Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 09-12-2009, 01:48 PM

Default I was wondering when a big club were going to sign this fella...

Quote:
(GSM) - Ajax striker Luis Suarez is set to make a move to Chelsea next summer. The Uruguayan hitman has agreed on personal terms with the Blues, according to several Dutch media.
Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf claims that the deal is supposed to be completed next summer, if Chelsea manages to reach an agreement with Ajax. The Amsterdam side isn't aware of the interest yet.
Chelsea have recently requested a suspension of their transfer ban at the CAS. The west London club were banned from registering any players until January 2011 over the signing of Gael Kakuta from RC Lens in 2007.
Suarez is in his third season with Ajax and has been very succesful so far, scoring 56 goals in 80 Eredivisie appearances for the Dutch top flight club.
His scoring and assisting records have been phenomenal for Ajax.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:56 PM

yup some record

Looks set for the massive step up, which it is, as others from that league have found out

I've only seen him a few times and he looks lethal
Old 09-12-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEG View Post
yup some record

Looks set for the massive step up, which it is, as others from that league have found out

I've only seen him a few times and he looks lethal
Yeah.

For every Ruud Van Niistelrooy, there's been a Mateja Kezman.

There are so many weak teams in the Dutch League, an only half-decent players can rack up a load of goals.

Anyone know how he's been doing against teams like PSV, Feyenoord, Alkmaar and Enschede? Those would be a better indicator of how he may get on in England.

I'm not sure how it could work with the Chelsea transfer ban. Unless the appeal is won, it will be in place next summer.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:42 PM

i don't think i've seen him play, perhaps against argentina in the final game of the south american qualifiers.

he's only 22 - wiki tells us he picks up a lot of bookings. chelsea haven't had great luck with south americans in the last few years: crespo, pizarro, veron... will be interesting to see how he does. we'll get a preview in the world cup anyway, assuming he stays fit. you would think he and forlan would pose a threat but uruguay struggled in qualifying so who knows.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd26 View Post
Yeah.

For every Ruud Van Niistelrooy, there's been a Mateja Kezman.

There are so many weak teams in the Dutch League, an only half-decent players can rack up a load of goals.

Anyone know how he's been doing against teams like PSV, Feyenoord, Alkmaar and Enschede? Those would be a better indicator of how he may get on in England.

I'm not sure how it could work with the Chelsea transfer ban. Unless the appeal is won, it will be in place next summer.
OK, looking at his record against the better sides in each season:

2007/08:
v Feyenoord 0 goals/1 assist in 2 appearances
v Heereenveen 3 goals/2 assists in 2 appearances
v Twente 0 goals/0 assists in 2 appearances
v NAC 0 goals/0 assists in 2
v PSV 0 goals/0 assists in 2

2008/09:
v Groningen 0 goals/0 assists in 2
v Heereenveen 1 goal/0 assists in 2
v PSV 2 goals/1 assist in 2
v Twente Didn't play
v AZ 1 goal/0 assists in 2

2009/10:
v Utrecht 0 goals/0 assists in 1
v Feyenoord 1 goal/0 assists in 1
v PSV 2 goals/1 assist in 1
v Twente 0 goals/0 assists in 1

Total appearances: 22
Total goals: 10
Total assists: 5

Unspectacular but adequate. The majority of both goals and assists are coming against the weaker sides but to balance it out a little he's been playing in a non-championship winning side since he joined them.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:41 PM

For Feyenoord between 2003-06, Dirk Kuyt made 101 appearances and scored 71 goals.... yet since then has made 118 appearances scoring 31 times for the Pool... Unfortunately for the Dutch league its heyday is well past it. As a Liverpool fan I can empathise with them!
Old 09-12-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey View Post
Unfortunately for the Dutch league its heyday is well past it.
There's no doubt about that but you can't just blindly say that these players can't make the step up to the higher grade either. He is the most consistent forward in the Eredivisie for the past three seasons. The fact that he weighs in with a big number of assists as well as goals might point to him being classy enough for the step up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey
For Feyenoord between 2003-06, Dirk Kuyt made 101 appearances and scored 71 goals.... yet since then has made 118 appearances scoring 31 times for the Pool
Has Kuyt been such a bad player for Liverpool though? You can't really compare his striking record with what he had at Feyenoord because I'm pretty sure he was Feyenoord's main striker in his time there, whereas Benitez uses him on the right side most of the time. Sure, his touch doesn't always look too classy but I'd point to players like Lucas and umpteen full backs as Liverpool's main weaknesses in the last few seasons.

Last edited by afeencalleddan; 09-12-2009 at 04:16 PM..
Old 09-12-2009, 04:50 PM

Another in the lines of Kezman, Alves and Samaras?

He does look a step above the latter two mind.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raZor View Post
Another in the lines of Kezman, Alves and Samaras?

He does look a step above the latter two mind.
Maybe even the new dirk kuyt?
Old 09-12-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Davies. View Post
He's a good player.
He may even be the new Lisandro Lopez or even better, Rob Earnshaw!