Cork Footballers - Page 4 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 08-05-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry K O Bama View Post
T
Starting forward 6 could be:- P O Neill, Donnacha O Connor, Daniel Goulding, Colm O Neill, M Cussen, James Masters ----- That would be a pretty strong line up - by far the best since we last won an AI.
That is some forward line in fairness.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:25 PM

You're leaving out Paul Kerrigan too.
who is an automatic in my book..
Old 08-05-2009, 02:27 PM

I would have PO'N in a central position anyway, either on the 40 or in midfield at the expense of AO'C.

Still convinced that Cussen isn't the man to play full forward it's time to shelf this experiment for the good of the team. FG wmight be worth a go there but if that was going to happen they would have tried it by now. Cussen seems like a game fella and god knows he gave the animals plaenty of it in PUC in the MF last June but in that was exception rarther than the rule.

48-0
Old 08-05-2009, 02:40 PM

I agree that a reliable free taker is vital to winning an AI.

We need to take at least 80% of our 45’s and all free kicks within 40 meters should be a ‘giveme’ at this level. The fact is that Masters, Goulding & O’Connor all have been ‘hit & miss’ over the past couple of seasons. I believe all 3 have the ability – but they need the application in the white heat of championship battle. It’s a mental challenge.

I’m not convinced that rotating the free taking between 2 or 3 players during a game is the best way to go. I understand some players are stronger on one side than the other but I would rather nominate one free taker to take responsibility for all kicks. Free taking is a speciality and requires particular mental strength. I would like to see one player taking it on his shoulders and preparing accordingly. When the responsibility is shared I don’t believe the free takers are as focused or mentally prepared as they could be.

If I had to pick one of the three it would be Goulding with Masters a close second.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapsy Pa View Post
I would have PO'N in a central position anyway, either on the 40 or in midfield at the expense of AO'C.

Still convinced that Cussen isn't the man to play full forward it's time to shelf this experiment for the good of the team. FG wmight be worth a go there but if that was going to happen they would have tried it by now. Cussen seems like a game fella and god knows he gave the animals plaenty of it in PUC in the MF last June but in that was exception rarther than the rule.
Cussen is of more use as an impact sub, when you need to change things up a little. Kerrigan did enough in the league to nail a place. Paddy Kelly impressed too but doubts remain over whether he is a genuine starter at 11 or not. We still don't know our best half forward line, that's a worry. Many players were tried there during the league, O'Flynn, Hayes, O'Neill, Kelly, Kerrigan, Gould, O'Connor, and a few more.

Here is what I think he will go with, as a starting forward line V Waterford:

P O'Neill, Kelly, Kerrigan
Goulding, O'Connor, Masters
Old 08-05-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombdiggity View Post
You're leaving out Paul Kerrigan too.
who is an automatic in my book..
I would put Pierce O'Neill into midfield with Paul Kerrigan to come into the half forward line.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelred View Post

P O'Neill, Kelly, Kerrigan
Goulding, O'Connor, Masters
No arguments there except
I'd swap Masters and Kerrigan.
Masters better out around the 40 picking up loose ball
and is very good at directing play and picking out passes.
Kerrigan more of a threat closer to goal
Old 09-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Senior PROC Member

Latest odds from Cashmans on the Senior Football championship.

Kerry 6/4
Tyrone 11/4
CORK 6/1
Dublin 13/2
Armagh 12/1
Galway 14/1

The reality is, whoever wins Sam will have to beat Kerry to do so. I believe that the Ulster teams are in decline. Armagh is gone and I doubt if Tyrone are capable of putting back to back all Irelands together, even the great Dooher can have very little left in the tank. Dublin are overrated, and simply do not have the quality to win an All Ireland. Galway lack consistency and blow hot and cold.

This is a very good Kerry team, and of the chasing pack, Cork is the only team with a realistic chance of beating them. Cork will probably meet them twice.
The first meeting, which historically we might be better off to lose, is only important for short term bragging rights and perhaps a psycological edge. the second meeting will decide the destination of Sam for 2009. I am off to Cashmans to get some of that 6/1
Old 09-05-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an liathroid beag View Post
Latest odds from Cashmans on the Senior Football championship.

Kerry 6/4
Tyrone 11/4
CORK 6/1
Dublin 13/2
Armagh 12/1
Galway 14/1

The reality is, whoever wins Sam will have to beat Kerry to do so. I believe that the Ulster teams are in decline. Armagh is gone and I doubt if Tyrone are capable of putting back to back all Irelands together, even the great Dooher can have very little left in the tank. Dublin are overrated, and simply do not have the quality to win an All Ireland. Galway lack consistency and blow hot and cold.

This is a very good Kerry team, and of the chasing pack, Cork is the only team with a realistic chance of beating them. Cork will probably meet them twice.
The first meeting, which historically we might be better off to lose, is only important for short term bragging rights and perhaps a psycological edge. the second meeting will decide the destination of Sam for 2009. I am off to Cashmans to get some of that 6/1
I have put 50 euros down on cork.Of the rest i have always admired the way galway teams play football.They have lovely forwards but there are too nice to win all irelands.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Senior PROC Member

The footballers may have to cede Aisake to the hurlers this year, as their need is the greatest, but who knows he is probably capable of doing both codes. Another Ray Cummins???