tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Cork senior Hurling championship 2019 - Page 151 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 21-10-2019, 03:24 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
Yes the knowledge that you can improve certain peoples' running technique has been around. The point is some people make assumptions that so-and-so is on the intercounty panel so must already know how to be the best possible runner he can be - and I don't think that's always the case tbh.
Fair enough 👍
Old 21-10-2019, 03:25 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
To be fair, Cobh, are working hard the past few years within the GAA club and are showing a lot of promise underage. They have huge sporting competition on the Island with soccer, rugby and athletics - particularly underage.

Cobh were Junior B football in 2016 (when KH was a cork u-21 player) and have been a serious competitor in East Cork JAHC with the past 5-6 years.

Regardless of any particular player motives etc, i think it proves the value of a well organised divisional setup when he stays to play hurling with his home club. I think football is his main game and when you are a young fella trying to play and test yourself as much as you can then it must be disheartening if your club and division are poor or non-existent in Imokilly's case.

I think that an awful lot of people fail to realise that the presence of a strong divisional hurling setup in East Cork helps smaller clubs to hold onto their players and can help clubs with a leg-up to break the cycle.
Very good post.
Old 21-10-2019, 03:55 PM

I think there is a fair chance that Imokilly may struggle to win another county next year.
They will have lost Dalton and Millerick and more importantly Fergal Condon.
Glen Rovers showed this year that the gap was not enormous between them and Imolkilly.

I think the bar has been raised for all clubs by Imokilly and I think that is a positive.
Old 21-10-2019, 03:57 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
The point you're continuing to ignore was the claim that Football isn't strong in Cobh in trying to make an excuse for Histon joining Nemo, while retaining Imokilly qualification with Cobh hurlers, as though Hurling is strong in Cobh - it isn't.

Yes Imokilly's star did fade but from the very pinnacle and to try to blame it all on Aghada going senior is risible. Look even at the names you cite - Teddy Mac won an AI senior in 1990, and Colm O'Neill won one too. These were guys at the top even in the early 90s but you'd have us believe that football in east Cork went down the plug-hole a year or two after Imokilly were the top football side in the county in the mid-80s.

Now Imokilly are stirring again in football, but you want to excuse Histon picking and choosing. Maybe you're convincing yourself, but you sure aren't convincing everybody.
When discussing Imokilly football, would it be amiss to mention how poor and shambolic Glanmire are in the IFC considering the large population base they have to draw from. For such a large area they should be competing at a higher level. Erins Own have always tried to promote football aswell, reaching two County Junior A Finals in the past 15 years or so. Then you have the likes of Youghal and Cloyne who've done well over the years at football.

If a quality management team who were prepared to put in the groundwork then I couldnt see why they couldnt put a decent team in place for the SFC. Only issue is would the bigger clubs buy in and let their players train and play, than is the huge issue
Old 21-10-2019, 04:19 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
To be fair, Cobh, are working hard the past few years within the GAA club and are showing a lot of promise underage. They have huge sporting competition on the Island with soccer, rugby and athletics - particularly underage.

Cobh were Junior B football in 2016 (when KH was a cork u-21 player) and have been a serious competitor in East Cork JAHC with the past 5-6 years.

Regardless of any particular player motives etc, i think it proves the value of a well organised divisional setup when he stays to play hurling with his home club. I think football is his main game and when you are a young fella trying to play and test yourself as much as you can then it must be disheartening if your club and division are poor or non-existent in Imokilly's case.

I think that an awful lot of people fail to realise that the presence of a strong divisional hurling setup in East Cork helps smaller clubs to hold onto their players and can help clubs with a leg-up to break the cycle.
I'm not criticising Imokilly hurling in this in any way. And of course youngsters, and even seasoned campaigners, in East Cork ("the home of Cork Hurling" ) will be getting a great lift from seeing the divisional team win a county. You can only imagine what winning 3 in a row is doing for underage hurling down there in clubs of all sizes, which please God in years to come will feed into the Cork inter-county team.

I just think Histon transferring to Nemo in Football, while retaining a foothold in hurling with Imokilly is bending the rules way past what they should be. I'm not saying he's broken any rules as they stand per se, but I do think he's picking and choosing as suits him which, to me anyway, leaves a bad taste.
Old 21-10-2019, 04:21 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard View Post
And one 20 year old that I know

Some would be amazed to learn you're even that old
Old 21-10-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard View Post
How did Fr O Neills get on last weekend? Since you are wondering.
On that Topic
Didnt I say in my earlier post that Fr O Neills doing a great job developing players, its just extra gravy for them to be able to throw their weight behind an already talent laden divisional side, and end up with premier intermediate & senior medals in same year (well week really) I dont think that disproves my point
And id be certain i know which medal means more to them
Old 21-10-2019, 05:30 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indenetprovider View Post
On that Topic
Didnt I say in my earlier post that Fr O Neills doing a great job developing players, its just extra gravy for them to be able to throw their weight behind an already talent laden divisional side, and end up with premier intermediate & senior medals in same year (well week really) I dont think that disproves my point
Possibly citing involvement with Duhallow as reason for Kanturks capitulation yesterday yet FON didn't suffer any ill effects. I don't see any difference, games at this time of year come almost weekly for teams with divisional involvement.
Old 21-10-2019, 05:53 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky Corner Forwar View Post
When discussing Imokilly football, would it be amiss to mention how poor and shambolic Glanmire are in the IFC considering the large population base they have to draw from. For such a large area they should be competing at a higher level. Erins Own have always tried to promote football aswell, reaching two County Junior A Finals in the past 15 years or so. Then you have the likes of Youghal and Cloyne who've done well over the years at football.

If a quality management team who were prepared to put in the groundwork then I couldnt see why they couldnt put a decent team in place for the SFC. Only issue is would the bigger clubs buy in and let their players train and play, than is the huge issue
Just on Glanmire, I think they must suffer desperately from being a separate club to Sars. That barrier makes things much more difficult than one club operating in both codes, could say the same with St Nicks. I saw Glanmire 2nd team play this year, junior b, and they only had 17 plsyers togged off. Thats very poor for the population they have
Old 21-10-2019, 06:17 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:

I think lots of people are forgetting that Histon could win a county senior double this year if Nemo win the football final - when was the last time that this was achieved ? back in the days when Barrs were winning in both ? did the Barrs ever do the double ? This is some achievement for Histon in fairness and he is a very good all round defender