tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Official UFC thread - Page 8 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 21-04-2008, 08:46 AM

yea id like to see that fight, bisping is only getting better in the clinch and his knees are lookin way more dangerous too!
at the same time, i still cant see him beating silva. or even franklin for that matter.
Old 21-04-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertrixy View Post
yea id like to see that fight, bisping is only getting better in the clinch and his knees are lookin way more dangerous too!
at the same time, i still cant see him beating silva. or even franklin for that matter.
We'll see......I think he has the stand up game to take Franklin......he's a very strong striker and his strength advantage showed up now that he's at his natural weight as opposed to fighting guys bigger than him..........maybe not Silva yet, but given another 2/3 fights I reckon he has as good if not a better chance than anybody else in the division at the moment!
Old 21-04-2008, 08:51 AM

True, and him dropping divisions was a great move. He looked comfortable last night and his size and strength spoke for itself. Hopefully somebody will give silva a run for his belt anyway
Old 21-04-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
True, and him dropping divisions was a great move. He looked comfortable last night and his size and strength spoke for itself. Hopefully somebody will give silva a run for his belt anyway

Definitely.......he was a strong hard hitter at light heavyweight, so that's only going to work to his advantage now....even moreso considering he didn't have to drain himself to make weight..........we all saw the effect that doing that had on travis lutter......I've experienced it myself........fuckin g horrific, every ounce of energy just disappears from your body and you have nothing left!
Old 21-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
UFC 83....
some very enjoyable fights but all in all, a night where shit talkers and pussy's really embaressed themselves.
That other benny kalib starnes should never be given a fight again, Felt bad for Quarry cos if he could have just caught up with 'running man' he would have knocked him into next week.....quarry definitely needs to be watched for a title shot imo!
Starnes goes down as the first man ever to lose a fight 30-24 and then after the fight had the cheek to get pissed off at quarry for mocking him and asking his corner why they werent in the ring fighting.....someone needs to remind him neither was he.

Bisping thank god made shit of that other gimp mccarthy, making faces and taunting is bad form especially considering that was about all he brought to the fight, all the same he got his fore arm smashed for it...awful gimp that fella.

Felt bad for Serra but he was never gonna be GSP, those knees that ended the fight were viscous altogether! Pretty predicatable fight but at least Serra never gave up.

Delighted too to see Franklin get the win, great fighter and all around nice guy, not the biggest fan of Travis Lutter, yet another loud mouth who thinks he's better than he is, good ground game alright but had a perfect arm bar and franklin got out of it and took him to pieces standing up. Silva has that division in his pocket tho for the forseeable future!

Good night of fighting ruined by a couple of people who were more interested in running away and talking trash than fighting.
The script writers had their work cut out for them last night. Still some good choreography on display.
Old 21-04-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMonday83 View Post
The script writers had their work cut out for them last night. Still some good choreography on display.
Your own scriptwriters still on strike or something, this is the same line from the last 4/5 events!!!!!
Old 21-04-2008, 11:10 AM

zing!

yea cutting weight for these fights can never be easy, watching athletes while their doing it is worrying, it cant be the healthiest but i guess its all part of it.
Bisping looks right in his new weight class, he said it himself that he just preffered fighting bigger guys...which ya have to respect.
I think if somebody like bisping did defeat Silva it would be great for the division and would open it up alot more.
Franklin is currently one of the most eligible for a shot at the title, but he cant really get one considering his past with Silva.
Old 23-04-2008, 01:02 PM

Kalib Starnes had his contract cancelled by UFC. good riddance, plenty of rumours circulating about it all but truth seems to be that he's just a tool.
Enjoy unemployment
Old 02-06-2008, 01:37 PM

Not UFC I know but this is the most active MMA thread and was starting to slip........

Anyway, in EliteXC Kimbo Slice beat James Thompson in the main event of the first ever mixed martial arts event shown on prime time network television in the US. In my opinion, quality wise it was an average standard fight but absolutely brilliant to watch! Kimbo's win by stoppage was controversial as Thompson was ahead on the cards. In the 3rd though Kimbo rocked him with about 4 massive punches and the ref stepped in. Again IMO, it was probably a little bit early but Kimbo was starting to tee off on him and when they were that tired you'd wonder if Thompson could have suffered serious damage had it not been stopped. A fighter badly hurt on MMA's network debut would really hurt the sport. Then again, Kimbo not winning would have killed EliteXC (not that it's anything on UFC right now but still). Btw, if you watch the end of the fight Kimbo looks absolutely exhausted! Not surprising considering he had never been more than a minute or so but he looked really wrecked. in the interview afterwards it almost looked like he had a "is this stuff really for me" look on his face? Thompson would be a decent to good UFC HW and showed great heart but looked to be about the same level Kimbo was at. Now obviously Kimbo can improve (he was forced to show glimpses of a developing ground game throughout the fight) but for him to step in with a top UFC guy right now (especially a submissions expert) would be suicide!!! Just look at what happened to Brock Lesnar when he went in with one of the very best too soon. Finally, congrats to EliteXC for picking an opponent who was a good match for Kimbo at this stage. Thompson has been in and has beaten some of the very best. A tough customer who just like Kimbo seems to be a brawler. Granite chin on him too! I'll try post some links in a minute.

-AmadeusDC-
Old 03-06-2008, 04:43 PM

poor old franklin.
paper champion, always was.