Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-03-2017, 01:15 PM
jimmym jimmym is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJ View Post
Fair point.
But let's say that, so far, she's not coming across as being much more than an ersatz copy of "Her Master's Voice".
But maybe I'll be surprised in the coming months.
Do you agree though that Arlene Foster is a beaten docket at this stage?
even people i know that are not republicans are sickened by foster,
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-03-2017, 01:19 PM
Corcaigh32 Corcaigh32 is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Corcaigh
Posts: 32,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
even people i know that are not republicans are sickened by foster,
It is obvious members of her own party are. They attack SF because they have to but none of them have attacked SF using the argument their contention about Foster is false.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-03-2017, 01:19 PM
BBJ BBJ is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The town of the hurdled ford
Posts: 2,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulgorm View Post
I have been told by a relative up there that the DUP, on the ground, are preaching that if they are not returned as the largest party, O'Neill will be the First Minister. The Unionists could not stomach that. They may not like Foster, but the thought of an SF First Minister would turn their stomachs. So, the DUP will top the poll again.
But as SF will not have AF as First Minister, then there'll be stalemate and Proconsul Brokenshire will have to take over the controls for a while, perhaps for quite a long time.
Truly depressing.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-03-2017, 01:25 PM
CORKBHOY CORKBHOY is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 52,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcaigh32 View Post
It is obvious members of her own party are. They attack SF because they have to but none of them have attacked SF using the argument their contention about Foster is false.
I'm not as convinced as you on this.

Why hasn't anyone other candidate(s) stepped forward as future leader? If she's a dead duck walking you'd imagine there'd be several potential replacement standing in line with their knives sharpened a la FG.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-03-2017, 01:32 PM
Corcaigh32 Corcaigh32 is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Corcaigh
Posts: 32,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORKBHOY View Post
I'm not as convinced as you on this.

Why hasn't anyone other candidate(s) stepped forward as future leader? If she's a dead duck walking you'd imagine there'd be several potential replacement standing in line with their knives sharpened a la FG.
But sure they can't. In an election in the North, it is us against them as the campaign has clearly demonstrated. In that case you defend your own which is what they are doing with the "SF cynical ploy" routine. I have seen 3 or 4 DUP reps on BBC in the last 2 weeks and none of them have addressed the Arlene Cash issue in the debate or said she has no case to answer.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-03-2017, 04:17 PM
Duffs Duffs is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 12,007
Default

Arlene Foster will get elected simply because the Protestant voters have been brought up to fear Catholic rule.

As Paisley and the other sectarian bigots used to say - Dublin Rule is Rome Rule. And they weren't far wrong!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-03-2017, 05:29 PM
jimmym jimmym is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffs View Post
Arlene Foster will get elected simply because the Protestant voters have been brought up to fear Catholic rule.

As Paisley and the other sectarian bigots used to say - Dublin Rule is Rome Rule. And they weren't far wrong!
a lot of protestants are not as twisted and bitter as arlene, almost 20years of normality has eased many fears
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-03-2017, 08:57 PM
CHANCE CHANCE is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: sure if i knew id tell ye.
Posts: 14,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
a lot of protestants are not as twisted and bitter as arlene, almost 20years of normality has eased many fears
Yeah Arlene Foster seems very old school which isn't helpful. Did I hear right that the SDLP and the UUP were doing an informal voting arrangement ? It's great if that's true as it might be the start of normalisation of voting.
__________________
"The future is not set." terminator 1991
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-03-2017, 09:20 PM
jimmym jimmym is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHANCE View Post
Yeah Arlene Foster seems very old school which isn't helpful. Did I hear right that the SDLP and the UUP were doing an informal voting arrangement ? It's great if that's true as it might be the start of normalisation of voting.
Yes uup and sdlp have asked voters to cross transfer
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-03-2017, 09:24 PM
TopicGrinder TopicGrinder is offline
Banned
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 19,159
Default

Is it E voting in Northern Ireland or old school ?

Last edited by TopicGrinder; 02-03-2017 at 09:39 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.