Worst Forum Ever! - Page 2 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Arts & Culture
User Name
Password

Old 05-10-2005, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtheory
Some people...
you know mad theory i am really tempted to get even more sucked into this than i already am but i just can't be bothered as its clear that no matter how many concerts are pointed out to him (not that concerts are the only yard stick of cultural activity anyway) he has his mind made up and it will never change. It's just so ignorant, it makes me really frustrated and it's so typical - don't bother going to anything, don't bother even finding out what's going on but sit back and trash it anyway coz that's just so cool and hard....blah blah....
Old 05-10-2005, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Beauregarde
It's just so ignorant, it makes me really frustrated and it's so typical - don't bother going to anything, don't bother even finding out what's going on but sit back and trash it anyway coz that's just so cool and hard....blah blah....
Ya, it can be very annoying, I agree. Just get out there and do it, you're better off.

The good thing is that Cork is starting to fill up with doers rather than whiners- SS800, Lotus Lullaby, Corca Dorca etc etc etc.

So let's just let go of the whiners eh? Let them drag themselves down.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Beauregarde
Norrie City Boy, you are truly sad...

how can you just dismiss things without even seeing them? You have no idea what you're talking about but then again i guess that's obvious from your posts! And somehow i have doubts that you are contributing too much 'tax' to the coffers anyway!
you have it spot on, first his beloved president dwbla bush deported his sorry ass from his beloved America (probably because they don't support layabouts)and his and now he is back here spitting and bitching about Ireland and the "racist" Irish and the way we do everything over here. Now we are supposed support his lazy ass and to listen to his trip.
well i don't, just put the fucker on ignore and you wont see his posts, but looking at the replies he is getting from people he is still spouting the same ould shit.

Ill post this link for the little man, i know he reads everything i post.

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com...ad.php?t=50532
Old 06-10-2005, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
The problem for me is not that events are (not) taking place it's the lack of NEW and INNOVATIVE acts. The street theatre was especially brought over I understand but most of the events with 2005 tags on them were happening and have been happening for years.
I don't remember having so much street theatre of such a high calibre ever before... you've lost me there boi.

Quote:
But theses events are not on the Cork 2005 listings and have not come to Cork because of solicitations from the 2005 organisation and are not open to the public.
Is that not exactly what should happen? Spin offs, which benefit the city, and show the value of culture to pure business people? It proves to these people that culture on its own can actually improve business! Art and commerce feed off each other, that is how it should be. It's what made Paris Paris, and Venice Venice.

Quote:
Looking back on the opening ceremony I understand now why it was staged in the way t was. It was a made for TV production and the “audience” were corralled for the best TV pictures and not for the best vantage points to see the ceremony.
Actually, I thought it was crap on TV and in the flesh! Loads of things went wrong, they didn't spend enough money, and what the hell have fireworks got to do with Cork? But you can't have everything... I was hoping they'd get Jean Michel Jarre in!

Quote:
And remember the writing was on the wall when the first director of Cork 2005 flew into Cork Airport to take up his lucrative position and few out again (suddenly according to the Examiner) within hours, it took that fellow just a trip into the city to convince him he was better off out of it.
Wrong. That's a chinese whisper. He was in discussion with the city council for 2 weeks- he resigned because he felt (rightly) that the budget was too small.

Look, if even a born cynic like Cathal Coughlan can state that CoC has made a massive difference to Cork, and completely transformed it from the hick town he left in the eighties, then how can you be so critical? We're a small town, the smallest ever to be designated. To paraphrase Mr. C, we're pulling some serious heavyweight punches for a featherweight!

Last edited by madtheory; 07-10-2005 at 01:08 PM..
Old 07-10-2005, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtheory

Look, if even a born cynic like Cathal Coughlan can state that CoC has made a massive difference to Cork, and completely transformed in from the hick town he left in the eighties, then how can you be so critical?

Very good point

I always reckon the energy wasted moaning about these things could be better used doing something yourself anyway..............
Old 07-10-2005, 10:44 AM

agreed!
Old 07-10-2005, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEG
Very good point

I always reckon the energy wasted moaning about these things could be better used doing something yourself anyway..............
i couldn't agree more but it is just very annoying when people moan and grumble and they actually don't know what they are talking about as they haven't bothered going to anything!

As far as I'm concerned there have been lots of really cool things happening as a result of 2005, which wouldn't have happened otherwise and I'm talking about commisisoned things like the Cathal Coughlan event, and the Corcadorca summer of outdoor theatre and the music migrations series as well as umpteen amazing exhibitions i have seen throughout the year - the thing in the esb building etc

As for people who give out about the fact that 2005 are promoting events that would have happened anyway, isn't that exactly how it ought to be? Celebrating what we already do well - and all the festivals are funded by 2005 to do things this year that perhaps they couldn't do otherwise due to finances, it's not just a case of sticking the 2005 logo onto them. Can you imagine the ructions if 2005 neglected to include the jazz, the film, the choral etc festivals. It's the no-win criticisms that are so boring!

people, stop being so negative all the time, it's not cool and actaully getting out there and going to something has to be better than sitting at home in front of the telly or in the pub again!
Old 07-10-2005, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEG
Agreed 100%. It's good to see that most people are actually realistic and positive about it.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:13 PM

the point is that with all the attention being lavished on leeside this year it's a great oppotunity for bands, artists, djs etc.. to get noticed. the IMRO showcase had a&r at it this year for the first time, there have been fmc forums foir musicians, hotpress did a feature on cork bands... people should be taking advantage of the opportunity that is there.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miracleofsound
the point is that with all the attention being lavished on leeside this year it's a great oppotunity for bands, artists, djs etc.. to get noticed. the IMRO showcase had a&r at it this year for the first time, there have been fmc forums foir musicians, hotpress did a feature on cork bands... people should be taking advantage of the opportunity that is there.
exactly - as i see it cork 2005 can't be responsible for everything - it can only make a start by making a space for these things to happen and then its up to the individuals to make of it what they can / or will....but as ever some people would rather sit around complaining that nobody hand-delivered them a gold-plated invite to the ball.......