Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-01-2019, 09:51 AM
jimmym jimmym is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 16,435
Default Property tax increases

Large property tax increases are on the way based on fact that property
prices are increasing, Why is it that this tax was accepted without much opposition compared to water charges?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-01-2019, 09:54 AM
Roxetten Roxetten is online now
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 15,938
Default

Because it was aimed at the squeezed middle who accept that taxes are the price you pay for living in a functioning society.

If it does massively increase there will be protests though.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-01-2019, 09:57 AM
Stacky Stacky is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 34,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
Large property tax increases are on the way based on fact that property
prices are increasing, Why is it that this tax was accepted without much opposition compared to water charges?
People are slowly realising that if they want Scandinavian style decent public services then we will have to pay Scandinavian style taxes.


Mick Barry,PBP/AAA and SF etc will tell you that you should not pay for anything and just get out and protest on the streets.


We have the only Socialists on earth that are against property taxes.
__________________
"Nationalism is an infantile sickness. It is the measles of the human race."Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14-01-2019, 09:20 PM
sloblock sloblock is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 6,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
People are slowly realising that if they want Scandinavian style decent public services then we will have to pay Scandinavian style taxes.


Mick Barry,PBP/AAA and SF etc will tell you that you should not pay for anything and just get out and protest on the streets.


We have the only Socialists on earth that are against property taxes
You know that's not true. Why do you lie like this?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-01-2019, 11:19 AM
pubwithnobeer pubwithnobeer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
Large property tax increases are on the way based on fact that property
prices are increasing, Why is it that this tax was accepted without much opposition compared to water charges?
Large increases? Have you any link for that? I heard a politician before Christmas saying there wold be only moderate increases, whichever is true.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-01-2019, 11:23 AM
jimmym jimmym is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 16,435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubwithnobeer View Post
Large increases? Have you any link for that? I heard a politician before Christmas saying there wold be only moderate increases, whichever is true.
Heard a clip on radio this morning, but also think it is on independent.ie
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-01-2019, 11:33 AM
Roxetten Roxetten is online now
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 15,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
Heard a clip on radio this morning, but also think it is on independent.ie
Looks like click bait scaremongering, huge increases won't wash with Joe public, especially with en election due within 2 years.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-01-2019, 11:38 AM
Róisín_Rua Róisín_Rua is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Castle Rock, Maine
Posts: 9,890
Default

Has the Carbon Tax been mentioned yet?
__________________
★ R²
Never Value The Opinions Of Those You Do Not Consider Valuable
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-01-2019, 11:27 AM
Beamish Beamish is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 6,598
Default

https://www.independent.ie/business/...-37701264.html
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-01-2019, 11:39 AM
Ethelred Ethelred is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Usher's House
Posts: 5,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
Large property tax increases are on the way based on fact that property
prices are increasing, Why is it that this tax was accepted without much opposition compared to water charges?
Because Revenue were collecting it.

Simples.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.