact sub if the game is very open and he has loads of space to slot points over from the wing forward or corner forward position. but that is about the only thing he has to offer cork. I don't see bill cooper making it in the forwards. he hasn't the control or the accuracy. i thought there might be a chance that he could slot in at midfield but i take your points. there certainly weren't too many other players sunday who looked like IC candidates for next year.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
That's right. Utterly ridiculous.

Call me old fashioned but what is wrong with 15 v 15 and worrying about yourself and not the opposition. All the best teams in Hurling do it. Only manager to get any bit of success (in narrow defeats too I might add) out of that negative tactical mindset has been Anthony Daly. Never see the likes of Cody, O'Grady, Sheedy, i.e. the great managers don't bother with that shit...
Tbh honest unless Mr Quelly has learned his lesson and play's direct hurling from now on then he should be dumped in favour of a Cork man.(with that said the Waterford man training Carrig didn't do too bad!)I suppose he deserves another year at least.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:

I agree Bluey and i hope that Cathal Naughton can finally fulfil his potential next year.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youghal Exile View Post
I agree Bluey and i hope that Cathal Naughton can finally fulfil his potential next year.
Eh ? 25 in January - on panel since 2006 - going into 7th IC season ?? When can "potential" be expected to be fulfilled ?

IMO this chap is a last 15 / 20 min man AT BEST .
Old 12-10-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youghal Exile View Post
Tbh honest unless Mr Quelly has learned his lesson and play's direct hurling from now on then he should be dumped in favour of a Cork man.(with that said the Waterford man training Carrig didn't do too bad!)I suppose he deserves another year at least.
Looking at the examiner, Waterford wont be bringing in any outside coach as they have not got the funds to do this, any truth to the rumour doing the rounds that Quelly and Pat Ryan are the new management team in sars next year.

Waterford bosses issue financial SOS to clubs
By John Murphy

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

WATERFORD GAA chiefs have revealed they may not have "funds available to feed the players" after training sessions such is the impact of the financial downturn on the board’s finances.

And Waterford secretary Timmy O’Keeffe has warned that county training sessions could be brought to a halt by the end of January as the board battles to balance the books.

He said: "There may not even be funds available to feed the players. That’s the reality of the situation."

Senior officers voiced concern at an apparent lack of support from some clubs for a major fundraising draw.

However, some delegates said the cost of tickets (€20) has proven a major turn-off for many clubs, who have been mandated by the board to sell a minimum 50 tickets each.

Chairman Tom Cunningham pleaded: "I am appealing to all our clubs to rally behind this fundraising draw and make it the success it needs and deserves to be. The consequences of an unsuccessful draw have now been spelled out."

Plans to play the county senior football final under lights at Fraher Field on Saturday week, October 22 have been abandoned. Instead, the game, a repeat of last year’s decider between titleholders Stradbally and Ballinacourty, is fixed for the Dungarvan venue on Sunday week.

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/sport/gaa/wat...#ixzz1aZMd5hHG
Old 12-10-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork2030 View Post
Looking at the examiner, Waterford wont be bringing in any outside coach as they have not got the funds to do this, any truth to the rumour doing the rounds that Quelly and Pat Ryan are the new management team in sars next year.

Waterford bosses issue financial SOS to clubs
By John Murphy

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

WATERFORD GAA chiefs have revealed they may not have "funds available to feed the players" after training sessions such is the impact of the financial downturn on the board’s finances.

And Waterford secretary Timmy O’Keeffe has warned that county training sessions could be brought to a halt by the end of January as the board battles to balance the books.

He said: "There may not even be funds available to feed the players. That’s the reality of the situation."

Senior officers voiced concern at an apparent lack of support from some clubs for a major fundraising draw.

However, some delegates said the cost of tickets (€20) has proven a major turn-off for many clubs, who have been mandated by the board to sell a minimum 50 tickets each.

Chairman Tom Cunningham pleaded: "I am appealing to all our clubs to rally behind this fundraising draw and make it the success it needs and deserves to be. The consequences of an unsuccessful draw have now been spelled out."

Plans to play the county senior football final under lights at Fraher Field on Saturday week, October 22 have been abandoned. Instead, the game, a repeat of last year’s decider between titleholders Stradbally and Ballinacourty, is fixed for the Dungarvan venue on Sunday week.

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/sport/gaa/wat...#ixzz1aZMd5hHG

i always knew they were hungry fuckers
Old 12-10-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
i always knew they were hungry fuckers
I thought that there would be less demand for snack boxes now that Paul Flynn has retired! Oh well whoever manages them is on a hiding to nothing anyway they blew there best chance of an all ireland in 07 and they've been in decline since then.