tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Best 15 from each top county you saw hurl - Page 5 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 16-05-2020, 10:51 AM
Senior PROC Member

My Wexford Team

1 Damien Fitzhenry
2 Sean Flood
3 Ger Cush
4 Colm Kehoe
5 Rod Guiney
6 Liam Dunne
7 Larry O Gorman
8 George O Connor
9 Adrian Fenlon
10 Lee Chin
11 Martin Storey
12 Larry Murphy
13 Michael Jacob
14 Rory O Connor
15 Tom Dempsey
Old 16-05-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red&blue View Post
John Troy was magic on the ball, for anyone too young to remember him he he had wrists as good as Hoggy, fabulous to watch

Offalys demise is very sad, they had 2 decades in the 80s and 90s where they won 5 all-Ireland’s, now they don’t even compete for the all-ireland. I have a small insight into things up there and it seems to me there’s a few issues

The divide between hurling and football is somewhere between indifferent and poisonous, hopefully Duignan taking on the role of chairman will sort that out

Their Underage system has completely collapsed, they probably rested on their laurels in the 90s thinking these days would last forever, sadly they didn’t, again Duignan might drive foward a plan to rectify that

Their playing base is quite small in comparison to say Cork or Tipperary so they wouldn’t have the ready made talent available to keep supplementing their team, eventually the team of the 90s retired and left a huge void

I think it’s wrong to suggest the players of the 90s don’t do enough to help, maybe their relationship with the board might have held some back, maybe some just didn’t want to get involved but I’m sure plenty of them are doing their bit, I can remember Joe Dooley, Kevin Martin and Brian Whelehan were all managing their senior team over the last decade or so, it’s just not all knitted together by an overall plan from the bottom up which will hopefully change

Croke Park have neglected the needs of counties like Offaly, just like Dublin were they should be bombarded by money and expertise, sadly it’s not going to happen because counties like Offaly don’t fill Croke Park every time they play
I always had a grá for Offaly growing up. They played some fabulous hurling and were always a fan favourite for the neutral hurling supporter. The 5 minute final in 94 v Limerick was sweet.

Since the year 2000, we have seen the demise of Offaly hurling, which has been saddening for most hurling fans.

From talking to a friend of mine from Offaly, he said the election of Michael Duignan as Chairperson was a very welcome move. Hopefully the end of the old regime. The staleness at board level was the main issue really. He said there was no one at board level willing to take the bull by the horns and make drastic changes to the structures. He hopes Duignan is the right man for the job in moving Offaly football and hurling forward.

The only progress the Offaly County Board had actually made in the last 10 years was the building of a centre of excellence in Kilcormac called "The Faithful Fields". So Duignan might be coming in at a good time with a training centre already in place.

Underage teams have been shocking in Offaly over the last 20 years so the development squads may have to be restructured.

Offaly last contested a Leinster Minor Hurling Final in 2003, last winning one in 2000, twenty years ago.

Offaly last won a Leinster Under 21 hurling title in 2000. They did contest a Leinster Final in 2016 but got beaten by 8 points to Dublin.

Birr Community School / Birr Presentation College were a huge part of Offaly's underage success which led to their senior success in the 80s and 90s. Between 1975 and 1989, Birr Schools contested 11 Leinster Senior Colleges Finals, winning on 4 occasions. They lost 1 Croke Cup Final in 1979 but winning one in 1986. They haven't featured at all since 1989. Duignan should be looking at recreating a proper hurling nursery in Birr once again.

North Offaly is predominantly a football area and Duignan would have a job in trying to promote hurling in this area with the aforementioned football vrs hurling politics but suggesting a North Offaly divisional team to enter the A County Hurling Championships at Underage, similar to the Duhallow model in Cork, would be a welcome move. At schools level you could focus on three nurseries - Birr Community College, Tullamore Colleges and potentially a North Offaly colleges team.

The club scene in Offaly would be relatively strong too but clubs like Coolderry and Kilcormac having recent successes at Leinster club level. Birr are another sleeping giant of a club.

A long road for Offaly but there is a way back for them.
Old 16-05-2020, 12:28 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Cork Star View Post
I always had a grá for Offaly growing up. They played some fabulous hurling and were always a fan favourite for the neutral hurling supporter. The 5 minute final in 94 v Limerick was sweet.

Since the year 2000, we have seen the demise of Offaly hurling, which has been saddening for most hurling fans.

From talking to a friend of mine from Offaly, he said the election of Michael Duignan as Chairperson was a very welcome move. Hopefully the end of the old regime. The staleness at board level was the main issue really. He said there was no one at board level willing to take the bull by the horns and make drastic changes to the structures. He hopes Duignan is the right man for the job in moving Offaly football and hurling forward.

