tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
official ireland euro 2016 campaign thread - Page 477 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 11-07-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shez1987 View Post
I felt we were the better team for most of the game, and was disappointed with the result and two points dropped, but not the performance. As were most of the Irish fans. No biggie though, we can agree to disagree.
Of course we can agree to disagree, but let's be as objective as possible.

Being on top of possession at level scores with Sweden is good in itself, yes, but we're talking marginal gains here.

The old monster of game management while in the lead reared its head again, and it was the usual failure. The performance at 1-0 up wasn't particularly good.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:45 PM
Senior PROC Member

We didn't make an utter embarrassment of ourselves which, at the very least, was progress. Terrible result against Belgium but happy with a draw and a victory which was realistically about as much as we could expect. To go out by the smallest of margins to the eventual finalists is no bad result considering the players they, and we, have to choose from.

Good to have a bit of excitement back in the camp though. Can't win em all I suppose.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy O'Ranieri View Post
Really though?

I would say dominated possession up to the goal, and had a lot of speculative attempts at goal. Then, after the goal, which was a very well executed medium-good chance by Hoolahan, Sweden were on top in a similar way.

A draw was a fair result tbh. Being disappointed about it, and pleasantly surprised about Ireland actually knocking the ball around for once doesn't change that, and doesn't equate to outplaying the opponent.
The swedes couldn't even manage a shot on target. A 1-0 or 2-0 win to Ireland would have been the fair result.

I didn't even think Ireland were that good but still offered much more than the swedes.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayons O'Neil View Post
The swedes couldn't even manage a shot on target. A 1-0 or 2-0 win to Ireland would have been the fair result.

I didn't even think Ireland were that good but still offered much more than the swedes.
Definitely not 2-0. 1-1 was fair, maybe Ireland by a goal on a really good/lucky day.

Sweden still had one or two decent moments, similar to ourselves. Zlatan had a shot on the turn inside the box that flashed wide, which would have been a bigger chance than either of Hendrick's efforts from distance, one which went on target, the other hit the bar.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Of course we can agree to disagree, but let's be as objective as possible.

Being on top of possession at level scores with Sweden is good in itself, yes, but we're talking marginal gains here.

The old monster of game management while in the lead reared its head again, and it was the usual failure. The performance at 1-0 up wasn't particularly good.
Agreed. Game management (not spotting the influence of Martin Olsson) and the overall performance when the score was 1-0 was poor. Outside of those 24 minutes, I felt we were the better team and comfortably so in the first half.

I'll watch it again some night over the winter. It might offer a fresh perspective. I think Sweden were a bit under-rated by most. They would have qualified from most other groups imo.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shez1987 View Post
Agreed. Game management (not spotting the influence of Martin Olsson) and the overall performance when the score was 1-0 was poor. Outside of those 24 minutes, I felt we were the better team and comfortably so in the first half.

I'll watch it again some night over the winter. It might offer a fresh perspective. I think Sweden were a bit under-rated by most. They would have qualified from most other groups imo.
Just remember that Hendrick's efforts on goal, while excellent, were still speculative and unlikely to hit the net, nor the result of any real creative wizardry from Ireland. 😋
Old 11-07-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Just remember that Hendrick's efforts on goal, while excellent, were still speculative and unlikely to hit the net, nor the result of any real creative wizardry from Ireland. 😋
Feck that. Jeff Hendrick is the new Lothar Matthäus. Had we have got to the Final, I'm convinced one of those long range pile-drivers would have found the back of the net.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:22 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
It was much closer to hitting the net than Ibrahimovic's effort.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinky View Post
It was much closer to hitting the net than Ibrahimovic's effort.
That's not the point. Play those two scenarios over and over, Zlatan outscores Jazzy Jeff.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
That's not the point. Play those two scenarios over and over, Zlatan outscores Jazzy Jeff.
You don't get to play them over and over though. Play Sweden's goal over and over and maybe we don't turn it into our own net. Hendrick's shot didn't go in, neither did Zlatan's. They didn't look like scoring at all and their goal was scored by one of our own players.