tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Cork Hurlers - Part 2 - Page 2999 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 17-02-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice is yours View Post
Not at all but perhaps a spot in the q/fs is which is the least Cork should be aiming for. The q/fs should be a tad more competitive than these league outings so far.
Good point. The more games we get the better IMO because we have a lot of guy's will get an opportunity to put there hand up for championship. I honestly don't care about winning the league but would be nice to get more games in before the minefield which Munster will be IMO
Old 17-02-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red&blue View Post
I agree on the first paragraph, it is hurling snobbery.

The second paragraph is an interesting debate, how many no 3s are better than Damien or how many no 5s are better than Joyce
I'll give it a go. Has to be noted however that defensive systems & the other members of each defences likely have a big impact as to how we view these players.

Full back ranking:
1. Daithi Burke
2. Mike Casey
3. Eoghan o'donnell
4. Liam Ryan
5. David McInerney
6. James Barry
7. Damian Cahalane
8. Padraig Walsh / AN Other
9. Conor Gleeson / Conor Prunty

RHB ranking
1. Tadhg Burke
2. P Mannion
3. D Byrnes
4. P Foley
5. C Delaney
6. C Joyce
7. S Kennedy
8. C Malone
9. T Connolly
Old 17-02-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morello View Post
I'll give it a go. Has to be noted however that defensive systems & the other members of each defences likely have a big impact as to how we view these players.

Full back ranking:
1. Daithi Burke
2. Mike Casey
3. Eoghan o'donnell
4. Liam Ryan
5. David McInerney
6. James Barry
7. Damian Cahalane
8. Padraig Walsh / AN Other
9. Conor Gleeson / Conor Prunty

RHB ranking
1. Tadhg Burke
2. P Mannion
3. D Byrnes
4. P Foley
5. C Delaney
6. C Joyce
7. S Kennedy
8. C Malone
9. T Connolly
Great list but I’d have Pádraig Walsh up at least number 3 on the full back list even though he probably won’t be full back this year
Old 17-02-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Cork View Post
I think that some people have their minds made up about players before they watch them play in a game and some media reports are certainly written the day before.

Damian Cahalane will be criticised and Patrick Horgan praised to the rafters are the two most obvious, Christopher Joyce is an other coming in for criticism although I think he has done really well this year so far.

Last night there were more games being played than the one on the field by both teams with a far more important game to be played in a few weeks time. Both teams certainly were not showing their full hand in terms of personnel or tactics.

My ratings from last night.
Nash, I don't think he had a save to make all night even though Clare had Conlon at 14 who had really good ball being driven into him all night.. and still people will not credit Cahalane with this . Nash 6/10 , Cahalane 7/10.
McDonnell, I thought he was average at best and is showing the rustiness of a year out at this level, has a lot to do to get back to the player he was a generous 5/10.
O Donoghue , getting better all the time 7.5/10.
Joyce, good game, strong and solid 7/10
O Mahony, settling in nicely, looking more comfortable and confident in the role 7/10
Griffin, a steep learning curve, was blocked or hooked on four occasions but if had not we would all have been saying what a great debut he had. He needed to get rid quicker as you get so little time at this level. He should not be too unhappy as he certainly did some good things as well. 5/10.
Cooper, got better as the game went on, a warrior, absolutely vital to the team 7/10.
Murphy, his poorest game this year 5/10
Kearney, great bit of stuff, should have been motm 8/10
Harnedy. good first day out, is pulled and dragged so much it is hard to believe, will get even better 6.5/10
Lehane, unfortunately poor again. I actually forgot he was playing. A poor call from the ref denied him an almost certain goal. 4.5/10
Horgan, good on frees , tightly marked and certainly did not get a free every time he was fouled, but , no way was he carrying Cork on his back, typical media hype 6.5/10
Aidan Walsh, I thought he did well, strong and physical, works hard for the team and his touch is better than I expected. Got relatively little service into him at full forward and what he got was poor, I would love to see how he would fare if he got the same service as Conlon at the other end 7/10.
Coughlan, unlucky not to get a goal early on. Was in front of me in the first half and was unlucky not to get some more frees as he was constantly being pulled. Not a starter but a decent squad option 6/10.

Subs :
Meade, busy as usual, another good squad option.
Cadogan, just great to see back, will take a little while to get up to speed.
Darren Browne, solid without making a huge impact.

