tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
the official ireland World Cup 2014 finals thread - Page 378 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 16-10-2013, 05:39 PM

Put this in the WC thread earlier, thought it was this one...

Think Noel King was way out of line last night. Showed no respect to Tony O'Donoghue (ever met him? He's a dick too.) who asked a fairly innoccuous question. Dunphy went too far too, though, belittling Darragh Moloney in the studio after.

God bless the man who takes over this rabble. I expect to lose the majority of Keane, O'Shea, Dunne, etc. over the before France 2016 and the replacements don't inspire confidence. Anthony Stokes is an appalling footballer and should be nowhere near the national team.

Goalkeeping, if we can keep Forde, Westwood and Newcastle's Elliot, we'll be alright. Randolph is a handy fourth but will probably never be called into action. Would be good to see Westwood establish himself for Sunderland and for them to stay in the PL.

Defensively, we are in trouble. I like Coleman and Wilson in the full back spots but we are really lacking hereafter. Ciaran Clark looks capable, so if he can stay in Villa's team he'll be very important for us. Might be worth his while looking toward Gary Cahill's example and leaving to get regular football if Okore is preferred when he is fit. Joey O'Brien should be a regular starter for us too - he is important for West Ham, and when his competition is St. Ledger... Is Alex Pearce available for us or did he declare elsewhere?

In the middle, we do have players. It's not a total disaster if McCarthy and Gibson are fit. Whelan is a handy back-up, and out wide we have Brady, McGeady, McClean. Hoolahan and Pilkington (though he doesn't seem to want to know...) are good, and the emergence of Meyler and Hendrick for their club sides can only do us good.

Going forward is the real issue though. Take Keane out of the equation and we don't have a finisher. Long is poor (he has fallen behind Anichebe at WBA ffs), Doyle plays in League One and looks every bit of it. Stokes is shocking, while Walters and Cox aren't goalscorers for all their effort.

Looking further into the youths, I don't see much to excite. Iceland had a core group coming through that pushed them as far as the play-offs, we can just hope for similar luck really. The starting striker for our U21s is currently on loan at Crawley Town and hasn't found the net in 9 games. Samir Carruthers and Shane Duffy are the best of a bad lot really, and neither has made any in-roads with their clubs just yet.

I hope I'm proven to be wrong on the youngsters, but it looks like another decade of finishing 3rd for us.

Fingers crossed that Romania lose their play-off and we get seeded 2nd for the Euros. If we can't make it into that tournament (24 of the 52 European sides will qualify) then we need to radically assess where we are in terms of football. Plenty of smaller, worse equipped nations are making the best of what they have, no reason we can't too.
Old 16-10-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlackNova View Post

Looking further into the youths, I don't see much to excite. Iceland had a core group coming through that pushed them as far as the play-offs, we can just hope for similar luck really. The starting striker for our U21s is currently on loan at Crawley Town and hasn't found the net in 9 games. Samir Carruthers and Shane Duffy are the best of a bad lot really, and neither has made any in-roads with their clubs just yet.

I hope I'm proven to be wrong on the youngsters, but it looks like another decade of finishing 3rd for us.
Carruthers is a talent, on loan and playing well at MK Dons by all accounts, all going to plan he should hopefully be making the Villa squad by this time next year.

There's also Jack Grealish who looks a class prospect and is probably Villa's most hyped youngster. Currently on loan at Notts Co. Still a teenager, he impressed for Villa in their pre-season games, so again he should hopefully be making the Villa squad in the next couple of years. The only problem with him is that he might declare for England.

If either of these 2 make the step up then Ireland will be looking good offensively though neither are out and out strikers.
Old 16-10-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Put this in the WC thread earlier, thought it was this one...

Think Noel King was way out of line last night. Showed no respect to Tony O'Donoghue (ever met him? He's a dick too.) who asked a fairly innoccuous question. Dunphy went too far too, though, belittling Darragh Moloney in the studio after.
You said in the other thread to play McGeady against the weaker sides and leave him out against the Germanys but you can't really do that as it undermines the confidence of the lad and denies the game time to whoever has to come in against the likes of Germany. Tactically, it makes sense, but psychologically and for the sake of the team, it doesn't.

I thought Noel King wasn't really out of line, although it showed him up as an unpolished media performer. This line of questioning 'should you have brought McGeady on earlier?' is a total trap - if he answers yes, he undermines the confidence of the lad who went off, if he says no he's seen as inflexible and unwilling to listen to the RTE pundits who know it all.

King doesn't know what's going to happen when he brings on McGeady as he is sometimes inconsistent. If he brought him on earlier he might have been less motivated to perform. As it turned out, it worked out, people should be happy enough with that and not trying to pick holes where there aren't any.

Long is a trier and might yet come good. The rest of what you say is fair enough, though.
Old 16-10-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppellanger View Post
King doesn't know what's going to happen when he brings on McGeady as he is sometimes inconsistent. If he brought him on earlier he might have been less motivated to perform. As it turned out, it worked out, people should be happy enough with that and not trying to pick holes where there aren't any.
King could have tried to make a real point, like he didn't make a change because we were solid, keeping our shape and so on, and that he put on McGeady when the defenders were tiring and he thought McGeady could make most impact.

