Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 16-04-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bushwacker View Post

All jokes aside Eoin, the centres of activity in most rural areas are the pub and the dancehall/disco. Have you ever seen the film "Ballroom Of Romance"? Only fit men and women can play GAA but people from 19-90 can frequent the pub and the dancehall.
Factories, pubs & dancehalls closing down is a worse symptom of emigration imo. as people lose their livelihoods. While GAA clubs losing members is sad, it's hardly a priority to be shouting about from the rooftops.
But almost anyone can be involved in their local GAA club

48-0
Old 16-04-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:

All jokes aside Eoin, the centres of activity in most rural areas are the pub and the dancehall/disco. Have you ever seen the film "Ballroom Of Romance"? Only fit men and women can play GAA but people from 19-90 can frequent the pub and the dancehall.
Factories, pubs & dancehalls closing down is a worse symptom of emigration imo. as people lose their livelihoods. While GAA clubs losing members is sad, it's hardly a priority to be shouting about from the rooftops.
Oh my god.
Old 16-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by down da Castle View Post
The GAA do plenty abroad. I can speak to Asia where they send referees from Ireland to officiate at our major tournaments, provide financial assistance as well as being a constant source of support. At our major tournament last October in Seoul, there were 40 nationalities represented and approx 800 players. The GAA president was there, as was the Camogie President, Overseas board chair, 2 referees from Croke Park, representatives from the Leinster council
That's a good start,. Do you know if they were getting mainly ex-pats or did non-Irish people play in any significant numbers?
Old 16-04-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam2me View Post
That's a good start,. Do you know if they were getting mainly ex-pats or did non-Irish people play in any significant numbers?
for men, its about 70% Irish, for ladies its about 50/50
Old 16-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by down da Castle View Post
for men, its about 70% Irish, for ladies its about 50/50
For me that's the way the game should be progressing.
Old 16-04-2012, 06:16 PM

Ladies' football does seem to attract non-Irish players in a way the other codes don't. It's the fastest growing sport in primary schools in the English midlands, by all accounts.
Old 16-04-2012, 07:50 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapsy Pa View Post
But almost anyone can be involved in their local GAA club

Ireland witnessed huge emigration in the 1950s & 60s Lapsy. Did the GAA die out? No.
The comments on this from GAA people have been a little hysterical and smell of crying "wolf" imo.
Old 16-04-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Ireland witnessed huge emigration in the 1950s & 60s Lapsy. Did the GAA die out? No.
Plenty amalgamations of clubs in this era, though.

Whether you think this is a problem or not is subjective, I guess.

I do think the media trope of representing emigration through shots of young men trudging mournfully away from a deserted GAA pitch is overused, incidentally.
Old 16-04-2012, 09:53 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by northmallexile View Post
Plenty amalgamations of clubs in this era, though.

Whether you think this is a problem or not is subjective, I guess.

I do think the media trope of representing emigration through shots of young men trudging mournfully away from a deserted GAA pitch is overused, incidentally.

Amalgamations are one of the ways that clubs can survive. Some club officers are reluctant to lose their power though.
The only difference between the 50/60s and now is that back then GAA games were the only sports generally played in rural areas. Since then Football & Rugby have eaten into player resources.

Last edited by Lee Bushwacker; 17-04-2012 at 01:09 PM..
Old 17-04-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:

The comments on this from GAA people have been a little hysterical and smell of crying "wolf" imo.
You said that only fit women and children play GAA and I pointed out that anyone can be involved in the running of a GAA club.

Age doesn't come into it. There's a lot more to a GAA club than the 15 fellas out on the field.

48-0