Ref. I have always thought Johnny Ryan is not up to refereeing at this level and last night did nothing to change my mind. Gives frees when they are not there and misses obvious fouls. A generous 4/10
Agree with a lot of those ratings with one noteable exception. No way was Aidan Walsh better than Hoggie on the night.

And just a minor correction. David Griffin made his league debut in Feb 2017.
Old 17-02-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvhurling View Post
Agree with a lot of those ratings with one noteable exception. No way was Aidan Walsh better than Hoggie on the night.

And just a minor correction. David Griffin made his league debut in Feb 2017.
ILH
I thought Griffin was OK. And its about giving these guys more games and not just a fleeting appearance in the league. The commitment these guys have is incredible. I watched the UCC Game Tuesday and players from both sides were out on their feet near the end. So to have that level of commitment for me is just incredible from these guys. I thought Griffin and Chris O Leary were very good for UCC and hopefully after the Fitz we can try them out again. It would be miracle stuff to just think a player can establish himself in just one game. He could be a cover for Joyce at 5 for Munster and it all about building a panel not a starting 15 .we need 2 players in each position because we will get injuries etc come Munster and we will need option in every position.
Give these lads time to bed in because inter county is faster than Fitz .
The one complaint I don't think any of us would make is the commitment each and every one of the players have been it young or old.
Harnedy on the line with Midleton CBS and Alan Cadogan with Rossies just an example. Incredible commitment these guys give.
Old 17-02-2019, 08:12 PM

Nash

Browne
Spillane
O'Donoghue

O Mahony
Cahalane
Colman

Fitzgibbon
Cooper

Lehane
Kearney
Harnedy

Cadogan
Kingston
Horgan
Old 17-02-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Boy View Post
Nash

Browne
Spillane
O'Donoghue

O Mahony
Cahalane
Colman

Fitzgibbon
Cooper

Lehane
Kearney
Harnedy

Cadogan
Kingston
Horgan
Tidy enough team, I wouldn’t say no to seeing it in action
Old 17-02-2019, 09:01 PM

Did ye watch limerick today similar enough in ways to clare.any time they attacked in a solo at least 2 men running off the player with the sliotar.
puts a bigger onus on the half forwards midfielders to mark and follow their opponent when the sliotar is lost.
Plus the blew kk out of it physically.
Cork need forwards to stand up to limerick as they will not want to allow cork backs play perfect ball up to Hoggie and co.

QUOTE=thekeeper_79;6 396326]Tidy enough team, I wouldn’t say no to seeing it in action[/QUOTE]
Old 17-02-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarrog View Post
ILH
I thought Griffin was OK. And its about giving these guys more games and not just a fleeting appearance in the league. The commitment these guys have is incredible. I watched the UCC Game Tuesday and players from both sides were out on their feet near the end. So to have that level of commitment for me is just incredible from these guys. I thought Griffin and Chris O Leary were very good for UCC and hopefully after the Fitz we can try them out again. It would be miracle stuff to just think a player can establish himself in just one game. He could be a cover for Joyce at 5 for Munster and it all about building a panel not a starting 15 .we need 2 players in each position because we will get injuries etc come Munster and we will need option in every position.
Give these lads time to bed in because inter county is faster than Fitz .
The one complaint I don't think any of us would make is the commitment each and every one of the players have been it young or old.
Harnedy on the line with Midleton CBS and Alan Cadogan with Rossies just an example. Incredible commitment these guys give.
I agree. Griffin was good. Made a few obvious mistakes, but you'd rather that a guy has the courage to try and do the right thing, than hide away. He needs to sharpen up his hurling, but he doesn't need any criticism for having the guts to have a go.His mentality is right and that's a god start.
Old 18-02-2019, 12:52 AM
PROC Member

Only back in the country since this afternoon so couldn't make the game last night. Spent the last 3 hours watching Cork V Clare and Kilkenny V Limerick. You always get a different perspective watching a game in the flesh compared to watching it on TV. A few things have stood out to me over the weekend.

This years league is a complete farce. Bar the Limerick boys there is a ferocious amount of shadow boxing going on, we are especially guilty of it, now Ive no particular problem with that but for the price the GAA are charging into games this season the hurling has been poor thus far and isn't value for money.

