tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Cork Footballers - Page 501 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 24-05-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh View Post
They are part of the Cork Panel, just because your not a fan of theirs doesnt mean that Conor Counihan should get rid of them

i relaise that, this is an opinion forum i think so giving my opinion. if that hurts your feelings just ignore.
Old 24-05-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior footballer View Post
i relaise that, this is an opinion forum i think so giving my opinion. if that hurts your feelings just ignore.
You have a bee in your bonnet over James Masters and you use any chance you get to criticise the Cork management and Counihan in particular.At least hold off until the Kerry game is over and then let us see if some of your posts hold up.I think Counihan is doing a fantastic job by the way.
Old 24-05-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontipine View Post
You have a bee in your bonnet over James Masters and you use any chance you get to criticise the Cork management and Counihan in particular.At least hold off until the Kerry game is over and then let us see if some of your posts hold up.I think Counihan is doing a fantastic job by the way.
Why the Kerry game?

Havent recent years showed that winning the provincial title often means less success in September?

I do believe that Cork will beat Kerry however the back door route wouldnt be too bad except for Club championship games in Cork!
Old 24-05-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
i thought at the time it was a mistake but maybe counihan and his selectors were and are right. personnally when i see kevin mcmahon brought back to the panel after not playing in 2009 and being injured for most of 2008 and playing poorly in the only game i saw him in , i ask the question on what from is he brought into the panel?
my problem with the management is imo that they pick the wrong team when it matters most, you can give guys chances in league and when they perform they should be picked but we have fellas here who havent performed in championship for years and they are still there like spillane/koconnor and oregan. i thought spillane did ok in league this year , so what history tells us come championship he will be found out for pace again. at this stage masters in the least of our worries.
cork have a serious bunch of quality footballers, they should win this all ireland final, if they had a jack o connor or mickey harte in charge they would walk it, they dont unfortunately
Old 24-05-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombdiggity View Post
Seriously encouraging to hear Colm O'Neill looks like he's returning to form.
He's a class act. Any more news about Ciaran Sheehan.
It's going to be very interesting to see what team gets picked for Killarney.
Also hear Derek K is going good guns in training and if Canty doesn't make it
would like to see him strart full back on Donaghy
Has a referee been appointed yet?
Against Kerry I would opt for Kavanagh at Full Back even if Canty is fit. With Canty at No 6 and Shields at No 7.
Old 24-05-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Pontipine i agree with a lot of you're points in this thread but i think Junior Footballer has a right to express his concerns too.And this must be the 100th time you mentioned James Masters in a negative manner and the last post about him was about 10-20 pages ago.
Old 24-05-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior footballer View Post
i thought at the time it was a mistake but maybe counihan and his selectors were and are right. personnally when i see kevin mcmahon brought back to the panel after not playing in 2009 and being injured for most of 2008 and playing poorly in the only game i saw him in , i ask the question on what from is he brought into the panel?
my problem with the management is imo that they pick the wrong team when it matters most, you can give guys chances in league and when they perform they should be picked but we have fellas here who havent performed in championship for years and they are still there like spillane/koconnor and oregan. i thought spillane did ok in league this year , so what history tells us come championship he will be found out for pace again. at this stage masters in the least of our worries.
cork have a serious bunch of quality footballers, they should win this all ireland final, if they had a jack o connor or mickey harte in charge they would walk it, they dont unfortunately
You have raised some interesting points here JF. I must admit that I am a little disappointed that Kieran O Connor is still on the Cork Panel and playing in clallenge games a fortnight before one of our really big games. O Connor is 30 now and whilst he had a very good game for Aghada vs Na Piarsaigh - He has been seriously exposed at the top level and is not a realistic option to start of come on as sub. Surely there must be better prospects in the county.

Ger Spillane is a difficult one - he was very good a few years ago but does seem to lack the pace needed for championship football - as you said, he had a few decent league games and played well at full-back (against Kerry ?) On balance, I would agree with you that he is not a realistic option but I can see why the management retains him.

Kevin McMahon is a strange choice to be getting runs in challenge games - with Goold, Lynch, Hayes and O Flynn, Cork seem to have good options - but I wouldn't mind seeing him in action - to judge.

There is no doubt that the O Connor and Harte Management teams have been important in Kerry and Tyrone's dominance. Counihan's management team hasn't inspired confidence yet against Kerry but have done well in the league and other c/ship games in the last 2 years. The jury will remain out until we beat Kerry in Croker or win an AI - I would be fairly hopeful that our lads have learned a lot and will get it right this year.
Old 24-05-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry K O Bama View Post
You have raised some interesting points here JF. I must admit that I am a little disappointed that Kieran O Connor is still on the Cork Panel and playing in clallenge games a fortnight before one of our really big games. O Connor is 30 now and whilst he had a very good game for Aghada vs Na Piarsaigh - He has been seriously exposed at the top level and is not a realistic option to start of come on as sub. Surely there must be better prospects in the county.

Ger Spillane is a difficult one - he was very good a few years ago but does seem to lack the pace needed for championship football - as you said, he had a few decent league games and played well at full-back (against Kerry ?) On balance, I would agree with you that he is not a realistic option but I can see why the management retains him.

Kevin McMahon is a strange choice to be getting runs in challenge games - with Goold, Lynch, Hayes and O Flynn, Cork seem to have good options - but I wouldn't mind seeing him in action - to judge.

There is no doubt that the O Connor and Harte Management teams have been important in Kerry and Tyrone's dominance. Counihan's management team hasn't inspired confidence yet against Kerry but have done well in the league and other c/ship games in the last 2 years. The jury will remain out until we beat Kerry in Croker or win an AI - I would be fairly hopeful that our lads have learned a lot and will get it right this year.
Yes the definitive judgement of Conor and this team will be an AI title, in fact I believe there is potential in the current panel for at least back to back titles.

To say that Conor doesn't inspire confidence or that the jury is out, is somewhat harsh in my view.

You got to admit that the football we are playing now is miles ahead of what we had under Billy’s second term as manager. We have admirable discipline and focus under Counihan, unfortunately the same can’t be said for the most recent Morgan era. While nobody will be satisfied until we bring Sam home, I have got say that overall Counihan has done a hell of a job so far.
Old 24-05-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry K O Bama View Post

To be fair, as a footballer, Kevin McMahon has more going for him than any of those others you name. But he has looked off the pace since he came back into the fold.
Old 24-05-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAvon08 View Post
Yes the definitive judgement of Conor and this team will be an AI title, in fact I believe there is potential in the current panel for at least back to back titles.

To say that Conor doesn't inspire confidence or that the jury is out, is somewhat harsh in my view.

You got to admit that the football we are playing now is miles ahead of what we had under Billy’s second term as manager. We have admirable discipline and focus under Counihan, unfortunately the same can’t be said for the most recent Morgan era. While nobody will be satisfied until we bring Sam home, I have got say that overall Counihan has done a hell of a job so far.
Harsh on Billy Morgan.He gave a lot of the team their break in football and we were in a bad way when he took over.He bought in things like taking the lads to manga and things like physical conditioning training.He got us back into an all ireland final and we gave Kerry two goals on a plate that day.There was no way they were 10 points a better team than us.