tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Cork Hurlers - Part 2 - Page 3499 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 21-07-2019, 05:58 PM
PROC Member

Forget about systems until Cork players have the core basics of defending coupled with the right attitude when they pull on that red jersey. From the outset this year the scores we have conceded have been horrendous and all you have to do is look back at Hogans goal last Sunday along with the two points scored by John Donnelly and to the goal scored by Shane O Donnell in the Clare game. I could give more examples but these guys never seem to learn and expect Hoggy Alan Cadogan and a lesser extent Harnedy to shoot the lights out to get them over the line in games. A good defensive coach should be first appointment made by the next Manager who should not be John Meyler by the way.
Old 21-07-2019, 06:10 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gougane View Post
In my opinion,Red&Blue, what happens is that managements in Cork place far too much faith in systems and not nearly enough in the players. The first major shortcoming of this is that the players lose the ability to think for themselves and to play what’s in front of them. Instead they mindlessly continue to follow the system even when it's failing. Secondly, they fail to realise that when you go out on to the field getting the better of your man is paramount. Thirdly, systems look very good when they work but by and large good managements usually have figured out a system to counteract it by the time the second half begins. As a result when the system fails you are left with nothing.

The tools to fight it out are the mindset and the skill set of the players. The mindset is the determination not to be beaten by the man you’re marking. The skills needed to fight it out are the basic core skills of competing for the ball and being able to tackle properly. Personally I couldn’t emphasise enough the importance of tackling.
I agree 100%
Old 21-07-2019, 07:57 PM
PROC Member

We’re not far off. I think a new manager would benefit this team with no disrespect to Meyler who gave us some great days out. Cork are a great spectator team but we concede far far too much. Couple of lads on the u20 team have that no nonsense hard working style that we need, Ger Mellerick being the main guy., along with the two roches and O’Callaghan. As many posters her have said, this team really needs lads who can transform into Timmy Mac and Nially Mac type players who facilitate the likes of Cadsy and Hoggy.
Old 21-07-2019, 08:37 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gougane View Post
In my opinion,Red&Blue, what happens is that managements in Cork place far too much faith in systems and not nearly enough in the players. The first major shortcoming of this is that the players lose the ability to think for themselves and to play what’s in front of them. Instead they mindlessly continue to follow the system even when it's failing. Secondly, they fail to realise that when you go out on to the field getting the better of your man is paramount. Thirdly, systems look very good when they work but by and large good managements usually have figured out a system to counteract it by the time the second half begins. As a result when the system fails you are left with nothing.

The tools to fight it out are the mindset and the skill set of the players. The mindset is the determination not to be beaten by the man you’re marking. The skills needed to fight it out are the basic core skills of competing for the ball and being able to tackle properly. Personally I couldn’t emphasise enough the importance of tackling.
Gougane - you say management are placing too much faith in a system. But, the problem is, that they are placing their faith in the wrong system, the losing system, which has failed over the last 14 years. They need to place thier faith in the Cody system. This is the winning system, which won 8 titles in 10 years. They need to adopt Cody's winning system of gang tackling, and ditching the short passing game, which has broken down too often for Cork, and gifted easy scores to the opposition, as clearly evidenced in our recent game against KK, where we gifted them 6 or 7 points from our short passing game breaking down.

You say - a system causes players to lose the ability to think for themselves. The Cody system has not caused the KK players to lose the ability to think for themselves. The Cody gang tackling system has given his players the mindset and steel to dominate the opposition - this system won 8 titles in 10 years - why not copy it - it is a no brainer.

You say - good management figure out a way to counteract a system. In the last game against KK, Cody figured out a way to counteract the Cork short passing game - they broke it down and were gifted 6/7 easy points. That is why Cork should ditch this disasterous short passing game. As regards the Cody gang tackling system - nobody has been able to counteract this system - that is why he won 8 out of 10 titles. Tipp, Galway and Limerick won their recent titles by copying the Cody system, not by counteracting it with something better.

Why have Cork management failed to adopt the proven Cody winning system as defined in my post numbers 34924 and 34938. It is because of one of these 3 reasons, which one is it -
1. Cork management recognise that the Cody system is the best winning system, but they refuse to adopt it because it is not the Cork way.
2. Cork management have tried to coach their players to adopt the Cody system, but the players refuse to do it.
3. Cork management have not got the brains to see that the Cody system is the proven winning system.
Old 21-07-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCNA2018 View Post
Puke hurling is not our way. That we need to do the basics right, no argument. That we need to be more "up for it", no argument. That we need to adapt from pure wristy hurling and be able to ship tackles and contest dirty ball, no argument.

That we need to stoop to 3 man tackling, free arm tackles, helmet tipping, hurleys round the neck, pulling across the arms and chest and rugby tackling forwards to the ground when 1 on 1 inside the 21.............I'll pass thanks very much.
😂😂. Kilkenny 2-27 Cark 3-18 and as I said before Tiddlywinks is the best game for some Cark supporters 😂.
Old 21-07-2019, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puss in Boots View Post
😂😂. Kilkenny 2-27 Cark 3-18 and as I said before Tiddlywinks is the best game for some Cark supporters 😂.
Please don't take his views on hurling as representative of all Cork supporters.
Old 21-07-2019, 11:35 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledintipp View Post
Forget about systems until Cork players have the core basics of defending coupled with the right attitude when they pull on that red jersey. From the outset this year the scores we have conceded have been horrendous and all you have to do is look back at Hogans goal last Sunday along with the two points scored by John Donnelly and to the goal scored by Shane O Donnell in the Clare game. I could give more examples but these guys never seem to learn and expect Hoggy Alan Cadogan and a lesser extent Harnedy to shoot the lights out to get them over the line in games. A good defensive coach should be first appointment made by the next Manager who should not be John Meyler by the way.
The players just seem to be doing as instructed.

Maybe that's half the problem.
Old 22-07-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethelred View Post
The players just seem to be doing as instructed.

Maybe that's half the problem.
I think they are following instructions.
That is the problem.
Old 22-07-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Cork View Post
I think they are following instructions.
That is the problem.
That's why Meyler needs to sling his hook. He's not up to this whatever other great qualities he may have.
Old 22-07-2019, 09:23 AM

The skill set of the players isn’t good enough in my opinion. The ability of most players to compete for ball in the air and to tackle effectively is poor and at the moment I can’t see who’s going to coach these skills.