Kilkenny are over rated. I know they still have the Ballyhale boys to come and I don't think they would get a trimming like that in championship but I think their hurling is usually more suited to this time of year, now they have made a noticeable effort to change up their style and play through the lines, I just don't think they are 'silky' enough to be successful with this style. Limerick should have beaten them by a lot more truth be told. If they were in Munster I don't think they would emerge from the group stage and it highlights the inequalities of the provincial championships as gateways to the All Ireland championship in my opinion.

From a Cork perspective I thought last night was very positive. I logged on a few times here to read the comments and was expecting a total 'sh!tshow' when I sat down to watch the game. Instead I was relatively happy with what I saw. Again as I've been saying all along Cork aren't exactly exerting themselves in this league which is why their is no need for some of the hysteria you see on here, facebook and talking to lads in the pub or down the club when they lose and likewise last nights win means little in the greater scheme of things either.

On the game itself,
I thought Nash's puckouts were sloppy in the first half, much improved in the second half. I hate commenting on puckouts when I could only see it on TV as I have no idea what movement was going on in the second prior to the puckout.

I thought the full backline looked relatively solid. Clare didn't get a sniff of a goal chance. McDonnell did ok, kept his man quiet, ball use could be a lot better though.
Cahalane also did OK but he's his own worst enemy sometimes, He was marking an in form All Star in Conlon and at no stage looked like coughing up a goal. A guy like Conlon in form will always score a few points, Cahalane actually did the hard part right on a few occasions and beat Conlon to the ball only to cough it up cheaply through a poor first touch and allow Conlon a handy score so instead of scoring 2 or 3 points Conlon ends up with 4 and the Cahalane gets slated by half the county again. By the way some of the ball coming into Conlon was a forwards dream. O Donaghue had a fine game.

Joyce had his best outing to date. I still don't think he''s good enough to start come summer though. Tim O Mahony, the most interesting player in Cork this spring in my view. I think he's really starting to mould himself into a proper center back. His driving runs from center back are starting to become a feature of our play, he's reading of the game is improving all the time, I just can't get over the power of him compared to last year. For much of this decade we have all lamented the ease with which teams have cut through our soft center. Thats been rectified I feel, the trade off is that O Mahony holds the center and as a result you get a player like Tony Kelly moving everywhere popping over points but crucially not coming remotely close to banging in a goal. Its up to management to task a half forward to cover the opposition center forward. We didn't do that last night but I feel it would be completely different come championship.

David Griffin did OK also I felt. He was very competitive in the physical exchanges and won a lot of them. Unfortunately he showed his greenness when in possession and was continually hooked or blocked leading to scores on a few occasions. If he learns from last night I thought he showed enough to deserve a few more chances.

Murphy had his poorest game but at the same time wasn't awful either. Won a few dirty balls in rucks, was harshly penalized for a legitimate handpass.
Cooper was quiet possession wise but did a lot of donkey work.

Daniel Kearney was excellent. A must on this team. Would like to see him fulfill the role of harrassing the opposition center forward while Tim O Mahony holds the center.
Seamie Harnedy was poor I thought. Not worried though. Sheer rustiness.
Conor Lehane was also very poor. Don't know whats to be done with him. He's not delivering on his potential and more then most looks seriously disinterested in this league campaign.

Hoggie is one of the all time greats. Aidan Walsh again tried hard but I just don't think he's good enough for this level. Jaime Coughlan did fine, thought he was continually fouled and I thought the foul on him for his goal chance was sneaky enough and was borderline red.

Luke Meade did fine when he came on and it was great to see Alan Cadogan and Darren Browne get gametime.

I wouldn't be concerned with Hoggie scoring 15 points from frees. Lot of the other forwards won those frees. The Clare tackling was horrendous, can't score when your been fouled and Hoggie did his job when repeatedly called upon. Couldn't get over how brainless the Clare backs were.

Despite my positivity Id be concerned we could receive a trimming against Limerick next week. Limerick aren't messing around, they have their panel building done last year and are determined to lay down markers left right and center. They look to me like a team that think they can win league, Munster and All Ireland titles and are making no bones about it. On the other hand we have no real stomach for this league campaign I feel.

Lastly it was great the hear all the positive reports from the Harty final and B final yesterday. Looked a massive occasion, the reports I got all said the standard was high as was the physicality. It was great also to hear the pundits on RTE last night and John Meyler all reference the colleges day out in their analysis. Even Donal Og seems positive about the future of Cork hurling. Changed times. Exciting times.