There were lots of football reasons to defend his choice. There were others to say he was wrong. But he should just explain his reasoning and let the world decide whether he was right or wrong. Going off on one just make him look like he was out of his depth.

It doesn't help him either that he kept defending the Germany performance, when really the only difference between the first and second German games was that they were exceptionally clinical in the first and the opposite in the second. In the first they had 9 shots, 6 on target. In the second they had 28 shots, 11 on target.
Old 16-10-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Long is a trier and might yet come good. The rest of what you say is fair enough, though.
His confidence looks totally destroyed. Hopefully it won't become a long term problem.
Old 16-10-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Fingers crossed that Romania lose their play-off and we get seeded 2nd for the Euros. If we can't make it into that tournament (24 of the 52 European sides will qualify) then we need to radically assess where we are in terms of football.
Ireland is currently ranked in the 30's for the UEFA area. We need a decent group.

Anyone know why we could be in pot 2 despite being ranked so low?

Edit: it's a coefficient based on the last three qualifying efforts, plus the games in euro 2012.
http://www.footballseeding.com/natio.../ranking-2013/
Old 16-10-2013, 11:11 PM

McGeady when available should start every game on the wing.

On his day he's by far our best winger and probably the only player we have with any bit of flair.
Old 17-10-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanpablo View Post
Carruthers is a talent, on loan and playing well at MK Dons by all accounts, all going to plan he should hopefully be making the Villa squad by this time next year.

There's also Jack Grealish who looks a class prospect and is probably Villa's most hyped youngster. Currently on loan at Notts Co. Still a teenager, he impressed for Villa in their pre-season games, so again he should hopefully be making the Villa squad in the next couple of years. The only problem with him is that he might declare for England.

If either of these 2 make the step up then Ireland will be looking good offensively though neither are out and out strikers.
Hopefully there's a few more, I'm not overly familiar with the underage sides atm as I would've been in the past.

Quote:
You said in the other thread to play McGeady against the weaker sides and leave him out against the Germanys but you can't really do that as it undermines the confidence of the lad and denies the game time to whoever has to come in against the likes of Germany. Tactically, it makes sense, but psychologically and for the sake of the team, it doesn't.

I thought Noel King wasn't really out of line, although it showed him up as an unpolished media performer. This line of questioning 'should you have brought McGeady on earlier?' is a total trap - if he answers yes, he undermines the confidence of the lad who went off, if he says no he's seen as inflexible and unwilling to listen to the RTE pundits who know it all.

A lack of experience in dealing with the media didn't help - he made the mistake of actually answering the question instead of side-stepping it as a seasoned pro would've. A simple "McGeady made a great impact after he came on, all the lads gave it their all and did themselves proud" would've appeased RTE. In that situation, neither yes or no is the right answer.

I like Long, but he is in danger of becoming Doyle mk.2 at this rate. He needs to get back into the team and get his confidence back.
Old 17-10-2013, 08:09 PM

I missed this at the time.

Do these lads ever stop moaning? Nothing worse then brutally average players thinking they have some god given right to start.

''NOEL KING PLAYED down concerns about squad unrest after last night’s 3-1 win against Kazakhstan.

Shane Long and James McClean both appeared to criticise the interim Ireland manager as they were left as unused substitutes for a second successive game under King.

“Cowboy!! Nuff said,” Long tweeted before kick-off while McClean said it had been “a long ten days.”

King accepted that some players were disappointed but defended his squad selection and his man-management.

How would you not be happy spending 10 days here and not playing? Try it. It’s horrendous.
He added: “I spoke to all the individual players before anything happened. They all know where I’m coming from on it, they’re all professional.

“I don’t mind if they’re unhappy. That’s life.

They may have been unhappy but not one of them sulked and not one of them didn’t perform any of the deeds that was asked of them. That’s great.''
Old 17-10-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayons O'Neil View Post
I missed this at the time.

Do these lads ever stop moaning? Nothing worse then brutally average players thinking they have some god given right to start.

''NOEL KING PLAYED down concerns about squad unrest after last night’s 3-1 win against Kazakhstan.

Shane Long and James McClean both appeared to criticise the interim Ireland manager as they were left as unused substitutes for a second successive game under King.

“Cowboy!! Nuff said,” Long tweeted before kick-off while McClean said it had been “a long ten days.”

King accepted that some players were disappointed but defended his squad selection and his man-management.

How would you not be happy spending 10 days here and not playing? Try it. It’s horrendous.
He added: “I spoke to all the individual players before anything happened. They all know where I’m coming from on it, they’re all professional.

“I don’t mind if they’re unhappy. That’s life.

They may have been unhappy but not one of them sulked and not one of them didn’t perform any of the deeds that was asked of them. That’s great.''
Too right. This is what we're dealing with these days.