Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 25-10-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Big Clubs chase Mexican Superstar

Arsenal have handed a trial to Mexican youngster Carlos Vela, but the forward is eyeing a move to Spain's La Liga.

The top scorer in the recent World Under-17 Championships is believed to be training with Arsene Wenger's Gunners this week and reports claim a deal will be set up in January to sign the teenager.

However, the Chivas starlet has indicated he would rather continue his progress in Guadalajara before securing a move to Spain.

"My future is in Spanish football," he declared to Es Mas. "But we should listen to the offers that will be made to know if I will leave to go abroad or I will stay with Chivas of Guadalajara. That is where I have started my career."

Real Madrid, Valencia, Barcelona and Internazionale are all prepared to battle Arsenal for the signature of a player who scored in Mexico's Under-17 final victory over Brazil.

Sources close to the player reckon he will cost in excess of £2 million and Wenger looks to have stolen a march on his rivals by getting the 17-year-old to North London.

Officials from the youngster's club, Chivas, insist they have already opened talks with The Gunners and seem happy for the player to move to Highury.

"It is very serious, this is what we wanted, for a club to talk directly with us and things are going well," stated Chivas vice preisent Nestor de la Torre.

"From a sporting point of view, everyone is agreed.

"We want the best for Carlos and we are in harmony with his representative and family and now we just have to wait and see how the talks go (with Arsenal)."

If convinced by Vela's ability, Wenger must persuade the promising talent to forget his dream of playing in Spain, particularly as Valencia are thought to be willing to match any bids for him.