tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Favourite beer cans on a night in? - Page 8 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 20-05-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
For someone who knows their wine HonkY I would have given you credit for not falling into this particular trap.

It's basic economics, namely snob value. A higher priced product that has a low practical value.

Buying a Vietnamese import beer may incur a slight cost but there is no essential difference between that and the 6 Lomzas for a tenner in the offie.

It's marketing and anyone telling you otherwise is talking shite about a low end product.
but I'm not talking about Vietnamese beers and what happens their value as they get to Ireland - All I'm saying is that like everything else in life there are higher quality and lower quality versions of the same thing, and ones you like more than others - surely you are not saying that all beer is the same? I like wiessbiers and those 2 in particular so I buy them when I see them, they also tend to cost a bit more but I don't care as I don't drink that much of them.

If someone wants to find me really good weissbier that is cheaper than those 2 then thats grand too - One of Lidl or Aldi do Franziskaner which is also lovely beer, although mad bubbly, the other does Shofferhoffer or something like that and its not great beer
Old 20-05-2020, 12:03 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
but I'm not talking about Vietnamese beers and what happens their value as they get to Ireland - All I'm saying is that like everything else in life there are higher quality and lower quality versions of the same thing, and ones you like more than others - surely you are not saying that all beer is the same? I like wiessbiers and those 2 in particular so I buy them when I see them, they also tend to cost a bit more but I don't care as I don't drink that much of them.

If someone wants to find me really good weissbier that is cheaper than those 2 then thats grand too - One of Lidl or Aldi do Franziskaner which is also lovely beer, although mad bubbly, the other does Shofferhoffer or something like that and its not great beer
You're talking about taste.

Czech and German beers are nice but snobbishness toward dutch and danish beers is just ridiculous.

Beer is a cheap product that is mass produced.
For people to be buying into this microbrewery crap is just that.

The Kinsale pale ale or Dungarvan blonde in the shinier labelling that is a fiver a bottle is no better than the bottle of Budvar or Spaten that is half that.

Equally so I certainly don't think I'm deriving any greater satisfaction from an overpriced can of Blarney Blonde 330ml than I would from a 500ml can of Carlsberg.

As I've said, it's like someone saying they are getting better quality & supporting their local market by drinking a pint of unpasteurised milk from the cow down the road as opposed to a litre carton of CMP. It's nonsensical.
Old 20-05-2020, 12:06 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:

As I've said, it's like someone saying they are getting netter quality & supporting their local market by drinking a pint of unpasteurised milk from the cow down the road as opposed to a litre carton of CMP. It's nonsensical.
what about bread? would you destroy someone for going to their local baker instead of just picking up some brennans?
Old 20-05-2020, 12:10 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of the BONGO View Post
what about bread? would you destroy someone for going to their local baker instead of just picking up some brennans?
Again you are talking about taste.

Would you start getting all smug because you have a Harringtons crusty roll as opposed to a pat the baker half pan?

You would in your hole.
Same goes for beer.
Old 20-05-2020, 12:15 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Again you are talking about taste.

Would you start getting all smug because you have a Harringtons crusty roll as opposed to a pat the baker half pan?

You would in your hole.
Same goes for beer.

/End thread.
Old 20-05-2020, 02:42 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
ALTHOUGH Dublin man Cian Harkin claims to be somewhat of a connoisseur when it comes to craft beer, friends have noticed that after 8 bottles or more, he begins to ease up on discussions about malt, hops, barley, and subtle notes of citrus and oak.

Harkin, 28, usually spends his nights out talking about his current favourite IPA or craft stout, and will only meet his pals in bars that have a good selection of microbrewed ales and lagers.

Criticising his friends for drinking name-brand beers, which he describes as “swill”, Harkin can be heard to voice his opinions on the full-bodied flavour of his preferred red ale, or the malty treacleness of a good dark porter.

Friends have noted that this usually lasts until Harkin’s seventh bottle of strong beer, at which point he becomes more interested in drinking anything as long as it has alcohol in it, with topics such as where he can get chips and ‘the hoop on that girl over there’ also entering the conversation.

“Up till 11 o’clock, all he talks about is craft beer,” said Paul O’Hanlon, who just about tolerates Harkin at best.

“Once you get by 11, he stops sniffing his beer before he drinks it, he stops swirling it around in his mouth before swallowing it. And he sure as fuck stops rattling on about how it tastes like freshly cut grass or smushed blackcurrants or Rancheros or some shit like that. And he certainly gets less fussy about what he drinks: I’ve been out with him at nine o’clock and we’ve walked to five different pubs to find a stout he likes. After 12, I’ve seen him drink a bottle of Smirnoff Ice with a fag butt in it”.

Harkin was unavailable for comment this morning, as he was bringing up a sumptuous, malty, full-bodied stream of vomit into his toilet.
Old 20-05-2020, 02:46 PM
Senior PROC Member

Old 20-05-2020, 02:47 PM

Apparently beer originated because it was safer to drink than water during medieval times
Old 20-05-2020, 02:51 PM

It's morally wrong to let a sucker hold on to his or her money:

https://www.hospitalityireland.com/d...ays-fsai-35232
Old 20-05-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
You're talking about taste.

Czech and German beers are nice but snobbishness toward dutch and danish beers is just ridiculous.

The Kinsale pale ale or Dungarvan blonde in the shinier labelling that is a fiver a bottle is no better than the bottle of Budvar or Spaten that is half that.

Equally so I certainly don't think I'm deriving any greater satisfaction from an overpriced can of Blarney Blonde 330ml than I would from a 500ml can of Carlsberg.

As I've said, it's like someone saying they are getting better quality & supporting their local market by drinking a pint of unpasteurised milk from the cow down the road as opposed to a litre carton of CMP. It's nonsensical.
Spaten, from one of the real bastions of true beer, tradition, culture, years of perfection for 2.20e for an ipa from a marketing grad from back of dinos chipper in Kinsale for twice the amount.
Bet you they instagram the beer as well when they buy them.
#status
The mind boggles.