Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 04-01-2018, 09:21 PM

The city centre licensed trade is fucked. The middle aged are sitting in at home the twenty somethings are the guys who five years ago had to listen to the “regulars only” horseshit from the door staff (imagine deliberately wiping out your market) and they’re all round each other’s houses “Pre drinking” and listening to Spotify playlists, the teens are bushing, so the empty city centre pubs are forlornly pleading to people to come in and watch sky sports while paying €5 a pint.

So the only people interested in having a few drinks are tourists, hence the whole Oliver Plunkett/Corner House/Gallaghers “begorrah bejaysis” promoting their “heritage” and selling the city centre as some kind of artisan paradise of distilleries, blacksmiths, tanneries, and creameries.

That’s what the tourists want and that’s what they’re being given: it’s about time Cork copped on to what Killarney, Galway, and Dublin have been doing for years.

So if the city centre pub of your youth is now some bastardised “oirish” heritage pub then that’s the way the cookie crumbles. Publicans aren’t going to wait until their business dries up completely before they are forced into penury just because some guy wants a social centre he can drop into for one or two pints two or three times a year.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:46 PM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drucker View Post
If a market is regulated by government then I believe it has certain responsibilities to its customers that other retailers do not necessarily have.
What responsibilities? Provide them with alcohol or a defined brand of alcohol?
Old 04-01-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicGrinder View Post
What responsibilities? Provide them with alcohol or a defined brand of alcohol?
Whatever you want champ!

I’m just not keen on government involvement in retailing.

Specially with all the “we know what’s best for you” nanny state horseshit.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:55 PM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Whatever you want champ!

I’m just not keen on government involvement in retailing.

Specially with all the “we know what’s best for you” nanny state horseshit.
So your point had f8ck all to do my post you quoted, fair enough so.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
The city centre licensed trade is fucked. The middle aged are sitting in at home the twenty somethings are the guys who five years ago had to listen to the “regulars only” horseshit from the door staff... pubs are forlornly pleading to people to come in and watch sky sports while paying €5 a pint.
"Not tonight..."
"Not with those shoes..."
€5 pints, mixer bottles instead if dashes, having to buy a bottle of coke for a dash, loud music with unrelated TVs flashing distracting unrelated pictures so there's less conversation and more drinking.

Let those pubs die, nothing of worth will be lost.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
The city centre licensed trade is fucked. The middle aged are sitting in at home the twenty somethings are the guys who five years ago had to listen to the “regulars only” horseshit from the door staff (imagine deliberately wiping out your market) and they’re all round each other’s houses “Pre drinking” and listening to Spotify playlists, the teens are bushing, so the empty city centre pubs are forlornly pleading to people to come in and watch sky sports while paying €5 a pint.

So the only people interested in having a few drinks are tourists, hence the whole Oliver Plunkett/Corner House/Gallaghers “begorrah bejaysis” promoting their “heritage” and selling the city centre as some kind of artisan paradise of distilleries, blacksmiths, tanneries, and creameries.

That’s what the tourists want and that’s what they’re being given: it’s about time Cork copped on to what Killarney, Galway, and Dublin have been doing for years.

So if the city centre pub of your youth is now some bastardised “oirish” heritage pub then that’s the way the cookie crumbles. Publicans aren’t going to wait until their business dries up completely before they are forced into penury just because some guy wants a social centre he can drop into for one or two pints two or three times a year.
If you put down your can hit pause on the Spotify you'd probably notice that town is absolutely jointed every weekend with people who seem to have bottomless pockets. Granted, January probably ain't a great time to do a survey on exuberance, but I'd be fairly confident that there'll be more than a man and a dog sitting in every City Centre pub this time tomorrow.

Gallaghers is probably the most tourist focused pub in town at this stage, I used to love the place but gave up when it started to feel that I was taking someone else's spot just by being there.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of the BONGO View Post
sound_Y i'm starting to think you have an uncomfortable relationship with numbers.

First off you claim you have personally witnessed over 50 bike crashes.

And now you have 400 lads outside the Mutton, pounding on the door and begging for an aul' sup of Carlsberg...
The same fella who claimed he hadn’t a fiver for a bottle of wine is a self confessed pub-aholic

It’s like suduko for simpies
Old 04-01-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicGrinder View Post
So your point had f8ck all to do my post you quoted, fair enough so.
If that’s the way you’ve decided to interpret it, then knock yourself out champ.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorz View Post
If you put down your can hit pause on the Spotify you'd probably notice that town is absolutely jointed every weekend with people who seem to have bottomless pockets. Granted, January probably ain't a great time to do a survey on exuberance, but I'd be fairly confident that there'll be more than a man and a dog sitting in every City Centre pub this time tomorrow.

Gallaghers is probably the most tourist focused pub in town at this stage, I used to love the place but gave up when it started to feel that I was taking someone else's spot just by being there.
Most are restaurants now. The days of busy pubs seven nights a week are gone: “locals” in the city centre are gone.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Most are restaurants now. The days of busy pubs seven nights a week are gone: “locals” in the city centre are gone.

I'd be shocked if "most" bars were now restaurants tbh. Sure, a lot of bars serve pizza and sandwiches, but thats just a natural progression from peanuts and crisps.

There are plenty of local bars in town, although I suppose by definition they should be local to someone, and lots of people don't live in town. If by local you mean places where everyone knows your name , the likes of Dennehys, the Mutton, Corner House, Fredz, Welcome Inn etc should fit the bill.