Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 05-06-2019, 11:26 AM

Went out with Ballintotis group last night, really enjoyed it, great help
being part of a group, did 3 miles with a few one minute walks in between,
onwards and upwards,
Old 05-06-2019, 12:19 PM

Great to hear Jimmy... i'm a broken record about this but you'll get so much more out of running with a group than you ever will alone, and not just in terms of running either. Onwards and upwards indeed !
Old 05-06-2019, 01:01 PM

Well done again Terrier. How has the hammer been since Mon?
Jimmy-good to hear that things are progressing well.
I had a ‘great’ session of dry needling yesterday. At least 6 in each calf and another 6 in the right quad. A new ‘pb’ for me!
Old 05-06-2019, 03:08 PM

The pacing gig was very enjoyable. Its nice to be involved in some capacity if not racing.
Getting away from the line, there is always a danger of going off a little to fast. to be fair the 1st mile was 10seconds to fast...oops. That being said we did want to have 20 seconds in the bank after 4 miles. miles 4.5 to 8.5 are crap and you need to have something to give back to the course to keep the effort levels steady. Pacing Cork evenly is just not possible. I think we did pretty well at holding a decent size group together as far as the straight road. I was maybe 5 seconds ahead of my fellow pacer and i had 22 seconds in the bank at that point. Terrier was already gone for home at this point.
There was a decent tailwind to bring you home so I encourages all in my group (about 10 – 9 lads and 1 lady) to push on without me if able. Everyone fecked off and left me there on my lonesome. One guy kept looking over his shoulder looking for the balloon!

I slowed just a little bit and joined forces with my fellow balloon waver! We had 3 guys in this new group but 2 of them were struggling from 11 miles. Having slowed a bit to encourage these lads on, I checked my watch at the 12 mile mark and panicked just a little having run a 7:07 mile. Only 10 seconds in the bank. I probably picked it up a little to ensure I got back on track. I picked up a fellow club member negotiating the cobbles on north main st, he didn’t look like he was enjoying himself much but I encouraged him to stick with me and we would get under the 90mins. No wonder he was breathing hard as in my panic I was in the middle of running a 6:35mile. Ooops! We stuck together anyway and I finished in 1:29:31 – 9 seconds faster that I wanted. Its rare that you want to give back a few seconds!

Thankfully I never caught any of that group that left me earlier on the straight road until we had a chat after crossing the line.

Very enjoyable morning.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:56 PM
Senior PROC Member

Fuck it lads, that last page of posts is something else. A 2.26 marathoner (and a half-decent pacer to boot) encouraging a lad who's just started the journey.

Jimmy, who's to say you won't be passing us all in the years to come. The vast majority on here started from very humble beginnings and built it up slowly. Most of us are still building!!, which is the true miracle. Fantastic stuff.

No comment.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:34 AM

Two weeks into my training i am now doing 3k with two x 1 minute breaks
feeling so much better, I have two young kids so i dont get out until they are settled in bed so it could be 9.45 before i get out, Somebody has recommended an early morning run before work, she says she does it and finds it very good,
do any of ye go out before heading to work?
Old 12-06-2019, 12:14 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
feeling so much better, I have two young kids so i dont get out until they are settled in bed so it could be 9.45 before i get out, Somebody has recommended an early morning run before work, she says she does it and finds it very good,
I can often run to work. Shower here and all. Did it this morning. I know lots can't do that but you'd be surprised when you can fit a run in. As the kids get older you'll be dropping 'em to training/ballet lessons and that's another hour you can use..... Personally, I can't do the 5 a.m. shite meself but some do that!

No comment.
Old 14-06-2019, 10:02 AM

Agree with Carmona. I was taking this kids swimming and after 2 weeks watching them got in to the other side of the pool and started myself.
Old 18-06-2019, 04:48 PM

Tough spin with timeout on Sunday - and a timely warning. There was 18 miles on the card - including the Rafeen loop. We had 7:30 - 7:40 pace in the plan.

Before the run I had to do two separate drop-offs up and down to the swimming pool and I completely forgot to drink any water before tearing out to meet timeout and the lads. The last time I had eaten or drank was 19:00 the night before so this was a bad omission. We worked hard up along the Rafeen climb and I felt strange on the way down off the "peak". It was only when we emerged into the warm sunshine at the Rochestown flats that I realised I had a ferocious thirst on me.

Ah well, only five miles to go, I'll put up with it. Big mistake, around a mile up the track I was seeing spots in front of my eyes and I was asking timeout if he had water back at his car. Coming up the Marina it got messy and I decided we had to stop at Lee Rowing club. Going in the gate I nearly passed out and had to sit in the shade while a woman got me a bottle of water - head pounding now too. Fair dues to the lads - they waited on for me and we gingerly jogged back to town.

I dosed myself with water once I got up home but found it hard to eat until around three hours later. Ferocious DOMS and cramps right through until yesterday evening too - indicating salt balance was all over the shop due to the "no-hydration" policy. So, no more long spins without water at least every 9 or 10 miles - definitely in the summer.

Thanks again for the TLC timeout!
Old 18-06-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
Early morning runs are great jimmyY - way better than 21:45 - especially with smallies in the mix. Weather is stunning these mornings so it's no load. Plus, you're sharp as a tack when you go into work. You feel stiffer starting off but that wears off quickly.

Good to see the distance increasing! Get that 5k in your sights lad