tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Official MLB Thread - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 17-02-2012, 10:30 PM

Default Official MLB Thread

May aswell get this started.

For starters, knuckleball master Tim Wakefield retires at the age of 45 after 17 seasons with the Red Sox and 19 in the majors.

The end of the knuckleball?

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/ar...s_bos&c_id=bos

Last edited by Rebelred; 30-01-2013 at 11:47 AM..
Old 18-02-2012, 04:31 AM

Gutted.

Hopefully the knuckleball continues to exist.
Old 18-02-2012, 01:46 PM

Location: Living in a candy jail Peppermint bars Peanut brittle bunk beds and marshmallow walls

The Yanks have made some nice signings in the off season. The A.L. East should be a dinger this year. Four teams arguably in with a shout.
Old 18-02-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delzer View Post
The Yanks have made some nice signings in the off season. The A.L. East should be a dinger this year. Four teams arguably in with a shout.
Yankees and Rays have both strengthened, bad news for Boston really. Unless they can find another pair of arms for the rotation, they'll struggle on the mound same as last year, moreso with Papelbon gone and Bard likely to move into the rotation.
Should be interesting in the AL west too, the Angels spent big (Pujols, Wislon) and Texas splashed the cash for Yu Darvish.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:03 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Month away from the opening day with Spring Training starting up this weekend.
And her iPod started to melt......
Old 02-03-2012, 11:03 PM

Location: Living in a candy jail Peppermint bars Peanut brittle bunk beds and marshmallow walls

Major League Baseball made it official Friday: It will add another wild-card team to each league. Thus, the number of playoff teams grows from eight to 10.

As expected, the two wild card teams in each league will play each other in a one-game playoff, with the winners advancing to face the top-seeded team in each league’s best-of-5 Division Series.

However, there is a one-time wrinkle in the plan. Because the 2012 regular season and postseason schedules already were in place, there was a possibility of some scheduling conflicts. Therefore, the wild-card winner will host the first two games of the Division Series and the division winner will host the final three games (if Games 4 and 5 are necessary), in order to eliminate a travel day. That same 2-3 format will be used in the LDS matchups between the other division winners.

In 2013 and beyond, the higher-seeded team in each LDS will host Games 1, 2 and 5 (if necessary).

One other notable tweak: Teams from the same division will be able to play each other in the Division Series round, a change from the history of the LDS.
The baseball playoffs are expanding to 10 teams for the 2012 season and the LDS format will be tweaked as well. (AP Photo)

"I greatly appreciate the MLBPA's cooperation in putting the new postseason format in place this year," commissioner Bud Selig said, according to MLB.com. "The enthusiasm for the 10-team structure among our clubs, fans and partners has been overwhelming.

"This change increases the rewards of a division championship and allows two additional markets to experience playoff baseball each year, all while maintaining the most exclusive postseason in professional sports."

The playoff expansion was agreed upon in the new collective bargaining agreement, which was ratified in December. However, there was a possibility that the two additional wild cards wouldn't be added until 2013, when the Houston Astros move from the National League to the American League to create two 15-team leagues.

“The players are eager to begin playing under this new format in 2012 and they look forward to moving to full realignment in 2013. Our negotiating committee and the owners’ representatives worked hard to develop a schedule that should make for fairer competition and provide our fans with a very exciting season,” said Michael Weiner, the executive director of the MLB players’ union.

MLB.com notes the postseason expansion came to fruition nearly two years after Selig appointed a 14-member committee to study on-field improvements to the sport.

The changes to the postseason are the first since 1994 when MLB realigned from a four-division setup to a six-division setup and added a wild card in each league. Because of the work stoppage that season, however, the changes didn’t go into effect until the 1995 postseason.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:25 PM

Poor AJ Burnett, If it wasn’t bad enough that he was traded from baseball’s penthouse the Yankees, to the outhouse the Pirates, he then manages to add injury to that insult by hit the ball into his left eye socket and fracturing his orbital bone.

Old 15-03-2012, 12:58 AM

Default Mexican Baseball Game Turns Into Gunfight

In what sounds like a storyline from season two of Eastbound and Down, a Mexican baseball game between Saltillo Saraperos and their youth squad was interrupted by a shootout between police and a local gang on Tuesday. According to reports from local media there was no injuries to the players after the gun battle broke.

Old 15-03-2012, 01:41 AM

Delzer,please tell me you're a Yankees fan
Old 15-03-2012, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaglas View Post
Delzer,please tell me you're a Yankees fan
Indeed i am