Cork Hurlers - Part 2 - Page 3495 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 19-07-2019, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballhopping View Post
Has he much experience managing adult teams ?
How did Limerick go about it ? Not big names but
Kiely was selector with John Allen and would have got the job after Allen left only for the fact he was promoted to school principal.Also managed their u21s and intermediate teams. What is your definition of a big name?
Old 19-07-2019, 03:07 PM

if Donal og was appointed the new manager how many of ye would mot support him?
Old 19-07-2019, 03:23 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penman View Post
Most of the fault for failure lies with the various managers over the years. They have failed to coach the players to the proven winning formula. You dont have to look hard to find the winning formula/system of hurling. It is the Cody Kilkenny system. This is the proven most successful system of hurling over the last 15 years. When you see a winning formula, you copy it - simple as that. I am not saying it is simple to win, but if you copy a proven winning formula, you have a better chance of winning. The main features of the Cody system are -
1. Stop the opposition player from using the ball, by gang tackling him with 2 or 3 men. You must get your team to a super level of fitness and determination to sustain this for 70 minutes.
2. No short passing game, because it breaks down too often and gifts easy scores to the opposition, and frustrates your own team and supporters.

There is a lot of comment here that Cork players need more steel - and they do. How do you achieve steel. You achieve more steel by using the Cody system of gang tackling when you lose possession. This is how you get on top of the opposition and boss them out of it.
Why have Cork managers failed to copy the proven Cody formula/system, and coach their team to this system. If they copy this system, they have a better chance of winning. If they fail to copy the winning system, and persist with the losing system - they will continue to lose. The County Board people responsible for appointing the Manager, must insist that he uses the proven winning system.
So you're saying play puke hurling............. how did we not see this all along? Did you not see Hoggie last weekend make shit of the KK defence?
Old 19-07-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCNA2018 View Post
So you're saying play puke hurling............. how did we not see this all along? Did you not see Hoggie last weekend make shit of the KK defence?
Exactly. Cork should have had that game won at half time. Certain players need to toughen up and show more desire in the red jersey but doesn't mean we want puke hurling fest either.
Essentially game lost with players unable to execute basic skills albeit some of Meyler's selections made Cody's job very easy.
Lehane starting against Kilkenny!! WTF kind of epic plays and scores was the guy doing in training that made Meyler think "Conor at 11 is the only man for me"????
Old 19-07-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red&blue View Post
You are in cuckoo land if you think

1) the board want him
2) the players want him
3) we need his chess like approach to the game
4) he has a clue

Relax man ..I didn't say he had any of those things I'm just saying he's going to get it, whether I approve or disapprove of him is irrelevant
Old 19-07-2019, 03:52 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarlofPearl View Post
Kiely was selector with John Allen and would have got the job after Allen left only for the fact he was promoted to school principal.Also managed their u21s and intermediate teams. What is your definition of a big name?
Thanks ,obviously doing a great job .
Big names as in intercounty 'stars '
Great players don't automatically make great managers/ coaches .
I meant D O C s experience ,I don't think hes achieved much as a manager ?
TIA👍
Old 19-07-2019, 04:03 PM

Donal Og is far too divisive to be appointed Cork manager at this stage. If he wants the job he needs to prove his credentials either on the club scene or with another county.
There are a large number of more suitable candidates who have experience and are proving themselves on the club scene currently and I'm a fan of his.
Old 19-07-2019, 04:04 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurlaway View Post
Relax man ..I didn't say he had any of those things I'm just saying he's going to get it, whether I approve or disapprove of him is irrelevant
So if the board don't want him, the players don't want him and he's going to play chess hurling and he hasn't a clue, he's going to get the job? How?
Old 19-07-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red&blue View Post
So if the board don't want him, the players don't want him and he's going to play chess hurling and he hasn't a clue, he's going to get the job? How?
Last Sunday perhaps showed that last bit not to be a stumbling block!!
Old 19-07-2019, 04:06 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingin View Post
Donal Og is far too divisive to be appointed Cork manager at this stage. If he wants the job he needs to prove his credentials either on the club scene or with another county.
There are a large number of more suitable candidates who have experience and are proving themselves on the club scene currently and I'm a fan of his.
I agree, way too divisive and way too troublesome, he should get involved in the less glamourous world of underage development squads and if he proves his worth maybe he could be considered for a higher job