Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 02-03-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJ View Post
Fair point.
But let's say that, so far, she's not coming across as being much more than an ersatz copy of "Her Master's Voice".
But maybe I'll be surprised in the coming months.
Do you agree though that Arlene Foster is a beaten docket at this stage?
even people i know that are not republicans are sickened by foster,
Old 02-03-2017, 01:19 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
even people i know that are not republicans are sickened by foster,
It is obvious members of her own party are. They attack SF because they have to but none of them have attacked SF using the argument their contention about Foster is false.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulgorm View Post
I have been told by a relative up there that the DUP, on the ground, are preaching that if they are not returned as the largest party, O'Neill will be the First Minister. The Unionists could not stomach that. They may not like Foster, but the thought of an SF First Minister would turn their stomachs. So, the DUP will top the poll again.
But as SF will not have AF as First Minister, then there'll be stalemate and Proconsul Brokenshire will have to take over the controls for a while, perhaps for quite a long time.
Truly depressing.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcaigh32 View Post
It is obvious members of her own party are. They attack SF because they have to but none of them have attacked SF using the argument their contention about Foster is false.
I'm not as convinced as you on this.

Why hasn't anyone other candidate(s) stepped forward as future leader? If she's a dead duck walking you'd imagine there'd be several potential replacement standing in line with their knives sharpened a la FG.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:32 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORKBHOY View Post
I'm not as convinced as you on this.

Why hasn't anyone other candidate(s) stepped forward as future leader? If she's a dead duck walking you'd imagine there'd be several potential replacement standing in line with their knives sharpened a la FG.
But sure they can't. In an election in the North, it is us against them as the campaign has clearly demonstrated. In that case you defend your own which is what they are doing with the "SF cynical ploy" routine. I have seen 3 or 4 DUP reps on BBC in the last 2 weeks and none of them have addressed the Arlene Cash issue in the debate or said she has no case to answer.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:17 PM

Arlene Foster will get elected simply because the Protestant voters have been brought up to fear Catholic rule.

As Paisley and the other sectarian bigots used to say - Dublin Rule is Rome Rule. And they weren't far wrong!
Old 02-03-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffs View Post
Arlene Foster will get elected simply because the Protestant voters have been brought up to fear Catholic rule.

As Paisley and the other sectarian bigots used to say - Dublin Rule is Rome Rule. And they weren't far wrong!
a lot of protestants are not as twisted and bitter as arlene, almost 20years of normality has eased many fears
Old 02-03-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
a lot of protestants are not as twisted and bitter as arlene, almost 20years of normality has eased many fears
Yeah Arlene Foster seems very old school which isn't helpful. Did I hear right that the SDLP and the UUP were doing an informal voting arrangement ? It's great if that's true as it might be the start of normalisation of voting.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHANCE View Post
Yeah Arlene Foster seems very old school which isn't helpful. Did I hear right that the SDLP and the UUP were doing an informal voting arrangement ? It's great if that's true as it might be the start of normalisation of voting.
Yes uup and sdlp have asked voters to cross transfer
Old 02-03-2017, 09:24 PM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Is it E voting in Northern Ireland or old school ?

Last edited by TopicGrinder; 02-03-2017 at 09:39 PM..