tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Wenger - Page 3 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 24-10-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
I don't think I have ever see teams play soccer like this, its better than Brazil.
here's me thinking Brazil played Football... that aside Wenger has been a legend, apart from Reyes, he has the midas touch when it comes to spotting great talent.
Old 24-10-2007, 03:35 PM

When Wenger joined Arsenal...

Arsenal had been English Champions 10 times, and United had just joined them on 10 titles.

..during Wenger's watch.. oops!

United have moved clearly ahead of Arsenal to become the second most successful side, AND added a European Cup!

Wenger is some kind of a genius, ..but he still hasn't produced a team good enough to retain the title.
Old 24-10-2007, 04:26 PM

One thing that should be said for him that doesnt get said enough i think is - that he has done it as a continental manager in england - and he was the first one really and at the start was met with a lot of resentment and suspicion, even by his own arsenal players at the time.

If it were not for him the premiership would be a far weaker and more backwards league than it is now. and - could SAF or anyone else local go to france and win titles? i'd doubt it - which is not to take away from SAf's achievement in england and scotland but AW has shown a passion for the game in England over a long time now that no other foreign manager has matched.

Long may he remain.

Last edited by azfad; 24-10-2007 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: idiotic grammar
Old 24-10-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrebel View Post
he has the midas touch when it comes to spotting great talent.
thats what he's the most famous for but not only has he that skill, he probably also is the best coach at developing existing talent. Not many managers can pull the very best of their players the way AW does.

Look at Henry and Vieira, they were already gifted players when they started for Arse, im not sure any other coach would have managed to get these 2 lads to become world class players.

Anelka would have been 1 of the PL greatest if his bro never interfered.

Wenger's the best developer of talent.
Old 24-10-2007, 06:40 PM

Reyes was going to be immense but he was too much of a moany mummy's boy. Wenger knows. He prefers to mine a diamond and cut it slowly, whilst other clubs just go stright to the jewellers. Class.
Old 24-10-2007, 09:49 PM

I agree 100%. Quality manager.

Also agree about the relative obscurity. These players may have come from big clubs, but how many knew of them before that? And how did he sign them on the cheap?

As for the Ivory Coast thing, don't United have a similar system at Antwerp??
Old 25-10-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvis View Post
When Wenger joined Arsenal...

Arsenal had been English Champions 10 times, and United had just joined them on 10 titles.

..during Wenger's watch.. oops!

United have moved clearly ahead of Arsenal to become the second most successful side, AND added a European Cup!

Wenger is some kind of a genius, ..but he still hasn't produced a team good enough to retain the title.
I'd expect better from you.
Old 25-10-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Blackwater View Post
I'd expect better from you.
wenger always said judge me from my first full season. think he came into a very disjointed Arsenal in Oct or November but ManYoo fans always count that as a season he failed to win the league in.

a bit harsh in my opinion
Old 25-10-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
wenger always said judge me from my first full season. think he came into a very disjointed Arsenal in Oct or November but ManYoo fans always count that as a season he failed to win the league in.

a bit harsh in my opinion
IMO his best side was the '99 team. They played great football, scored loads of goals, conceded very little & were never found wanting in the tough away fixtures in November.

For me that side had no weakness.
Old 25-10-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnyB View Post
IMO his best side was the '99 team. They played great football, scored loads of goals, conceded very little & were never found wanting in the tough away fixtures in November.

For me that side had no weakness.
Agreed

The best title race in the Premiership too