Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 17-09-2018, 11:32 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
All jokes aside, I would give Douglas Comm a VERY wide berth at the moment. Principal Long has retired so it might improve but the carry on out there is more like a borstal than a secondary school the last few years.
Jim is president of Munster Golf Union now, very good guy
Old 17-09-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSupporter View Post
Jim is president of Munster Golf Union now, very good guy

A very nice man, stern but fair. His predecessor B. Horgan was another shrewd character.
Old 17-09-2018, 12:33 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
is it really possible to put a youngfella in just about any school in the city regardless of where you live? Surely most schools allocate spaces to the locality/feeder schools etc first and demand is high?
There are feeder schools so they have priority plus siblings etc. Leaning towards Colaiste Daibheid.small numbers
Old 17-09-2018, 01:14 PM
PROC Member

Is that Davitt College in english?
Old 17-09-2018, 07:06 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCNA2018 View Post
Is that Davitt College in english?
Nil fhios agam 😐
Old 17-09-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapped View Post
Colaiste colm Ballincollig has a good reputation,
Yes and a gaelcholaiste if that's what you're after. Good mix of classes etc, you have millionaire kids and kids of families who've been on dole a few generations, though there's not a huge amount of both, it does seem to remove the snob in some kids, teachers are good, academics are good, extra ciric is good, highly reccommend.
Old 17-09-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorz View Post
A very nice man, stern but fair. His predecessor B. Horgan was another shrewd character.
taught science in the JC cycle and never did the experiments compared to the other teachers, but had him for maths in the LC cycle and was very good. And he became vice principal in my final year which was a big loss and caused me going to the ordinary....I fear for the school if Hickey became principal....Sean P all the way
Old 17-09-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorz View Post
I'm not even taking the piss when I say I loved it.

They had an excellent system of splitting students into classes. There were two "good" classes which were populated by the goody two shoes types as well as the intellectually gifted such as myself. Then you had a middle of the road class, which included lads who didn't quite cut the Mustard for the two top classes, along with fellas from more disadvantaged areas who were determined to push ahead in their education.

And then you had the other two classes, where lads would throw paper aeroplanes at teachers and set bins on fire before fucking them through windows.

But the segregation worked well, and I'd attribute some of my success to my time in that school.

Some characters working there too.
A lot of them are retired sadly, as I know a mate who teaches there and my brother left only a few years ago, all the characters retired like Joe Cool, Con Driscoil, Gus Healy, the biology fella Herlihy, William Leahy,,,

Thankfully the guidance councillor Casey is gone, who wasn't convinced I was in 6th year for some reason when we had to have "what do we want to do after the leaving cert chat" and had to get Long to actually tell him I was in 6th year...and he seemed to thrive on the Stioffan Naofa
Old 18-09-2018, 10:41 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
Statistically boys do better in mixed schools, the ol dolls have an effect on them.
For some reason it is the opposite for the girls.

I've seen studies which show that boys do equally well or badly in mixed or single-sex schools while girls do better in the latter.

C.S.N Bishopstown is a good school by all accounts.