The only progress the Offaly County Board had actually made in the last 10 years was the building of a centre of excellence in Kilcormac called "The Faithful Fields". So Duignan might be coming in at a good time with a training centre already in place.

Underage teams have been shocking in Offaly over the last 20 years so the development squads may have to be restructured.

Offaly last contested a Leinster Minor Hurling Final in 2003, last winning one in 2000, twenty years ago.

Offaly last won a Leinster Under 21 hurling title in 2000. They did contest a Leinster Final in 2016 but got beaten by 8 points to Dublin.

Birr Community School / Birr Presentation College were a huge part of Offaly's underage success which led to their senior success in the 80s and 90s. Between 1975 and 1989, Birr Schools contested 11 Leinster Senior Colleges Finals, winning on 4 occasions. They lost 1 Croke Cup Final in 1979 but winning one in 1986. They haven't featured at all since 1989. Duignan should be looking at recreating a proper hurling nursery in Birr once again.

North Offaly is predominantly a football area and Duignan would have a job in trying to promote hurling in this area with the aforementioned football vrs hurling politics but suggesting a North Offaly divisional team to enter the A County Hurling Championships at Underage, similar to the Duhallow model in Cork, would be a welcome move. At schools level you could focus on three nurseries - Birr Community College, Tullamore Colleges and potentially a North Offaly colleges team.

The club scene in Offaly would be relatively strong too but clubs like Coolderry and Kilcormac having recent successes at Leinster club level. Birr are another sleeping giant of a club.

Great post and bang on the button
Old 16-05-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Cork Star View Post

Indeed, good post. And the bit mentioned earlier by someone else about Offaly struggling to fill Croke park, that kind of thinking should be redundant now due to round robin series. It’s about filling tullamore now, not croker.
Old 16-05-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesball View Post
My Kilkenny Team
E Murphy
M Kavanagh
B Cody
D O Hara (Grizzly Adams)
T Walsh
P Henderson
JJ Delaney
F Cummins (Man Mountain)
C Fitzpatrick
B Fitzpatrick
J Power (we would love someone like him now)
TJ Reid
E Brennan
H Shefflin
K Fennelly

🤔
No Fan Larkin or Eddie Keher?
Old 16-05-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red&blue View Post
My Wexford Team

1 Damien Fitzhenry
2 Sean Flood
3 Ger Cush
4 Colm Kehoe
5 Rod Guiney
6 Liam Dunne
7 Larry O Gorman
8 George O Connor
9 Adrian Fenlon
10 Lee Chin
11 Martin Storey
12 Larry Murphy
13 Michael Jacob
14 Rory O Connor
15 Tom Dempsey
1 Damien Fitzhenry

2 Liam Ryan 3 Darragh Ryan 4 Colm Kehoe

5 Liam Dunne 6 Mick Jacob 7 Larry O Gorman

8 George O Connor 9 Adrian Fenlon

10 Lee Chin 11 Martin Storey 12 Martin Quigley

13 Billy Byrne 14 Tony Doran 15 Rory O Connor
Old 16-05-2020, 04:34 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackpoolTerrier View Post
1 Damien Fitzhenry

2 Liam Ryan 3 Darragh Ryan 4 Colm Kehoe

5 Liam Dunne 6 Mick Jacob 7 Larry O Gorman

8 George O Connor 9 Adrian Fenlon

10 Lee Chin 11 Martin Storey 12 Martin Quigley

13 Billy Byrne 14 Tony Doran 15 Rory O Connor
Jeez I forgot about Billy Byrne and Darragh Ryan, 2 great servants to Wexford. I didn’t consider Tony Doran, Martin Quigley or Mick Jacob snr as I’m personally picking from the 1980s on, they would be automatics on any Wexford team if the 70s were included
Old 16-05-2020, 08:03 PM

Tony Doran - 40 goals in 40 championship matches - speaks for itself. Mick Jacob nearly beat Cork on his own in the ‘76 final only for the famous Ringy-inspired JBM switch during the last quarter.

Darragh Ryan is a strange one - apparently hurled junior for years and was very late coming to the senior game. Cleaned all around him from then on. Wiped the floor with Declan Ryan in the 2001 semi.
Old 16-05-2020, 10:34 PM

F Larkin or M kavanagh ,i went for MK as with 8 all ireland medals and imho is one of the unsong heros of kilkerry hurling
I did not pick N Skehan as he introduced the saucepan to hurling.
Old 17-05-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesball View Post
F Larkin or M kavanagh ,i went for MK as with 8 all ireland medals and imho is one of the unsong heros of kilkerry hurling
I did not pick N Skehan as he introduced the saucepan to hurling.
2009 final on tg4 , straight after the penalty cavanagh stretched every muscle to keep a ball in play it led to Martin comerford goal,