tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
"Lads, was that the worst game we've ever seen?" - Page 3 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 26-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Boys Oh Boys Forum Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
There have been some awful games...and the Wales game was right up there in terms of disappointing 'top class' games....I thought the Steve Evans miskick totally summed up the quality of the game.

Once again, the senior players misfired abysmally.....Keane is as inspiring as a wet blanket, Duff was once again looking forward to pension day and O'Shea was his usual anonymous self.

Stephen Ireland is one of the few who can emerge with credit....3 goals in four games is a great return from the young fella and he has something about him certainly. McShane continues to look an excellent prospect but nearly all the rest are the embodiment of mediocrity and the lack of passion was tangible even in my living room !!!

In all fairness, if Croker on a day like that can't inspire them, you wonder what can ????

Stephen Hunt made an immediate impact when he came on...he provided a much needed spark and was a real livewire. He surely has to start on wednesday.....even Stan must see that. Douglas offered nothing.
We were lucky that Wales are so inept !!!!
the israel games and the swiss matches last campaign particularly stick in the craw as godawful games.
Old 26-03-2007, 10:39 AM

My take on the level of shite being served up these days, is simple erally. The fuckers are paid so much money these days, they dont give a bollocks about playing for their country. Its as if its a hindrance. Look at Robbie Keane for example. Young lad came onto the scene full of enthusiasm, played his socks off for the shirt. Moved to a big club, lives a life of luxury, cant be arsed anymore .... see Duff for same. It may be a cynical view but the England team is littered with big time charlies who would rather be rolling around in their bentleys than having to represent their country. They really fuck me off with their noncommital attitude. Bring back the eighties i say! real men, playing a man's game and getting paid a relevant wage. The players today are a fucking joke. RANT OVER.
Old 26-03-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL TORO View Post
My take on the level of shite being served up these days, is simple erally. The fuckers are paid so much money these days, they dont give a bollocks about playing for their country. Its as if its a hindrance. Look at Robbie Keane for example. Young lad came onto the scene full of enthusiasm, played his socks off for the shirt. Moved to a big club, lives a life of luxury, cant be arsed anymore .... see Duff for same. It may be a cynical view but the England team is littered with big time charlies who would rather be rolling around in their bentleys than having to represent their country. They really fuck me off with their noncommital attitude. Bring back the eighties i say! real men, playing a man's game and getting paid a relevant wage. The players today are a fucking joke. RANT OVER.
Spot on there lad.....You could mention any one from hundreds of current top level players who are easily as culpable as Keane for their various countries.

I have to say that I have not really enjoyed any World Cup as thoroughly since Mexico in 86. I loved every minute of the 82 and 86 tournaments...since then there have only been smatterings of enjoyment from them. i believe this is a direct result of the sense of pride for playing for one's country being lost by many !!!

Ambassador to Spain...yariba yariba!!!
Old 26-03-2007, 11:33 AM

1994 was the best since 1986 for me (bar the final)

2006 had it's moments but 1990, 1998 and 2002 were pretty poor
Old 26-03-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEG View Post
1994 was the best since 1986 for me (bar the final)

2006 had it's moments but 1990, 1998 and 2002 were pretty poor
I don't remember too much of 86 except the obvious highlights but 94 was definitely the best in recent times. The Argentina Holland game in particular was brilliant.
Old 26-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
I don't remember too much of 86 except the obvious highlights but 94 was definitely the best in recent times. The Argentina Holland game in particular was brilliant.
Wasn't that 1998?

Holland and Brazil in 1994 was a class game though
Old 26-03-2007, 01:44 PM

eoghan done a fitzy

I think Rooney has the potential to be a great midfield player
Old 26-03-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg View Post
Wasn't that 1998?

correct

And Brazil had 2 offside goals if I remember
Old 26-03-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg View Post
Wasn't that 1998?

Fuck it you're right. I'm always making that mistake.
Old 26-03-2007, 02:12 PM

1994 was good and I actually enjoyed '98. some excellent matches like Brazil V Denmark, Nigeria v Spain, England V Argentina. 2002 was poor and last year was'nt much better.

For me international football lost its edge a tthe turn of the century. Guys like Shearer & Scholes retiring before 30 from the international game so they can earn more with their clubs. Feck sake even Steven Carr was at it. Joke.