tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Training Run Times - Page 1467 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 08-08-2019, 07:47 PM

P.S. congrats to Smurf on yet another win last night!!
Old 25-08-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmona View Post
Well, lads we must be all on flippin' holidays. Other years you'd have TimeO mad posting his speedy 4 milers all over the county of Cork. Terrier would be doing Tris in the Atlantic (Pond) and Smurf bringing home the bacon from races around Munster.

Wassup?!?!?!?

I'm bored here so I'll go through the new marathon plan in some detail. Started yesterday with a 12x400 session. Went ok. Nice and consistent on the reps but probably due to generous rec time. Rest of this week is easy and then it starts to ramp up a bit. For the next 8 weeks Tuesdays are speed sessions at 5/10k pace. Ranging from 6x800 to 5x1k, that sort of thing. I did notice one nasty 'ladder' session in Week 7 consisting of 400, 800, 1200, 1600 and back down...... should be fun! After that the Tuesdays change to what they call Strength sessions. Longer reps; 3.2miles, 2x5k, 5x2k and so on. All of these at 10 seconds a mile faster than target race pace. Thursdays are all about M pace. Every single week starting next Thursday with 10k and moving up to 16k for the last 3 weeks. But of course the most interesting part is the Sunday 'Long' Run. This is where it differs most from the classic plans. For fellas of my level (they do have elite plans where the LR really is Long) the longest run is 16 miles. These are to be done at slower than M pace but not THAT much slower. Their big idea is that of cumulative fatigue. So after a Sunday run of say 15 or 16 miles at a decent clip you'll have a faster than M pace session on Tuesday and an M pace run on Thursday. Obviously, a body isn't going into that Thursday run too fresh!! They claim that this mimics the last 16k of the marathon where you'll be running on tired kegs.

I'm split between being excited and scared of the plan. First of course, will I be able for it? And if I am, how will things pan out on the day?

I'll keep ye posted but I hope others will chip in too with their training. Which reminds me, what are the Autumn plans??????
Alright C.? Sorry to be so long answering your query – I was on holidays and am only back this week. Have been ramping the mileage up from high 20’s since early August and got a few longer ones done in San Remo and Paris. San Remo was tough going in the heat – I was drenched in sweat – got the bloody nipples an’ all, for the first time in many’s the year,
This week, back to “normal” and my first 50+ week in three years. Did 20 this morning with 275m of climbing in the first 10 so was fairly shagged after that. The track has been short pieces up to now. Will lengthen those as the weekly total consolidates. The only downside is that almost all of the running is fairly pedestrian – there’s no spark there at all. Usually you’d get one night in the week where you look at the watch afterwards and get pleasantly surprised by the speed but that hasn’t happened. Maybe something will come if I can keep the numbers totals there without getting a recurrence of the injury.
If I can keep going I’d be happy enough about tackling Dublin – but no sign yet of a target.

How’s that program going – especially the “cumulative fatigue”. Are you able to keep the sessions fresh?
Old 25-08-2019, 06:43 PM

I see Kipchoge is doing 150 to 170 miles per week in preparation for Vienna
Old 25-08-2019, 06:51 PM

Do any of her take pastilles or jellies on a run? Hear from some people that they certainly give you a boost mid run?
Old 25-08-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackpoolTerrier View Post
I see Kipchoge is doing 150 to 170 miles per week in preparation for Vienna
He's getting soft 😳
Old 25-08-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
Do any of her take pastilles or jellies on a run? Hear from some people that they certainly give you a boost mid run?
Depends on how long you’re running for jimmyY. You should need nothing at all up to about 60-70 minutes. Then a bit of sugar gives you a decent boost if you’re going on doing a bit more. I was out for around 2 hours 30 mins this morning and had half a peach just after the halfway mark. It did me the world of good

timeout will have more scientific details - he does nutrition for a living like...
Old 26-08-2019, 01:46 PM

Havent been on here in a few weeks.

9 weeks to go yesterday to Dublin Marathon.. progresssing nicely through training now, Carmona posted his plan, and asked for others to share, so this is my plan...

At the moment its transitioning from faster shorter stuff to longer slower stuff with some MP in between. Most of the training (Roughly 70 to 80%) is easy and slow from here on in with a long run at the weekend which is getting longer and contains some MP stuff or faster on occasions. There's a "speed" session in there on tuesdays also, which is more of a threshold session , that's also begining to get longer now and is soon to be more of a medium long run with threshold bits than a speed session.All in all, fingers crossed things are going along nicely. Up to now there has been a second bonus session in the week of threshold stuff, or hills, but that is being replaced gradually with more easy/recovery type running... looking like 6 runs a week from here on in with a rest day and some swimming / stretching / pilates on some of those days too.

Very interesting shift in training Carmona, i'd like to see how this works out. I understand what the plan is trying to do, so the proof of the pudding will be in the eating i suppose !
Old 27-08-2019, 08:13 AM
Senior PROC Member

The hols are over!!

To start with the last comment, Yeah PR, as ever the proof of the .... won't be seen till race day. And of course if the plan doesn't result in a PB or good race for me on the day, that doesn't mean that it's a bad plan. Might work for others or it might work for me if I were to try it another time.

The cumulative fatigue is the big selling point alright. I have started to notice it but I'm only just back to work so we'll see how it goes now as it starts to ramp up. It seems to go like this: Tues (speed - today was 5x1k...), Thursday (MP - this week is 10k again) and Sunday (Shorter Long Run at MP + 20 secs. This coming Sunday is 20k) Then the following week is Tues, similar and Thursday similar BUT with an Easy shortish Sunday. So the 5 sessions in 10 days is a tough enough stretch and the distances of the Thursday and Sunday increase. After 10 weeks (!!!) of Tuesday Speed it changes to Strength where the pace eases a bit - still faster than M but slower than 5k/10k - and the reps get longer. I have little doubt that when I get to the 16k @ M pace on a Thursday that has been proceeded by sessions on the previous Tues, Sun, Thurs and Tues...... that it won't be an easy session. But of course it's not supposed to be easy!

Fingers crossed the body holds up (and the weather cools down. Did this morning's session on the track at 7.30. Da job)

Good luck to all in their training. I know TimeO is struggling with a couple of niggles. PR and Terrier seem to be coming along nicely and Smurf is Smurf. Thomas, you doing an Autumn marathon or not?

No comment.
Old 27-08-2019, 08:22 AM

6 weeks in , have signed up for Castlelyons 10k in november and might
do waterford half marathon in december,
Old 27-08-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
6 weeks in , have signed up for Castlelyons 10k in november and might
do waterford half marathon in december,
Nice one Jimmy.
I'd say enter Waterford now - that will focus you and get you out on the road. It's a great way to end the year too - a real achievement. Waterford has a fair few hills so work a bit of up and down into your schedule.