tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Are Fianna Fail finished ? - Page 9 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 28-02-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langeroo View Post
But isn't that always what happens to the smaller party in coalition? Labour were down to 10% in the weekend's poll; After the PDs were wiped out in '07 the Greens took their place as junior coalition turkey voting for Christmas.

And this brings up an interesting scenario that falls on its feet into this "future of FF" thread.

What happens to FF if they're the junior coalition partner?
To SF?
To FG?
To Labour?

Be careful what you wish for!
Although that was after doubling their representation in '02, having been the junior coalition partner for 5 years. I guess in retrospect, 2002 was a bit of a weird election.
Old 28-02-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcaigh32 View Post
There won't be an FF..
Wishful thinking.

FF have been the target of hatred since the civil war, but they've still got the most successful "party machine" in the country. 22% in the West Dublin bi-election last year, 16% in the polls is small compared the 40% they had been used to, but it's 6 ahead of Labour.
Old 28-02-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langeroo View Post
Wishful thinking.

FF have been the target of hatred since the civil war, but they've still got the most successful "party machine" in the country. 22% in the West Dublin bi-election last year, 16% in the polls is small compared the 40% they had been used to, but it's 6 ahead of Labour.
Which is a scary thought.

Despite driving the country's economy into a wall, they still get votes.

It's like giving a drink driver who drives the school bus off a cliff his job back...
Old 28-02-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Don't see it poulgorm.
Labour will be in trouble if they are not careful.
Personally I think we need a whole new politics but then that's not easily achieved.
Tbh C32-y you mention that quite a lot but I wonder do you ever give any consideration to what that might be.

For a guy who is all for change and new ideas you bawk at even the slightest deviation from anything that doesn't fit your perception of 'Irishness'.

Anyone who (correctly) criticizes the Irish language is a Blue shirt fascist in your books and you are always harking on about the need for cross border policies ????????? No one gives a fuck about either.

Yes we do need a new politic in this country , one devoid of the patriotic , nationalist and republican dribble which has been used as emotional blackmail by a series of elitist cabals who have played this country for suckers and ran it as a personal fiefdom since the formation of the state.
Old 28-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Senior PROC Member

Alright enough. That is complete and utter bull. I genuinely thought you were more than a reactionary here. Have you actually read what I post or do you have a fixed impression of me now and that's it?

That we disagree is fine, everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it but just because you and I disagree on one particular thing don't make everything about it or return it all to that. You did the same with my last post. Ignored the majority of it and pulled out the bit that suited you.

I haven't mentioned Irishness. I didn't bring patriotism into this. I have only used the term blueshirt once, maybe twice, to highlight how barstool and blueshirt contribute nothing to debates on the future of the nation. When have I mentioned cross border policies? If I have it was ages ago on a very particualr policy area like food I think.

If you want to disagree fine and have a discussion or even argument fine but this "let's play along with Stacky and Farukh" type bull is a waste of time.

If I won the euromillions in the morning I'd start a new party.

Yea I know, I'm rattled.
Old 28-02-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Alright enough. That is complete and utter bull. I genuinely thought you were more than a reactionary here. Have you actually read what I post or do you have a fixed impression of me now and that's it?

That we disagree is fine, everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it but just because you and I disagree on one particular thing don't make everything about it or return it all to that. You did the same with my last post. Ignored the majority of it and pulled out the bit that suited you.

I haven't mentioned Irishness. I didn't bring patriotism into this. I have only used the term blueshirt once, maybe twice, to highlight how barstool and blueshirt contribute nothing to debates on the future of the nation. When have I mentioned cross border policies? If I have it was ages ago on a very particualr policy area like food I think.

If you want to disagree fine and have a discussion or even argument fine but this "let's play along with Stacky and Farukh" type bull is a waste of time.

If I won the euromillions in the morning I'd start a new party.

Yea I know, I'm rattled.
What would your policies be ?

(I'll just ignore the rest , by your own admission you are a bit rattled)
Old 28-02-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
1. Dismantling the constitution for no other reason than because they can. Case in point - the failed referendum on powers for the Oireachtas. 10 more referenda on the way - why?

2. Dismantling the Seanad for no other reason than because they can. We need a second chamber which, I'll happily admit, needs reform but does NOT need to be dismantled.

