tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
What are you reading now? - Page 21 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Arts & Culture
User Name
Password

Old 27-01-2008, 01:47 AM

Jack's world: FARMING ON THE SHEEPS HEAD PENINSULA, 1920-2003

Jack Sheehan was one of eleven children born into an impoverished farming family on the Sheeps Head peninsula in southwest Ireland. Growing up in hungry times, he stayed on the farm all his eighty-three years, taking it over when his father died and steadfastly caring for its fields through the dormant 1950s and the better times that came in the decades that followed.
Old 27-01-2008, 08:32 AM

Stendhal, the red and the black - lots of words.
Old 27-01-2008, 03:53 PM

I'm currently reading a Nora Roberts book. It's a sort of detective story set in a futuristic New York city. It is deeply crap. I'd heard Roberts wrote a good page turner, but this is not one. I read about half of it last night out of sheer lack of anything else to do. I don't think I'll bother to finish it.

She has a few really annoying literary mannerisms. She tends to sort of list actions in separate short sentences, even when there is no reason to do so. Like she'll write, "She got up. Walked to the table. Grabbed her purse." This is just transitional now like, there's no tension needed or anything. So what the fuck is wrong with "She got up, walked to the table and grabbed her purse." This kind of thing is annoying. Makes it difficult to read. Speaks of an author who needs a tougher editor.

Also, maybe this is personal prejudice, but I think the setting of a story should either contribute something, however small or peripheral, to the story or else it should be fairly neutral and low key. This novel does just enough to keep reminding you that we're in The Future here, but it does nothing to justify that choice of setting. All we get are some unfamiliar words and a few Star Trek touches that serve, as far as I can discern, no purpose. A fellow cop tells lead character Eve Dallas (no shit, that's her name!) to put something in his "personal friggie". What the fuck? As far as I can tell, this just seems to mean the small fridge in his room. So why not just say this?

Finally, and this is obviously the biggest problem for me, the book is a bit, well, sexist. Dallas is a lieutenant, so her colleagues all address her as "Sir". I guess this is supposed to be an egalitarian touch: In The Future, women are just as respected as men! But we can be as respected as men now, to a certain extent. We can, if we try hard enough, be let into the "one of the lads" club in some situations. The point is to be both a woman and respected. To be both a ma'am and a lieutenant.

Possible Spoiler Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungle View Post
... Atonement by Ian McEwan ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungle View Post
What's funny is that my criticism of him here almost exactly mirrors the rejection letter that Briony got for her own work. True, I didn't bring in stuff about psycholgical theories or go into pages while doing it, but the bones of it are the same. It's almost as though he is anticipating criticism of his own novel.
I read that as deliberate. She's a flawed writer, but she gets better. Did you notice how the last part is not remotely as cloying or self-indulgently written?

In any case, for me, this wasn't enough to excuse what is effectively a badly-written novel. The only thing that kept me going through the annoying writing was the plot, and the resolution was only so-so.
Old 28-01-2008, 11:08 PM

The Power and the Glory: Inside the Dark Heart of Pope John Paul II's Vatican

By David Yallop
Old 29-01-2008, 02:48 AM
Boys Oh Boys Forum Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. Turncoat View Post
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
By Jonathan Safran Foer

class, much better than his first one.
Preferred Illuminated,

Close up was good but too heavy on the postmodern gimmicks for my liking.
Old 29-01-2008, 03:27 PM

Demetrio Paparoni - Eretica, the trascendent and the profane in contemporary art.
picked it up in vibes, features the work of some of my favorite artists- jenny saville, ron mueck. interesting read.
Old 15-02-2008, 06:03 PM

Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen

... again
Old 13-03-2008, 04:11 AM

just finished..The Road by Cormac McCarthy

really enjoyed it...quick read though, had it read in a night