tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
VAR - what do you think? - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 26-06-2018, 08:37 AM
Senior PROC Member

Default VAR - what do you think?

Personally I'm all in favour of seeing cheats like Naymar caught diving and initially awarded penalties being rescinded, or goals incorrectly ruled out subsequently allowed - and no I don't have Spain in the work buster!

There have been some poor decisions using VAR but the use of technology on decisions had teething problems in Rugby too, and Cricket, and tennis.

I hope in time the use of VAR will be a part of the game just like backpass rule or the off-side rule (did you know at one stage it had to be two defenders plus the keeper).

Once the refs can see what the cameras see and take appropriate action then it should eliminate 90+% of the important decisions that they were previously getting wrong.
Old 26-06-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
Personally I'm all in favour of seeing cheats like Naymar caught diving and initially awarded penalties being rescinded, or goals incorrectly ruled out subsequently allowed - and no I don't have Spain in the work buster!

There have been some poor decisions using VAR but the use of technology on decisions had teething problems in Rugby too, and Cricket, and tennis.

I hope in time the use of VAR will be a part of the game just like backpass rule or the off-side rule (did you know at one stage it had to be two defenders plus the keeper).

Once the refs can see what the cameras see and take appropriate action then it should eliminate 90+% of the important decisions that they were previously getting wrong.
Good point. I think as players seeing it being used correctly, some of the shenanigans at corner kicks for instance will drop away off current levels.
The penalty given against Portugal yesterday was bizarre mind you.

They need to use it to enforce serious sanctions for simulation mind you. Likes of Neymar's and Pepe's theatrics when hardly touched need to be washed out of game. Any player going down clutching his face when minimal or no contact to head or face needs to get automatic one match ban.
Old 26-06-2018, 10:03 AM

I would be in favour in the overall scheme of things as long as interrupt the flow of the game too much. It it all got a little silly in the last 15 mins of the Iran/Portugal game last night. The ref was surrounded and constantly harassed by players on both sides.
There needs to be some rules put in place to guard against harassment of the ref. im not a rugby fan but the level of respect shown to the ref needs to be the same in soccer.
Old 26-06-2018, 10:31 AM

It's much improved from the FA cup shitshow at Anfield, but it's still very much a work in progress. There are easy to solutions to a lot of the problems:

- Crowding the ref? Throw the yellow cards out
- Uncertainty? Mic the ref up, introduce hand signals so the crowd can see what is the topic of review

There are bigger issues at this world cup IMO with regard to the standard of refereeing. For example the England - Panama game, both Maguire and Kane dragged down, penalty given, no yellow? How can that be justified?

Then Mitrovic gets nothing. There's no standardisation as of yet.
Old 26-06-2018, 11:15 AM

It should be for goals only, not fouls/penalties.

Also, it clearly wasn't ready for implementation at this stage but they went ahead anyway, the dopes.
Old 26-06-2018, 11:28 AM

To quote paul calf,bag o'shite.
Old 26-06-2018, 11:33 AM

VAR was supposed to be foolproof and it's not, so why the need? I think the late goal given to Spain last night would not have been given to some other countries., especially if they were playing against Spain/France/Brazil or the likes.
Old 26-06-2018, 11:34 AM
Senior PROC Member

A way to improve it, might be to let the TV ref be in charge for big decisions, regarding goals and sending offs, diving etc. They can see four replays in 30 seconds, and can say with more accuracy what happened. That way he can just speak to the referee, and give them the decision, if they feel the ref was wrong. The ref can implement the decision.

It would speed it up and wouldn't interrupt the flow of the game as much.

What say ye?
Old 26-06-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
A way to improve it, might be to let the TV ref be in charge for big decisions, regarding goals and sending offs, diving etc. They can see four replays in 30 seconds, and can say with more accuracy what happened. That way he can just speak to the referee, and give them the decision, if they feel the ref was wrong. The ref can implement the decision.

It would speed it up and wouldn't interrupt the flow of the game as much.

What say ye?
What's really annoying is that every time the ref has checked something on the sideline, he's changed decision. It would be refreshing if one of them upheld their original decision. These ball to hand incidents are a real sickener to me.
Old 26-06-2018, 12:33 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy O'Ranieri View Post
It should be for goals only, not fouls/penalties.

Also, it clearly wasn't ready for implementation at this stage but they went ahead anyway, the dopes.

Not for penalties?? You'd have rewarded that scumbag Naymar for his swan dive would you? That's what's wrong with the game these days.