3. Attacking the Irish language - for no reason at all. The Taoiseach is a gaeilgóir and he was still doing it until his partners in office told him to get off the stage.

4. The ideologically based changes to the education system. Quinn is trying to go all China on it. The curricula need to be changed to make them more relevant and purpose built but the rest of it?
1. Dismantling the constitution? Is it unpatriotic to seek a change in the constitution? No. The nation and the constitution are not synonymous.
Are you saying the constitution is perfect as is? FG promised some elements of constitutional change in the election - they got a mandate. Finally, no government can dismantle a constitution - only the people can do that.

2. FG proposed in their manifesto to abolish the seanad and reduce the number of TDs. Personally I don't think its that important, but I can tell you that is not how Sean and Maire Soap felt about it on the doorsteps. They know that we are way way over represented in the Oireachtas by the standards of any other western democracy and were demanding change - they mandated the government to deliver that change.

3. If I felt the Irish language was under attack, I would be the first to oppose Quinn's attempt to remove its compulsory status. I have made that clear here before. But the reality is that the Irish language was driven almost to extinction by those who profess to cherish it the most. The majority of adults leaving secondary school cannot string a sentence together after 14 years of learning it. The self-appointed custodians of the language are elitists and extremists who have a huge case to answer here. Learning a language is NOT difficult. Complete idiots become fluent in foreign languages every day all over the world. It is not unpatriotic of the Minister for Education to try a different, less coercive approach to the one that has ninety years of failure behind it.

4. By ideological based changes do you mean secularisation? If you don't then what do you mean? If you do refer to secularisation, then how is secularisation unpatriotic?

PROC- CORK HURLERS 20000.
Old 28-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strict66 View Post
What would your policies be ?

(I'll just ignore the rest , by your own admission you are a bit rattled)
Not going to be able to type a complete policy platform here largely because as soon as I do, someone will say what would your view be on x or y or z etc..........also there are probably specifics I wouldn't have an answer on.

I did outline my politics in an epic a good while back.

For what it's worth, I apologise for losing it. But that barstooler stuff really gets on my nerves. It's too easy to go tarring with that brush without too much rational and reasoned debate, which to be fair you are normally up for.
Old 28-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelicecreamman View Post
1. Dismantling the constitution? Is it unpatriotic to seek a change in the constitution? No. The nation and the constitution are not synonymous.
Are you saying the constitution is perfect as is? FG promised some elements of constitutional change in the election - they got a mandate. Finally, no government can dismantle a constitution - only the people can do that.

2. FG proposed in their manifesto to abolish the seanad and reduce the number of TDs. Personally I don't think its that important, but I can tell you that is not how Sean and Maire Soap felt about it on the doorsteps. They know that we are way way over represented in the Oireachtas by the standards of any other western democracy and were demanding change - they mandated the government to deliver that change.

3. If I felt the Irish language was under attack, I would be the first to oppose Quinn's attempt to remove its compulsory status. I have made that clear here before. But the reality is that the Irish language was driven almost to extinction by those who profess to cherish it the most. The majority of adults leaving secondary school cannot string a sentence together after 14 years of learning it. The self-appointed custodians of the language are elitists and extremists who have a huge case to answer here. Learning a language is NOT difficult. Complete idiots become fluent in foreign languages every day all over the world. It is not unpatriotic of the Minister for Education to try a different, less coercive approach to the one that has ninety years of failure behind it.

4. By ideological based changes do you mean secularisation? If you don't then what do you mean? If you do refer to secularisation, then how is secularisation unpatriotic?
My answer to this got swallowed. Twill have to wait til I get home
Old 28-02-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Not going to be able to type a complete policy platform here largely because as soon as I do, someone will say what would your view be on x or y or z etc..........also there are probably specifics I wouldn't have an answer on.

I did outline my politics in an epic a good while back.

For what it's worth, I apologise for losing it. But that barstooler stuff really gets on my nerves. It's too easy to go tarring with that brush without too much rational and reasoned debate, which to be fair you are normally up for.
Say on for example what would your ideas be for creating employment?

No apology required C32 , I took no offense from anything you said, and nor did I intend any offense in anything I said. This is a debate about politics none of it is personal.