Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 20-03-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delzer View Post
So you are telling me you would not rather get on a direct flight to Brussels, Berlin, Frankfurt or Copenhagen etc?

These are destinations that other cities in Europe that have a smaller population catchment area than Cork yet still have regular services to. Cork should at least have the means to go after new business without living off the scraps the DAA throw at them.

The Cork Brussels service failed because the market didn't use it.
Old 20-03-2017, 03:26 PM

Location: Living in a candy jail Peppermint bars Peanut brittle bunk beds and marshmallow walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drucker View Post
The Cork Brussels service failed because the market didn't use it.
Without a doubt smaller aircraft would be more beneficial for routes. The larger aircraft Aer Lingus and Ryanair use would be unsuitable for some routes. There have been a lot of rumours that Fly Be have been looking at offering services from Cork to Europe but ultimately have been unable to reach a deal with the DAA/Cork Airport.
Old 20-03-2017, 05:29 PM

The Brussels route was pulled after the shenanigans on the plane on the Sports Forum outing circa 2013. Clf taking a dump in the cockpit was bad enough, but scatter getting caught having a threesome with two trolly dollies down the back while Pol and Tony helped themselves to the drinks cart took the biscuit. Soggy as it was.
Old 20-03-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delzer View Post
So you are telling me you would not rather get on a direct flight to Brussels, Berlin, Frankfurt or Copenhagen etc?

These are destinations that other cities in Europe that have a smaller population catchment area than Cork yet still have regular services to. Cork should at least have the means to go after new business without living off the scraps the DAA throw at them.
Why would it be in the DAA's interest to scupper Cork airport if they ultimately own them? If Cork loses money then they have to absorb it.

It would be akin to cutting off your left arm to make your right arm stronger, is it possible many Europeans have never heard of Cork as opposed to Dublin and hence don't have the same interest to travel here?
Old 20-03-2017, 10:57 PM

The DAA is actively promoting Cork Airport. Maybe if they changed the name to D&CAA it migh nail the conspiracy theories once and for all.
Old 21-03-2017, 10:24 AM

Location: Living in a candy jail Peppermint bars Peanut brittle bunk beds and marshmallow walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drucker View Post
The DAA is actively promoting Cork Airport. Maybe if they changed the name to D&CAA it migh nail the conspiracy theories once and for all.
Yeah the Norwegian shenanigans really showed how they are promoting Cork......
Old 21-03-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSensible View Post
Why would it be in the DAA's interest to scupper Cork airport if they ultimately own them? If Cork loses money then they have to absorb it.

It would be akin to cutting off your left arm to make your right arm stronger, is it possible many Europeans have never heard of Cork as opposed to Dublin and hence don't have the same interest to travel here?
I think it is more out of sight out of mind, the little kid pulling on the apron strings annoying mammy!!
Old 21-03-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSensible View Post

I am not at all convinced that it is in Cork Airport's interests to be governed by the DAA. I don't think there is a conspiracy but there is a structural flaw in governance. There is only so much business available in terms of air travel; airports compete with one another for patronage, and Cork's growth will by definition rely on taking passengers from other airports; including Dublin's. I don't agree that the two airports can be (or are) managed as complementary entities - there is no evidence of this. I fail to comprehend how a single authority can satisfy effectively competing agendas. Would the Port of Cork be better served by being managed by Dublin Port? I doubt anyone would make such a case. There is no difference.
Old 21-03-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mire View Post
I am not at all convinced that it is in Cork Airport's interests to be governed by the DAA. I don't think there is a conspiracy but there is a structural flaw in governance. There is only so much business available in terms of air travel; airports compete with one another for patronage, and Cork's growth will by definition rely on taking passengers from other airports; including Dublin's. I don't agree that the two airports can be (or are) managed as complementary entities - there is no evidence of this. I fail to comprehend how a single authority can satisfy effectively competing agendas. Would the Port of Cork be better served by being managed by Dublin Port? I doubt anyone would make such a case. There is no difference.
I'd agree with that, but even under separate management there is no guarantee things would be significantly better. A lot of people tend to forget the most important component is not the airports but the airlines. They only have a finite number of planes and as they are not charities they will deploy these planes on what they perceive to be the most profitable routes. Obviously landing fees will come into any decision made but the main factor in any decision will be numbers and if the numbers don't stack up then they won't offer a service. And numbers will be influenced not just by population but by relative exposure, so other outside influences come into it Bord Failte etc. and in our case as much as we are loathe to admit Cork doesn't register in many Europeans minds when they think of Ireland, whereas Dublin does unfortunately. The airports themselves can only do so much but ultimately it is the airlines who call the shots.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:31 AM

Qatar just announced flights to Cardiff. A smaller airport than Cork. Admittedly with a main runway that is 1000 feet longer.