tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Training Run Times - Page 1515 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 23-05-2020, 07:56 PM
PROC Member

I do a small bit of running myself but not in any races but I must say I do enjoy reading this thread , ye all seem helpful...

I have a question
For the more serious runner do ye pay a lot of attention to your race weight? A neighbour of mine is In to running, hes aiming for 10mile p.b. , I cant remember his times but hes mid field finisher , he reckons if he loses 4lbs his average per mile would decrease by 12 sec, would this seem right ? He read it in some magazine but isnt sure if it's only a very rough formula, would 1lb weight lose equal 3 sec per mile increase? Hes not overweight but not lean either...
Old 23-05-2020, 10:05 PM

Well lads pushed myself tonight,. First. 7.5 miles. @ 10.25 pace loved it
Hit the wall big-time at 8. Miles. Ended up. Jogging. 30 seconds walking
10 seconds last. 2 miles, last 2 miles. 11.15 pace,. My lungs were fine but top of calf's and behind knees were. Screaming,. Il rest until Thursday and go back to 8 miles for a few
Weeks,
Old 23-05-2020, 10:29 PM

Hey Holey Moley. Race weight can be a consideration alright but a decent level of training would take care of that unless your diet was really poor. When a person is running at a decent level for a few years, you find your level in terms of a healthy race weight. Lighter is faster, but particularly for long distance you really need to be careful not to go below that "healthy" weight as it can leave you prone to injury and illness.
I know my healthy racing weight now and I give it little thought, once I train and eat properly i know exactly what weight i will be come race day.
In terms of your friend, for a mid-pack runner I would suggest that to gain 12 secs a mile he would need to lose closer to 4kg than 4lbs.
There is no easier way to get faster than simple consistent training. Pounds/Kg's will be shed as a by-product.
He should also consider doing some light weights so that he maintains some muscle.
Old 23-05-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
10 seconds last. 2 miles, last 2 miles. 11.15 pace,. My lungs were fine but top of calf's and behind knees were. Screaming,. Il rest until Thursday and go back to 8 miles for a few
Weeks,
Good stuff Jimmy. 10 miles is a big milestone. Legs were always going to be talking to you beyond 8 but they will make the adaptation over the next while and the same distance will get a little easier with each passing month.
Old 23-05-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
Good stuff Jimmy. 10 miles is a big milestone. Legs were always going to be talking to you beyond 8 but they will make the adaptation over the next while and the same distance will get a little easier with each passing month.
I was a bit disheartened afterwards but realise it's a big step, as you say it will get easier
Old 23-05-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
Weeks,
Well done Jimmy, that’s great going. Isn’t it funny the way you can be feeling good and all of a sudden your body deserts you? That’s great running though,,you’re only that final section from pulling a big milestone off 👍

Was a quick 5km that felt like 10km for me first thing this morning for a charity thing. A bottle of wine down the hatch last night didn’t prove to be the ultimate pre-hydration for some reason!
Old 23-05-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
Well done Jimmy, that’s great going. Isn’t it funny the way you can be feeling good and all of a sudden your body deserts you? That’s great running though,,you’re only that final section from pulling a big milestone off 👍

Was a quick 5km that felt like 10km for me first thing this morning for a charity thing. A bottle of wine down the hatch last night didn’t prove to be the ultimate pre-hydration for some reason!
My best section tonight was from 2nd mile to 7th mile felt great lovely rhythm then wallop at 8 miles my legs were screaming, I'm not pushed about times my target now is to.get to 10 miles comfortably by mid June, going by your progress you will do it easily
Old 24-05-2020, 10:34 AM
PROC Member

Quote:
Hey Holey Moley. Race weight can be a consideration alright but a decent level of training would take care of that unless your diet was really poor. When a person is running at a decent level for a few years, you find your level in terms of a healthy race weight. Lighter is faster, but particularly for long distance you really need to be careful not to go below that "healthy" weight as it can leave you prone to injury and illness.
I know my healthy racing weight now and I give it little thought, once I train and eat properly i know exactly what weight i will be come race day.
In terms of your friend, for a mid-pack runner I would suggest that to gain 12 secs a mile he would need to lose closer to 4kg than 4lbs.
There is no easier way to get faster than simple consistent training. Pounds/Kg's will be shed as a by-product.
He should also consider doing some light weights so that he maintains some muscle.
Thanks for the info papa smurf
Old 24-05-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Yep, agree 100% - focus on the training and the weight will take care of itself. If your mate is chasing a particular time then he should be practicing intervals at that pace in training. If it’s a long distance pace he’s going for then longer intervals at that pace. With recovery runs, long runs etc added into the mix he’ll hit whatever weight he needs..

One thing I really noticed as my performances improved over the years was how skinny and fit lads look as you move up the field. Those lads are focused totally on pace - not on weight. Any of the speedier lads on here - especially the marathoners- have got skinnier and lighter over the years I’ve known them.
Old 24-05-2020, 06:22 PM

On Wednesday decided to do 3 1km runs, fasted I did was 4.02, slowest was the last at 4.20 so was slowing down dramatically even with big breaks in between.

Went for a 5km run this evening and did it in 22 mins. Bit annoying as Strava telling me I did 5.04kms and https://onthegomap.com/#/create telling me I did 5.12kms.

My splits were faster as I went on with the first being 4.29 and the last 4.13 but I do always put in a sprint finish!

Anyone ever used the following training courses??

https://www.runningfastr.com/5k-trai...training-plan/