tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Thierry Henry - Page 2 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 24-06-2007, 04:28 PM

In fairness, the term may have a subtly different meaning in the construction sector.
Old 25-06-2007, 07:45 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Abramovich View Post
ehh no. and you can take that to the bank.

you focking idiot

Arsenal will crash and burn and I for one will take much pleasure from it
Old 03-12-2014, 12:30 PM

Manu's not entirely wrong i gotta say

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...henry-arrogant

Emmanuel Petit: arrogant French don’t deserve Thierry Henry

France Emmanuel Petit, far right, played alongside Thierry Henry in the France team that won the 1998 World Cup on home soil. Photograph: Thomas Coex/EPA

Retired France midfielder Emmanuel Petit has criticised his country for its “hypocritical and cowardly” treatment of former Arsenal team-mate Thierry Henry and suggested it may have been better if they had been “overrun” by Germany in the second world war.

Petit played alongside Henry in the team that won the 1998 World Cup on home soil and spent three years at Arsenal from 1997-2000. His comments come in the wake of Henry’s announcement that he is to leave New York Red Bulls after four and a half years in the MLS.

Arsenal’s record scorer has not yet confirmed if he will retire from professional football, stating he would “take the next few weeks” to decide on his next move.

Asked for his favourite memories of his former team-mate, the question sparked an outburst from Petit about the perception of Henry in the national media.

“In England, they’ve built a statue of Thierry,” he told French website sports.fr.

“That means a lot. He is revered there. This bad image (in the French press) of Thierry Henry, it annoys me.”

“What can we reproach Henry for? His handball against Ireland? He helped France qualify for the World Cup in South Africa. He has done nothing.

“France is hypocritical and cowardly. Sometimes I think that if we’d been overrun by the Germans, we’d be better run.”

Petit continued his rant by comparing Thierry Henry’s treatment by the French media to Wayne Rooney’s in the English press.

“Wayne Rooney is not hated in England, even though he was not always right in his boots on the field and off. Thierry Henry never had a bad move on the pitch and there were no stories in his private life,” he said.

“He’s not hated but he’s certainly not loved. He got screwed by the French press after his handball and has since not spoken to the French media.

“In France, he has no collusion with the press, so what? Perhaps because he was not smiling when he scored for les Bleus! Well, that’s what I hate in this country.

“I have great difficulty with the French, I have never seen such arrogant, smug, lying and hypocritical people.”

Petit made 85 appearances for Arsenal and scored nine goals before joining Barcelona in 2000. He finished his playing career at Chelsea, retiring in 2004.

Henry gave an interview to French sports magazine L’Équipe as part of the publication’s 100-page special on the Arsenal legend. Speaking about his future, he expressed a desire to stay in football and said that he “would like to see Arsenal win the Champions League”, while Arsène Wenger said this week that he will “certainly” return to the club one day.

Petit made 85 appearances for Arsenal and scored nine goals before joining Barcelona in 2000. He finished his playing career at Chelsea, retiring in 2004.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:37 PM

Bizarre read. What does he want. A statue like the Michael Jackson one next to the Eiffel tower?
Henry is a legend but hardly zizou
Rooney gets blamed everytime England screw up and pays the cost of being their best player, as did gerrard at times
Old 03-12-2014, 12:40 PM

Marco
Would those german comments cause a bit of grief back home? I'd assume it's fairly sensitive and a bit of a crazy thing to say. Obviously we see what he is trying to say here but I could imagine if an Irishman or Englishman said something like this about a war that they suffered in
Old 03-12-2014, 01:02 PM

and suggested it may have been better if they had been “overrun” by Germany in the second world war.

I thought they had been?
Old 03-12-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jams View Post
and suggested it may have been better if they had been “overrun” by Germany in the second world war.

I thought they had been?
I was gonna say that too but out of respect to marco I declined!
Old 03-12-2014, 01:04 PM

Hugely vitriolic comments from Manu.

I had to click on the link to verify that this wasn't a wind-up.

Quote:
“I have great difficulty with the French, I have never seen such arrogant, smug, lying and hypocritical people.”
Wowsers. Not just "the French press" but "the French". Staggering.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:08 PM

the older crowd will probably get offended by his comments regarding Germany (although i haven't yet seen any reaction in the press) but they'd just be missing what he was trying to say

Manu's got big issues with french politicians, medias and the 'elite' that runs sport, it's been that way for years, so no surprise really

i never realized he despised so much french people though

he's a good lad imo, one of the few honest guys out there who doesnt give a shit whether or not people will like what he says.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddypawn View Post
Bizarre read. What does he want. A statue like the Michael Jackson one next to the Eiffel tower?
Henry is a legend but hardly zizou
Rooney gets blamed everytime England screw up and pays the cost of being their best player, as did gerrard at times
In the short term yes Paddy,
But they both get all that shit licked off them by the very same media.
They are revered over here, both of them.
Look at the press from Gerrard being rested on the weekend sure.
I remember the Sun printing a picture of Rooney's foot for people to pray over during the "Metatarsal" world cup...

Petit is amazingly vitriolic in those quotes, it shocked the crap out of to me reading it tbh.
I can see his point though, and these 2 are probably great friends so why would he not want to see his friend revered ?

....If Ireland won a world cup....how many of that team would have statues built for them d'ya think ?
I'm thinking the whole shagging team myself.