Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 12-03-2018, 11:27 PM

Smile The Official John Sheridan Tribute Thread

Great player for the owls.Im sure most United fans won't begrudge Wednesday that league cup win in 1991.

A goal worthy of winning any cup final i think.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:53 PM

He had a fine world cup in 94 too. Unlucky not to hit the back of the net of a few occasions.
A fine player indeed
Old 13-03-2018, 12:03 AM

My footballing idol growing up. Shez (I even named my username after him) was a beacon of class in a dark decade of mediocrity for Leeds.

Leeds actually played some decent football during the mid to late 1980s, but the Championship was no environment for a cultured brand of football. Denis Irwin, Scott Sellers and eventually Sheridan had to move on before Howard Wilkinson's more pragmatic approach eventually secured promotion.

Favourite Sheridan goal is the free-kick against Charlton in extra-time in the replayed Play-Off Final at St Andrews. Extra-time and he curls in a beauty from the edge of the box to send the 18,000 Leeds supporters in a crowd of 18,500 into raptures.

Really thought that was the goal to send us up. Unfortunately fate decreed otherwise. Always remember the stunned silence over the radio when two Peter Shirtliff goals in the last four minutes killed our hopes.

Was happy to see Shez go on and have a great career for Wednesday and of course in the green of Ireland. He was majestic in 1994, both in the build up games for the World Cup and again against Italy and Norway. Real pity that chip against Norway didn't drop a foot or two under the bar. We could have won the group, stayed in New York and who knows what we could have achieved.

Top lad as well.
Old 13-03-2018, 02:02 AM

Wednesday had a serious side in the early 90's.They beat Manchester united in the 1991 League Cup final.They finished third in the 1991/1992 season.And the visited Wembley 4 times in 1992/1993.The League Cup final and the FA Cup semi final and FA Cup final and replay.

They gave a good account of themselves, against a very good Arsenal side in all three finals, but they ended up empty handed.At least the beat the pigs in that FA Cup semi final though.

I feel that side was broken up too soon by both Trevor Francis and David Pleat.That's where the slide started.David Pleat forced John Sheridan out of Hillsborough.And then Danny Wilson finished off Wednesday as a club for the next decade and beyond.Signing rubbish like Giles De Bilde and Simon Donnely etc. Over inflated transfer fees, over inflated wages, and really long term contracts.It took the club around 10 years to recover from the damage.
Old 13-03-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shez1987 View Post
My footballing idol growing up. Shez (I even named my username after him) was a beacon of class in a dark decade of mediocrity for Leeds.

Leeds actually played some decent football during the mid to late 1980s, but the Championship was no environment for a cultured brand of football. Denis Irwin, Scott Sellers and eventually Sheridan had to move on before Howard Wilkinson's more pragmatic approach eventually secured promotion.

Favourite Sheridan goal is the free-kick against Charlton in extra-time in the replayed Play-Off Final at St Andrews. Extra-time and he curls in a beauty from the edge of the box to send the 18,000 Leeds supporters in a crowd of 18,500 into raptures.

Really thought that was the goal to send us up. Unfortunately fate decreed otherwise. Always remember the stunned silence over the radio when two Peter Shirtliff goals in the last four minutes killed our hopes.

Was happy to see Shez go on and have a great career for Wednesday and of course in the green of Ireland. He was majestic in 1994, both in the build up games for the World Cup and again against Italy and Norway. Real pity that chip against Norway didn't drop a foot or two under the bar. We could have won the group, stayed in New York and who knows what we could have achieved.

Top lad as well.
Peter shirtliff broke my heart that friday night, what a great free kick by shez, himself and ian snodin were great for leeds mid 80s, shez also had a reputation of being a bit of a "lad" which endeared him to the fans, clough refused to play him for forest as it is said clough never sanctioned the purchase of shez,
Old 13-03-2018, 02:09 PM

Watched and admired him in many games on tv, highly skilful and great vision.
Then saw him in the flesh playing for Ireland.
As slow as a double-decker bus going up Patrick's hill.