Your Mental Health - Page 44 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 19-10-2019, 10:41 AM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDavid View Post
Niall Breslin is a despicable individual tbh.
He's expensive!
Old 19-10-2019, 03:38 PM

listened to him once and it was the biggest pile of 5hite I've ever heard. felt like he is being paid by companies to have a personal therapy session for himself.

Talked little or nothing about general mental health but was happy to go on and on about his own story.

No doubt charged a big fat fee to companies for the honour of talking about himself whilst the companies get the chance to pretend they give a 5hite about their staff whilst paying them buttons, working them like dogs etc...
Old 19-10-2019, 09:54 PM
Senior PROC Member

Very brave story from the jockey on tv now.
Old 24-10-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin75 View Post
Fantastic post Al. I can completely relate as I’ve been there myself. I used the demon drink to cope with crippling anxiety and within a couple of years I was a full blown alcoholic. I simply could not function without alcohol and it led me to some very very dark places. I was in rehab a couple of times and was in and out of AA but the key for to breaking out of the spiral to the grave was a regular AA group, working the Programme and getting a sponsor to take me through the 12 steps.

I have since climbed out of the abyss of despair and my life is so much happier and better but far from perfect. One day at a time...
Excellent news my friend. Keep it up. Perfect is a shitty word isnt it lol. My pet peeve is the word 'cant'. From my point and from many many others i know this is code for ' wont '. I cant get sober, i cant stop smoking, i cant stop using drugs 24/7. Its all a load of bollocks, they wont get sober, they wont stop smoking, they wont stop drugging.

Until its to late of course, when that good old life faceplant occurs. Watch the dictionary and its meanings change quick enough then though. Its just such a shame that it has to come to this before change, real change can at least settle down and grow the smallest of roots in the brain.

Today, for me, my head is clear and focused. I miss nothing and spot everything. Im an active addicts worst nightmare. One called me out a while back and said to me....... Yeah its allright for you, your different...... Can you fucking believe that! I ate the head off him, I got highly offended, and told him to fuck off, the prick.

One day at a time I get better and better at what I do. Im incredibly hard on myself, okay I have eased up on that a small bt over the years but you know the score dolphin, complacency gets you, I, or anyone, nowhere.

Onward and upward we go, clean lives full of real love, real joy, and real laughter. Not this encouraged stuff we used to get from alcohol misuse as you have said with the anxiety.

Alcohol............. ... cunning, baffling, powerful. And patient, the monkey is still on my back, the pink clouds are sometimes grey, but I will never return to that way of life, that culture. Well not today anyway.

Excellent post dolphin, hopefully more will come forward with their own walks and share with the board. There are no pebbles in our shoes scuffing the pavement, we walk well.

You know what I mean. Well done bro/sis, thanks for sharing with me and the board.
Old 24-10-2019, 01:41 PM

Location: In the Jungle, the mighty Jungle, the Langer sleeps toniiiiight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDavid View Post
Niall Breslin is a despicable individual tbh.
That seems a bit harsh, I mean, I've no love for him, but why so despicable?

Or anyone's bits really. I'd just like to see some bits.
Old 24-10-2019, 01:49 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordes'a'Fopperies View Post
That seems a bit harsh, I mean, I've no love for him, but why so despicable?
He has imo made a career for himself off peddling his 'battles' with anxiety and depression. I don't buy into it for a minute.

I think he is a complete charlatan tbh.

A self publicising fraud who spotted an opportunity to make a name for himself and ran with it.
Old 24-10-2019, 01:59 PM
Senior PROC Member

Great thread.
Old 24-10-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Post View Post
When I went off the drink 13 years ago I went to one or two meetings but I found I was better at fighting it in my own.

But to be fair it helps others and that is the main thing.
Whatever works for the individual hp. Loads of folk choose your path, some choose going on a retreat abroad for a few months in the wilderness, some chose going to the nuns in blarney to discover their spiritual side.

Different horses for different courses springs to mind.

Whatever works works, but you have to work it either way. I didnt go into a pub for the first two years because I was terrified of the outcome. Now, lol, if redbull is the only decent drink they have for me they get the eye. Its simply not good enough. Ive even been known to go into establishments with two cans of monster, have a word with the barman, tell him the score and he puts them in the fridge for me. I have ZERO shame about myself or my addiction lol. Shame left my brain years ago, folk can be shocked at my honesty.

At weddings I use the old...... ' I suffer from AUD, one drink could kill me'..... if anyone asks why no drinky. You can see the fear in their faces, its hilarious lol.

Thanks for sharing bro!!!
Old 24-10-2019, 02:01 PM

Location: In the Jungle, the mighty Jungle, the Langer sleeps toniiiiight!

I think that might be a bit definitive for me, I don't care for him, and I do recognise the self indulgence, and opportunism, for sure... But despite that, there is good in some of the messages, so I'm not overly bothered.

Or anyone's bits really. I'd just like to see some bits.
Old 24-10-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordes'a'Fopperies View Post
I think that might be a bit definitive for me, I don't care for him, and I do recognise the self indulgence, and opportunism, for sure... But despite that, there is good in some of the messages, so I'm not overly bothered.
All addicts from all walks have the same story. Some just jazz theirs up more. Let me list the obvious for any addiction...

Broken relationships.

Broken familys.

Jailtime.

Suicide attempts.

Homelessness.

Sexual and or emotional abuse as a child.

Now ofcourse, we all had fun as well but the list there just about sums up everyone in one way or another who is in the loop proper and has an extended period of sobriety. See honesty will always shine through, just needs time. Does the lad you are talking about go into any detail about the above?

Im asking for a friend.