tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Training Run Times - Page 1464 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 01-07-2019, 03:45 PM

Short update here on the last month or so. With the Lee Swim in a couple of weeks I had to get back into the swimming pool so the running has dipped to 30 miles per week or so. Some decent spins on Sundays with a few lads from Eagle – 16 to 18 miles at 7:25 or so, then two other steady runs during the week.

Meanwhile, yesterday was the first anniversary of the reboot after the hip operation. The deal at the time was to see how things would go then if all went well to just extend the mileage – giving it a year of easy running (no speed sessions) to bring back the strength. I ran 2 miles that day at 8:30 pace and it’s been a steady improvement ever since (barring a few injuries) - 17 yesterday including Church Hill.

So, it’s probably time to start returning to harder sessions (over the next few weeks once the Lee Swim is done). I have an entry for Dublin and will aim for that as the summer progresses. The three races in the spring indicate that 3:10 – 3:15 is worth aiming for.

Meanwhile, I was out at the lake bright and early this morning for a spin down towards the dam and back when bang! – I looked at my super-expensive triathlon-friendly watch and saw… nothing.

Nothing but a bright shiny meniscus of lake water where the display should be. Turns out a tiny nick in the back has flooded the watch and made the whole thing unusable.

FFS, mockery etc.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:55 PM

Great night had by all. congrats on the PB again Slim Jim/PR! Conditions were pretty much ideal for running alright. Its a great course, plenty fast - I cant understand why more people don't make the trip down from the city. Its a lovely setting as well.

I decided to go off quick enough which is a change of tact for me. that made it even more surprising when some bollix came up on my shoulder half a mile in and stepped ahead of me. My watch told me a I was running 5:10 pace. My watch then told me I ran mile 2 in 5:07. I was still 2nd. The guy leading me is a good runner but im not sure he could hold this pace for 10k. If I held back at little at this point I felt I could probably run 5:10's all the way, it would be a bit uncomfortably but could be done.
Theres a bit of climb, short but still a climb just before the 3 mile mark. I pushed a little up that hill and suddenly I had a 10 metre gap. Theres a right hand turn as your turn to leave Timoleague, heading back to Courtmac and its on a bit of a down hill. I decided to out the foot down a little here and widen that gap if I could. Mile 4 was a 4:57 and I now had a decent lead.
Being in front is kind of a scary place though when the roads are quiet, you have no feedback as to how far ahead you are you cant look back. All you can do at this point is "not fuck it up and look like a langer". The watch told me I was running 5:07 average and I say to myself that if I just concentrate on maintaining something around 5:10 pace I surely wont be caught, I was hurting though. There were a few supporters on the way in and you try to gauge your lead by the space between the claps for you and the pursuers behind! The fear of getting caught is a great motivator. The line finally came into view with the clock at 31:10...the watch still ready 5:07 pace. I knew that was in the sub32 ballpark. I had to leg it to make it but just snuck under the line in 31:58. Skipped the 32 minutes entirely! previous pb was 33:03 happy days!
Old 01-07-2019, 06:19 PM

Great report Smurf. V interesting to get a perspective from the front of the field. Over a minute PB at the pace you go at is remarkable
PR - you’re on a real upward curve at the moment. Great to see!
Terrier - shame about the watch but there’s always an upside...now you have an excuse to to get a even shinier
How’s everyone else getting on? Tough temps in Lux for training these days Carmona
Old 01-07-2019, 06:27 PM
Senior PROC Member

Jesus, Smurf that is a top time for a lad of your age for a 10k. Sub 32, flipping hell. Congratulations, man. I see the Terrier has started his DCM sand-bagging early this year 😁😉 . I'm in London for a few days, got out on Sunday for a short run. I'm finding the summer motivation a problem as usual.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:28 PM
Senior PROC Member

Nice running PR. I knew you'd be catching up with us......
Old 08-07-2019, 03:50 PM

Hey everyone,

Hope the summer programme is going well for you all.

Quick question:

I'm finding it hard to find out about the additional places for the Dublin marathon that are supposed to be available around now. Do you have to register somewhere or is there a specific date for general release?

Thanks,
Old 09-07-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcork View Post
Hey everyone,

Hope the summer programme is going well for you all.

Quick question:

I'm finding it hard to find out about the additional places for the Dublin marathon that are supposed to be available around now. Do you have to register somewhere or is there a specific date for general release?

Thanks,
Some of the recycled entries came out last week I think johnmY. Your best bet is to phone the DCM office at this stage and they’ll give you the straight story. Their number is 01 6232250. Good luck with it
Old 09-07-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackpoolTerrier View Post
Some of the recycled entries came out last week I think johnmY. Your best bet is to phone the DCM office at this stage and they’ll give you the straight story. Their number is 01 6232250. Good luck with it
11k requests for 2.5k places apparently. Oh well, next year.

Thanks blackpool
Old 16-07-2019, 07:22 PM

Wahey!
The new 735 arrived this morning. Took it out for a short spin this evening and all went well. It has one of those optical HRM readers an' all.

C., you'll be pleased to hear it told me that I could manage 3:03:39 for the marathon, based on the heart-rate it took to run 6 miles at 7:23 pace
Old 16-07-2019, 10:15 PM

Looks good BT. Hopefully there’ll be some sessions and race times recoded on it in the weeks, months and years to come. How did the Lee swim go?