Thailand - Page 2 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Travel Forum
User Name
Password

Old 13-10-2006, 12:24 PM

The Pink pussycat...

Old 13-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Senior PROC Member

Is there a Monsoon over there at the moment?
Old 17-10-2006, 01:26 PM

Cheers for all the help lads, thinking about bookin the first night in a hotel near Khao San road, looks like a good spot, after a day or two then head down to the islands.
What is the best way to carry money over there, i mean is there a high pick pocket level and all that.

Allergic i dont know who im flying with, one of my buddies booked the flights. How long you been in japan, what you doing here?? Know any of the irish lads down there.
Old 17-10-2006, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanRebel
Allergic i dont know who im flying with, one of my buddies booked the flights. How long you been in japan, what you doing here?? Know any of the irish lads down there.
sure I'll pm ya
Old 17-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Senior PROC Member

Will be there in 2 weeks.
Is it still pissing from the heavens out there?
Old 17-10-2006, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Cheers for the replies.
Do ye think i should stay in Bangkok for xmas day or get out of there.
Was hoping to go to one of the islands for new years, where can i find out which island is holding a party etc.
Should i book accomadation now or can i easily find it when i get there?

Don't bother booking accomodation anywhere. Go to Koh Phagnan for New Year's Eve- just like the full moon party, only bigger! You won't be able to get accomodation in Hat Rin (where the party is) but this is no bad thing. Stay on the far side of the island (West coast) at Hat Salat (Salad) or Hat Yao (Yaou/Yow)- the beaches are much cleaner, and you get the sun right into the evening. The bungalows out that direction are dirt cheap, and it shouldn't take more than half an hour to get to Hat Rin by a chartered or shared Sawngthaew (pick-up truck taxi), or by bike (although you couldn't pay me to travel up and down the almost vertical hills on the road between Thong Sala and Hat Rin by motorcycle- you might feel braver though). The main beach is Hat Rin (Hat rin lek, sunrise beach) is beautiful but I wouldn't swim there. Not after seeing the amount of barf, piss, beer and god only knows what else ends up in there every night either side of the Full Moon (or New years). The other beach, Hat Rin Noi is very shallow, and, basically, pretty shite.

Don't think you'll feel very festive staying in Bangkok for Christmas day. No bad thing, as far as I'm concerned, but if you want to feel a bit more of the Christmas spirit head to one the more touristy resort areas, such as Koh Samui, or Phuket- plenty of Expats who'd be celebrating. If that's your bag...

As somebody mentioned- Pai in Mae Hong Son province, about three hours from Chiang Mai, is a bit special. Bring something along the lines of a light sweater or tracksuit top if you're heading that far north. It can get ever so slightly chilly at that altitude in the evening, although it still bakes by day. Chaing Mai itself is also a bit special (though I prefer Bangkok- I like big city adventures), and if you find yourself up there definitely try and go on a trek.

From a personal perspective, I can't rate Koh Samet (4 hours east of Bangkok, 2 1/2 hours from Pattaya) highly enough. It's a national park, you pay a fee for the upkeep upon landing, and the beaches, aside from being spotless, are the nicest I've ever seen. And, internet rates aside, it's very cheap.

Koh Tao is great for diving, great full stop in fact.

Don't visit any of the provinces on, or adjacent to, the Malaysian border. Islamic unrest.

Don't even dream of booking accomodation, tours, internal transport or anything like that before you arrive (unless, in the case of accomodation, you go direct) as you'll pay well over the odds. I wouldn't even bother with buying anti-malarials (which you won't need unless you visit the area around the Cambodian and Lao borders, and even then only if you intend on allowing youself to be bitten by a gazillion mozzies), insect repellant, sunscream or toiletries- pop into any major pharmacy (or the Boots on Khao San Road) once you arrive.

If you've any other questions, PM. I was there for a month in 2002 and 2005, and for the best part of a six month jaunt in the region in 2003/4.

Last edited by ho chi feen; 17-10-2006 at 08:23 PM..
Old 17-10-2006, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegillabbeygowl
Will be there in 2 weeks.
Is it still pissing from the heavens out there?
It's now entering the dry season, but the weather has been awful for much of the last week.

www.weather.co.uk

Even when it's rainy and stormy, even when it's rainy seaon, it's rare to have a day with nothing but raning. Usually it's downpours last 30 mins to 3 hrs, and of course it varies from place to place as there are many micro-climates.
Old 17-10-2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Cheers for all the help lads, thinking about bookin the first night in a hotel near Khao San road, looks like a good spot, after a day or two then head down to the islands.
What is the best way to carry money over there, i mean is there a high pick pocket level and all that.
Don;t worry about money or pickpockets as long as you're not stupid. Only carry what you need, and leave the bank card (or a credit card) in the hotel where practicable. This is only as a precaution- it's nowhere near as bad as Spain or Italy for pickpockets.

Plenty of good accomodation near Khao San. One place, although I'm not as mad about it as some, is D&D inn. I mean it's fine, it's not too expensive, and the rooms are grand, but it's not my cup of tea due to one past experience. It does, however, have a swimming pool complete with bar on the roof, which is fucking class. Around 550 baht for a single and 700 baht for a double last time I was there. Most of my mates swear by the gaff.
Old 18-10-2006, 11:35 AM

If I may I'll recommend somewhere on Ko Phan Ngan...

www.thansadet.com

It's called Mai Pen Rai bungalows. Run by a Thai guy, Teep, and his Scottish wife, Fiona. It's a secluded, quiet beach, clean and beautiful. Nice to stay somewhere pretty and not overrun with beer louts like Than Sadet. The restaurant serves the best food I've eaten in Asia. The bungalows are a tiny bit pricey (500B a night) but well worth it. Get the ones on the beach. I'd book ahead on the net if you know what dates you'll be there, no worries about using the credit card for them, honest people.

You need to get a jeep out there on a ridiculously shit road, but you can get a boat to the full moon/new years party, arrive in in style like...

And to top it all off the good man Teep sells weed and mushies behind the bar for a fair enough price. Good quality too.

What more could you want!
Old 20-10-2006, 04:09 AM

Cheers again lads, i got an idea of where i want to go now and i think that should be good enough, dont want too many plans.

Reef that spot looks fairly class alright, cheers for that.