Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 05-08-2008, 04:53 AM

Default Need Advice Mac Specs

Evening all,

I've decided after looking into a good few options that I want a Macbook.

I can get it cheap from the states. My plan is to get a basic spec and upgrade RAM myself for a fraction of the price, buy and external hard drive for music and what not, and buy an external disk drive for dvd burning which should save me a lot.

I have a basic understanding of most of the specs so I'm cool with that.

My question really centres around what's a good processor and is the integrated graphics card in a Mac any good?

So basically, is it worth twice the price to have a better processor and dedicated graphics card in a Mac Book Pro.

If I did that I wouldn't need to by a Disk Drive either though I'd still need the rest.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:54 AM

Also, what's the difference in RPM on a hard drive really make?

After a price check I can either get a bottom of the line Mac for 500euro which will need 200euro worth of upgrades or I can get a Macbook Pro, which has a dedicated Graphics Card, 4gb of Ram, a better processor (2.4ghz), a double layer super drive and a 200gb hd at 7200rpm which will set me back 1200euro. What's the advice?

The spec is vastly superior but do I need it?

Last edited by Darker Conscience; 05-08-2008 at 05:10 AM..
Old 05-08-2008, 08:53 AM

I have a MBP use it for music production and working with final cut pro the odd time so I push the machine every now and then, it's 3 years old and has never left me down i know it a bit extra but that few quid will stand to you for years.

http://myspace.com/paddypaws123
Old 05-08-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darker Conscience View Post
The spec is vastly superior but do I need it?
You've not said what you'll be "needing" it for. General music, surfing & email, the odd document here & there and yer general spec'll be grand. Macs don't slow down or get stodgy with time, unlike Windows machines, it'll run the same years down the line.