tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Will the Footballers get bigger crowds than the Hurlers - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 24-03-2011, 03:08 PM

Default Will the Footballers get bigger crowds than the Hurlers

I would suspect in 2011 for the first time since the early 90's our footballers will get bigger crowds to games than our hurlers, and the league numbers are proving my point. Success is a funny thing, suddenly "hurling lads" are becoming "football lads"

As a northside city boy my area was always 50/50 but this year the footballers are getting all the conversation and all the attention. As a fella would prefer football I am loving it.

Hi, as a side note, i'd say big mikey cussen was sick as a parrot last september!!!
Old 24-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Boys Oh Boys Forum Users

Erra success breeds support.

Fans are a fickle bunch, no surprises there.
Old 24-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Senior PROC Member

Will they isn't the question - the point is we need to get away from one over the other full stop.
Old 24-03-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcaigh32 View Post
Will they isn't the question - the point is we need to get away from one over the other full stop.
gas isnt it
when the hurlers were getting all the attention ande the footballers were making that exact argument, no one wanted to know! But now.........!!

I remember the time of the strikes when the players made their public speeches in town, when Canty came out to to say his bit half of the "fans" didnt know who he was!
Old 24-03-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcaigh32 View Post
While personally I have always supported both in more or less equal measure the simple fact is some people follow/support/play one code and just don't have a grá for the other. You can't force somebody to be interested in something they may not care for.
Old 24-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Senior PROC Member

I support both. I am not saying forcing interest rather that there has traditionally been a hierarchy of hurling over football and in a county like ours that's madness.
Old 24-03-2011, 09:05 PM

The crowds will depend on the game and the opposition. A cork-kerry game in the football would draw more than say a cork-limerick munster game or an antrim game at croke park.

I would still think though that for example if youd cork-kerry in the football and cork-tipp in the hurling on the same day youd get a bigger cork crowd at the hurling.

My own bias is for football but i'd follow the hurlers in nearly as equal measure
Old 25-03-2011, 12:13 PM

i think the footballers playing Kerry and Dublin would get bigger crowds than any Hurling match, even KK or Tipp

If we played the Dubs in hurling tho, no one would care which is funny.
Dublin Cork in the football last year surpassed anything i have ever experienced at a Cork Hurling match, incl All Ireland Finals. It was phenomenal. All credit to the Dublin fans for that one to be fair to them. Absolutely savage atmosphere and no nastiness atall unlike the animals or Tipp/KK
Old 25-03-2011, 11:23 PM

Interesting thread! I reckon there is a changing of the tide (probably not the best words because both teams are wearing the same jersey) because the footballers are starting to win more and more of the tight games with second half bursts, similarly to the hurlers of 2003-2006.

The Dublin game last year may way have been the catalyst! Who knows? Hate to go back to it but if Kerry in Croke Park is knocked over then I think they will get bigger crowds than hurlers for definite!

Having said all this, Hurling is a miles faster and more skillful game imo but winning is everything so....
Old 25-03-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinMagner View Post
i think the footballers playing Kerry and Dublin would get bigger crowds than any Hurling match, even KK or Tipp

If we played the Dubs in hurling tho, no one would care which is funny.
Dublin Cork in the football last year surpassed anything i have ever experienced at a Cork Hurling match, incl All Ireland Finals. It was phenomenal. All credit to the Dublin fans for that one to be fair to them. Absolutely savage atmosphere and no nastiness atall unlike the animals or Tipp/KK
They wouldn't care as much because hurling isn't popular up there but I wouldn't fancy meeting them this year. Reckon a major trophy is a matter of time for them! Here's hoping for Hurling nationally it will be the NHL or the Leinster Championship this year...